It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:22 am

Free Newsletter

Help me understand calories and how body fat generated.

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

Help me understand calories and how body fat generated.

Postby Nike » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:31 am

Lets get to same page all food contains Fat, Proteins and Carbohydrates. I been to physician and she told that only Fat can be adopted by body and generated into body fat.

And my question is why should one calculate calories then i.e. 1400-2000 kcal per day, what if someone start eating food that contains almost no Fat's, but 5000 kcal per day will he get fatter and what else will happen?

P.S. Can someone explain meaning of calories since as i read description it say's its heat generation measure or smth, if not get to technical can someone explain what calories show?
Nike

Re: Help me understand calories and how body fat generated.

Postby mumnbub » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:26 pm

That is why i take no notice whatsoever of caleries in foods, there is no point as far as i can see. I chose my foods based on whats got the most nutirents and lower in fat and sugar.
But I know that some people have lost great deals of weight by counting caleries so i guess it does work for some people.
Start weight: 98kg April 2008
22/12/08- 80.7kg
29/12/08- 81.8kg
04/01/09- 81.6kg
12/01/09- 81kg
19/01/09- 80kg
09/02/09- 79.3kg
Next goal 75kg

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waXaD9j/]
[/url]
mumnbub

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:04 pm

There are a few myths about this and while I hate to gainsay a GP I think she is wrong in this instance. Fat isn't the only thing to turn into fat. Carbs and even proteins can turn into fat. A more accurate way to describe it is that fat is the easiest thing for the body to turn into fat, carbs can also be turned into fat but it takes a bit more energy, and it takes a lot of work for the body to turn protein into fat.

It's hard for the body to break down fat as an energy source. It prefers carbohydrates as fuel. So unless you have a calorie deficit (ie. you've eaten fewer calories than it takes for your body to maintain its weight) your body will turn any fat you eat into fat. It's too much hard work to break it down for energy and the body is an inherently lazy thing. :wink:

The best energy source for the body is carbohydrates. The body breaks down the carbs and takes the resulting sugars and puts them into the bloodstream where organs can quickly use it for energy. It also stores some as glycogen in the liver for later energy use. Anything left over is stored as fat. Then the laws of fat apply and the body won't burn that fat unless it has a calorie deficit and needs that fuel.

Protein is used as a building block by the body. It's broken down into peptides and then into amino acids. The amino acids enter the bloodstream where they are used to build and repair muscle and enter the body's protein stores. Excess amino acids are then broken down into fats and sugars, which follow the above process and then can be added to your fat stores unless you have a calorie deficit and the body needs those fats and sugars to operate.

So all three can become fat, it just takes a hell of a lot more processing to turn protein into fat than it does to turn fat into fat!

This is why, in my opinion, calorie intake vs. calorie output is still the driving force of weight gain and weight loss. If you eat more carbs than your body needs it will turn those carbs into fat. If you eat more protein than your body needs it will turn those amino acids into sugars and fat.

That said, given it actually requires energy (ie. burns calories) to turn protein into fat you would have to eat a lot more over your recommended daily calorie intake for protein to turn to fat than if you were eating mostly carbs or mostly fat. So in that regard the low-carb, high protein diets are right. However if you eat far too much you will still get fat! Another way that low-carb diets work is that fat and protein keep you fuller longer (remembering that most low-carb diets permit more fat than other diets), so while these types of diets claim it's not about calorie counting the main reason they work is because you eat less and as a result consume fewer calories!

The carbs vs. fats vs. protein debate is a highly contested topic in weight loss circles. Many people have a different dog in the fight and will back other viewpoints. I'm on the side of calorie counting, which is usually a pretty unpopular side to be on! I personally believe it all comes down to calories consumed vs. your metabolism of those calories and the processing of different food types is just another element to add to the equation. Others may think differently and I'm happy to listen to their opinions too.

