It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:28 am

Free Newsletter

Quick question

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

Quick question

Postby Gordz » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:49 pm

Been using calorie king, and noting how the food makes the scale go up, but the excercise makes the scale go down

My question:

Is it better to not have the calories in the first place, or have them and work them plus more off?
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Start date: 12/8/2013
Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Re: Quick question

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:08 pm

It's better to include exercise for both weight loss and general health. Make sure your net calories after exercise are at your recommeded level for weight loss. Usually that will mean having an extra snack or two to make up for the exercise calories lost. You can burn off 'extra' calories, but make sure your net calories at the end of the day aren't too low. If they go below about 1200 calories your body will go into starvation mode which affects your metabolism and slows weight loss.

The benefits of exercise to weight loss are:
* Exercise increases your metabolism for as much as 24 hours after exercise, meaning you'll burn more fat.
* Exercise that builds muscle increases your metabolism because muscle burns more calories while resting than fat does.
* Resistance exercise helps tone the body, meaning you will look a lot better than if you were the same weight but with a higher percentage of body fat.
* Studies have repeatedly shown that people who lose weight through a combination of diet and exercise are more likely to keep the weight off than those who lose weight through diet alone.

The benefits of exercise to health are:
* Increased muscle strengthens your bones meaning less risk of osteoperosis.
* Cardio strengthens your heart meaning you'll live longer.
* Cardio exercises also increases your lung capacity.
* Running (which I believe is your preferred exercise) aids the digestive process because the movement gets your intestinal tract working more efficiently.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Gordz » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:26 pm

Thanks Ali, you're a star!

It turns out i'm not actually consuing that many calories! after excercise, i'm apparently down to 980 for the day. So i should look at a snack or two during the day to help me from going into starvation mode.

I think the major contributing factor to my weight gain was excessive alcohol and eating while intoxicated... I have that in check now so hopefully it'll be fairly smooth sailing
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:44 pm

If you're under in your calories I highly recommend adding a handful of nuts to your diet each day. They're full of protein and healthy fats so they're incredibly good for you! As snacks go it's a great way to make up for a big calorie deficit.

I know what you mean about alcohol and crap food adding heaps of calories. I've noticed recently when I haven't been drinking during the week it can be really easy to eat too little.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Gordz » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:07 pm

I have some chashews in the pantry, unsalted ones too (good for the body, bad for the tastebuds) might go have a few and sit down to watch neigbours =)
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby Czarina » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:05 am

Gordz wrote:I think the major contributing factor to my weight gain was excessive alcohol and eating while intoxicated...

I know exactly where you're coming from! That was definitely the main reason why I gained 20kg last year whilst laid up with a broken ankle...my boyfriend would say "Just going out to water the garden.", then 15 minutes later he would enter the room with a big grin and a bottle of Tequila! After we drank that we'd usually crack a bottle of red and then came the bad food...LOL.
Czarina

Postby Gordz » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:47 am

hahaha sounds great!

... *smack* no it doesn't :evil:

i think the cars engine blowing up is a blessing in disguise... I can't go get take away or grog even if i want to! Just a shame it's summer. Would love to take off down the beach in the ute. Swimming would be a great way to get the heart pumping without impact.
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Return to Diet Talk