It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:13 pm

Free Newsletter

Alcohol and calories.

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

Alcohol and calories.

Postby Annie.J » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:25 pm

Hey guys, I wasn't sure if this topic belonged here but I thought it will be kind of relevant. I am planning to have a big night out on Saturday which means hitting up the bar lol and I was wondering what are some of the better choices of alcohol that aren't so calorie dense. I usually drink baileys on the rocks, vodka sunrises, a few shots, etc. Does anybody know what some of the lower calorie alcoholic drinks are?

Thanks for all your help :P
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wNrFX3J/]
Annie.J

Re: Alcohol and calories.

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:35 pm

If you want to drink full strength drinks your best bets would be Pure Blonde beer (it's low carb and has a few less calories than normal full strength beer), or vodka with a diet soft drink mixer.

Cutting back the alcohol content also cuts back the calories. So light beers are lower in calories than full strength beers. Or you could have white wine spritzers that mix white wine with soda water. With these options you don't get quite so drunk quite so quickly, which could be a good or bad thing depending on your intentions!

Calorie King has a list of alcoholic beverages. You can click on the link to find out their exact calorie content.

Just be careful not to eat fatty food while you're drinking! Alcohol metabolises differently than other foods or drinks. Your body doesn't store alcohol. So any calories not processed will simply pass out of your system. HOWEVER, the body gives alcohol precedence over other foods when it processes those calories. So if you eat some fish and chips while drinking beer the body will process the beer calories and simply save the fish and chip calories for later. And as we all know stored calories = fat! Since it's very easy for the body to turn fat into fat, any fat you consume while drinking is very likely to end on your thighs. And since alcohol lowers your willpower you are more likely to eat fatty foods while drunk than while sober. Obviously you need to eat before drinking or you are going to absorb the alcohol too quickly and get very ill. Try and eat a healthy low fat meal beforehand. See if there are some healthy options for snacking during your drinking too so you're not tempted by Hungry Jacks or potato chips!

Hope you have a great time!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Gordz » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:36 pm

another quality post thanks EWQ. Will keep that in mind if i'm to have a big night out (unlikely till i look good!) haha. I'm a shocker for those drunken kebabs too. :oops:

:lol:
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Start date: 12/8/2013
Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby Annie.J » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:02 am

Wow that was very helpful EWQ, thank you so much!
Haha, I only really drink alcohol once in awhile and I don't usually snack while drinking so I think I will be okay.
Thanks again and also, congrats on your weightloss so far EWQ. I'm aiming to get under 70 by the end of this year... I'm hovering around 71-72 atm so hopefully I can do it! :P
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wNrFX3J/]
Annie.J

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:26 am

No worries at all, Annie! Good luck with getting under 70 by the end of the year. I'm sure you can do it! :D

cheers,
Ali
EvilWombatQueen

Postby claudiajenfer1 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:56 pm

Alcohol contains 7 calories per gram. In comparison, protein and carbohydrates contain 4 calories per gram, and fat contains 9 calories per gram. The difference is the carbohydrates proteins and fats in their box nutrition calories. Calories from alcohol does not give food, nor satisfy hunger. This is easy to keep drinking and to accumulate a lot of calories to count.
Last edited by Butterfly_Dawn on Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: link in signature removed
claudiajenfer1

Postby kotobird » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:05 am

my favourite diet alcoholic drink is vodka, soda and fresh lime - so refreshing! And only about 60 calories per standard drink :wink:

SW: 83.1
MG 1: 78kg ACHIEVED!
MG 2: 75kg
MG 3: 72.5kg
MG 4: 70kg
Final Goal: 67kg
kotobird

Postby beverlyann » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:07 am

Alcohol like most everything that contains calories, but there are some important differences. The first problem is that all the calories from alcohol have no value. This means that not a single calorie of alcohol are nutritious, they are empty calories. Like other caloric, which to buy alcohol is processed in the liver. calories from alcohol are like tyrants, they have to be burned, leaving all other calories stored patience, and we all know that calories are stored, they are fat.
Last edited by EvilWombatQueen on Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: It is against forum rules to use your signature for advertising.
beverlyann

Postby EmSanders » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:54 pm

Hey,
I don't think Baileys is the best option for low calories but I drink low calorie beer and wine usually.
If you have a look at Wendy Harmer's new website called "The Hoopla", there is a really great article on there about low calorie wines. It also gives some recommendations and prices on the best low calorie wines.
Although, if you are up for a big night remember that low calorie wine generally has low alcohol content!
EmSanders

Postby chevbrock » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:47 pm

Even low-carb beer contains calories, so just be careful of the content - just sayin'.

I'm no expert, but I reckon soda water as a mixer is going to lessen the blow on the waistline, over fruit juice or soft drinks. The horrid cordials they put in like grenadine and lime cordial are pretty much pure sugar, so try to avoid those, too.

I like vodka and soda, too. If the establishment is high-class enough, they can put a slice of lemon in for me!
chevbrock

Return to Diet Talk