It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:20 am

Free Newsletter

Salt?

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

Salt?

Postby Snowflake » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:11 am

Hi guys,
Im new here and posted my little blurb in the introduction area :) I just had a little question/query/concern.
So I used calorie king, and it said I should eat 1400 calories a day to lose 1kg a week. Ive been following it pretty closely and exercising like crazy. I weighed in today after 10 days and Ive gained 500 grams. I know that's not a huge amount but I kind of thought the first couple of weeks I would lose at least something?
So ive been eating 1400 calories or under, but to be honest a lot of it is coming from carbs. I find im so hungry if I dont eat any rice or bread so ive had a hard time kicking those out. Also because ive been eating steamed veggies and skinless chicken breast or white fish, im finding it quite bland and have been adding salt to almost all meals. I also made a huge pot of chicken noodle soup - I didnt add any fat and used skinless chicken breast and only a handfull of whole wheat pasta, but I again used lots of spices and salt and pepper and a couple chicken stock cubes. Ive been eating it for days and today my pants felt tight and my stomach felt HUGE! I am realizing since I weighed in today that this salt and carbs must be affecting my weight loss because surely I would have lost at least a couple hundred grams after 10 days?
Anyone have any suggestions or answers?
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w5WLHBp/]
Snowflake

Re: Salt?

Postby Karnak » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:38 pm

First off congrats for the 10 days of being good. Sure the weightloss wasn't as hoped but your at least on track behaviour wise which is a huge step. Additionally I think your on the right track with your calorie count and for using calorie king. Theres 101 different types of diets out there and the one thing they all have in common is recording your food intake - so well done.

As for the lack of loss - I think you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned salt. I'm not a subscriber to the restrictive carbs diet, I think its all about energy in, energy out so I won't blame your carb intake but too much salt in your diet can lead to changes in your water retainment. The handy thing is that Calorie King will happily keep track of your salt intake if you ask it to (set nutritional targets, enter in rda which I think is around 1800mg in AU, the US is 2400mg, the UK is 1600mg). That will at least let you be aware of the salt your consuming.

So - rather than salt how about you play around with the herb and spices section of the supermarket. With most spices costing about $2.40 each you could try a new one each week and it wouldn't blow your budget. Paprika is one that springs to mind. For the fish how about lemongrass and lemon ?. For chickenbreast chop up an apricot, add half a teaspoon of jam to stick it together and stuff it inside the breast before steaming and sprinkle with fresh parsley - you won't need salt. With dieting it all about thinking outside the box to get the flavours as unfortuantly most of the flavours we are accustomed to come from fat, sugar and salt.

However, there are dozens of things that can result in small weight gains, certain times of the month, (presuming you are female here, if not - Mr Snowflake my apologies), changes in diet, muscle changes and sometimes just that this week isn't your week.

Keep exercising, regular rather than crazy bursts will help with salt and fluid retention - just don't loose heart, you'll get there :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wy5Nvxw/]
[/url]
Karnak

Postby Snowflake » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:04 pm

Thanks for that!! I appreciate you replying so quickly :) I seem to know heaps about carbs and calories and fat grams, but when it comes down to salt im pretty ignorant! I need to start paying more attention to it because it definitely seems to be making a difference. Just out of curiousity today I weighed myself and the 500grams is gone so thats a relief..Ive been cutting down a bit on salt the past few days so hopefully thats it.
Im in it for the long haul this time because everytime I push myself too hard with dieting I lose a couple kg's. So im not gonna stress if it takes a while because if I think about it rationally I am gonna be this weight or heavier if I dont do something about it in 3 months, 6 months and a year from now.
Anyways starting tomorrow im gonna see if I can cut right down on the salt, I will try all your suggestions. I am almost obsessed with watching cooking shows and its hard now to make good food healthy, but its a good challenge for me. I am doing ok with all the fats and oils and cutting that all out, but watch a cooking show for 5 minutes and see how many times they season every part of the dish with salt and pepper, haha its crazy.
Plus im noticing all the low fat snacks like rice crackers or rice cakes for example are covered in salty flavouring to make it more edible..Ive just got to find something else to snack on I guess!!
So anyways thanks heaps for that, I think ive just gotta acquire a taste for less salty food! Even if not just for weight loss but for health in general.
Im gonna buy some apricots and try that chicken tomorrow! :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w5WLHBp/]
Snowflake

Postby mumnbub » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:58 pm

I think adding more proten will fill you up as will having more omega-3s in your diet. I find if i eat too much bread/pasta I cant lose anything so have cut almost all of it out. Salt will result in water retention so best to avoid it as much as possible. Try stir frying your vegies without oil and maybe add a little bit of sauce (a bit cant hurt too much if it gets you eating veggies). I find if i eat a plainer lunch and breaky then its ok to add a bit more flavour to my dinner, i also dont have a large amount of food at night, i eat larger amounts in the first half of the day.
Start weight: 98kg April 2008
22/12/08- 80.7kg
29/12/08- 81.8kg
04/01/09- 81.6kg
12/01/09- 81kg
19/01/09- 80kg
09/02/09- 79.3kg
Next goal 75kg

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waXaD9j/]
[/url]
mumnbub

Return to Diet Talk