Hope this helps!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Gordz » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:55 pm

wow Ali, do you do any work? :)
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Start date: 12/8/2013
Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:57 pm

Haha. Not much today I'm afraid! I'm in the mood for procrastination. This forum fits the bill perfectly!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Gordz » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:32 pm

agreed. I just found calorieking.com... wow i can waste some time on that.
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Start date: 12/8/2013
Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby mumnbub » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:18 pm

I do think calerie counting works as long as you consider all types of food when counting caleries- you cant just choose those foods lower in caleries, there is more to food than that. I was losing weight when i counted caleries and was really looking at my foods but found it too annoyingsitting there recording foods, analising which ones, becoming depressed when i went even 5caleries over! I was then cutting the number more and more and more- i was obsessed . So i dont think it works because it restricts people and many dont think enough about the foods.
Icould be wrong- in fact i know some people who have lost alot of weight by doing it, one lady has lost 40kg so far but she sticks to 1000 caleries a day.
Start weight: 98kg April 2008
22/12/08- 80.7kg
29/12/08- 81.8kg
04/01/09- 81.6kg
12/01/09- 81kg
19/01/09- 80kg
09/02/09- 79.3kg
Next goal 75kg

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waXaD9j/]
[/url]
mumnbub

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:54 pm

I think that argument could be applied to any planned form of eating. If you just follow one rule like it's set in stone chances are you're going to stuff up. Take healthy balanced eating for example. I've been vegan for years. According to the authors of 'Skinny B1tch' that should have meant I was thin (they advocate veganism as a form of weight loss). According to most people I spoke to it should have made me thin because they assumed you only get fat eating animal products. Statistically I should have been thin. I made sure I ate adequate amounts of healthy fats, protein and wholegrain carbs, and lots of fruit and veg. But just making sure I had plenty of everything didn't mean I lost weight - quite the opposite! I gained 20 kg on my 'healthy' vegan diet. Because while I was making sure I ate everything I needed, I ate too much of it! In that instance calorie counting could have been the thing that fixed my diet and turned it from something unhealthy to something healthy.

The same goes for calorie counting. You need additional information to make it work properly. Weight Watchers has a simplified form of calorie counting with their points. However it is designed to be done in conjunction with meetings where the meeting leader educates you about nutrition. Sadly some people who do calorie counting outside of a structured program don't bother about learning about nutrition. Some people on meal replacements don't worry about learning about nutrition either. Ditto for people relying on Lean Cuisine, Lite n' Easy or a dozen other plans. That doesn't mean that all people fall into that trap, though.

Mumnbub, you found that calorie counting didn't work for you because you focussed on it to the exclusion of good nutrition. I found that a varied and full diet didn't work for me because I focussed on it to the exclusion of making sure I was burning more calories than I was consuming. All plans need checks and balances to make sure you don't overeat, under-eat, over-exercise, under-exercise and so on. Education is the key and personally I think that's why a forum like this works. Rather than operating on nutritional myths or instinct we can get a variety of opinions, research them ourselves and see what works for us.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby sheena » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:40 pm

Our no links please shows calories in food and drinks that are regularly eaten. Calorie counting is the best way to lose weight, if you eat less calories than you burn in a day you will lose weight, and you can include your favourite foods.

This menu provides 1000 calories, 60g protein, 145g carbohydrate, 21g fat.
Breakfast

* Banana sandwich made with 2 small slices of wholemeal bread and a small banana.
* 200ml glass of orange juice

Morning Snack

* 100g pot of low fat fruit yoghurt

Lunch

* 1 wholemeal roll (45g) filled with 70g tuna (canned in brine) and 10g reduced calorie mayonnaise
* Mixed salad of 50g lettuce, 50g red or yellow sweet peppers, 10g spring onions.

Afternoon Snack

* 28g bag of lower fat crisps (eg. Walkers Lites)

Dinner

* 70g Roast Chicken breast (without skin)
* 80g Potatoes, mashed with 30ml semi-skimmed milk
* 60g Broccoli, steamed or boiled
* 50g Carrots, boiled
* 100ml Gravy (made from granules)

Evening

* 1 serving of low calorie Hot Chocolate Drink made with powder and water (eg. Cadbury's Highlights)

Women will lose 2-4 lbs in a week, men 3-5 lbs in a week, depending on start weight and activity level. It is not recommended that calories be so restricted for more than one week - for most people this level of calories is too low to obtain enough nutrition, and may have the effect of slowing metabolism.
sheena

Postby sheena » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:48 pm

Count the Calories or Increase Activity

A calorie is a unit of heat and energy, created by the body "burning up" the food we eat. This calorie or measurement of heat unit is the basis for determining what our weight should be and what our diet should be. In determining how many calories you actually need, scientists use specific terms to indicate how many calories you need just to stay alive, keep your heart going, and your temperature normal.
sheena

Return to Diet Talk