It is currently Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:13 am

Free Newsletter

I cannot control my eating of junk food

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

I cannot control my eating of junk food

Postby JacquiWade » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:21 pm

Hello everyone,

I am a working executive, working long hours and addicted to fast food, usually eating while I'm in the office. I seem to eat whether I'm hungry or not and have got to a stage where I am unable to control my eating habit. Unfortunately, my weight is increasing and I'm being forced to buy clothes a size larger than normal. I can devote a little time to exercise, but is there a recommended safe way to lose weight? I've heard of all these diets, such as Atkins, that don't sound very healthy at all.

Re: I cannot control my eating of junk food

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:54 am

It depends on the person. I know people who swear by low carb and get all the nutrients they need following those sorts of eating plans. Personally I find that low GI works for me. Others use meal replacement shakes or programs like Weight Watchers with great effect. There are hundreds of weight loss systems out there because no one plan suits everyone. I think the trick is to look at your lifestyle and figure out what will work for you.

If you have the money and need convenience have you considered Lite n Easy? That way you can bring your meals pre-prepared to work rather than popping out for takeaway. And you don't have to worry about finding time to cook. If you can find a way to fit in a half hour's brisk walking per day on top of that you'll be laughing.

Postby mumnbub » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:10 pm

I went through a few years of eating junk knowing i shouldn't, wanting to lose weight but just could not stop myself- each time i would say "ok, thats it! no more junk foods" but i would go back for more. I decided that i needed to sort "me" out first before i could think about my eating habbits. I knew i had no faith in myself, no confidance but also knew i had something to offer- it was a battle. Once i started talking about everything i found the motivation i needed to sort my body out. I found foods that i loved but were healthy so did not feel as bad for eating them (like sushi :) ) I then was able to cut out the junk foods as i wanted to eat other foods. It takes time to change a habbit and sometimes thats all it is- just eating out of habbit. Apparently it takes 21 days so just set yourself a goal of eating no junk foods for 21 days then work on the rest. there might still be times when you want something junky but its usually when you have not been eating enough of the right foods or drinking enough water- the less water i drink the more junk i crave.

Make food easy- if you need to cook in bulk so all you do at night is press start on the microwave then so be it, make your lunch up to take to work, if you dont and just tell yourself that you will buy a salad at lunch then by the time you get away from your desk to get lunch your hungry and therefore the cravings will have hit and be wanting junk foods but if you have lunch ready to go then its easier to eat the healthy food.

There are hundreds of diet plans out there but you need to do what suits you- it might be a case of trial and error, some do fine just cutting out bad foods and eating the right ones but others need a kick start or help planning meals, just see what works for you and your lifestyle.

Good luck
Start weight: 98kg April 2008
22/12/08- 80.7kg
29/12/08- 81.8kg
04/01/09- 81.6kg
12/01/09- 81kg
19/01/09- 80kg
09/02/09- 79.3kg
Next goal 75kg

Postby Fireball » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:21 am

That's a really good point you made about the habit MumnBub. I was listening to some Psychs on the radio discussing change and they said
We have 100,000s of unconscious thoughts in our mind all day long. We need to become aware of what we are thinking because we make decisions based on these unchallenged thoughts. Pretty scarey stuff!
We need to decide to make things a habit and it takes time ~ 21 days to get used to it so your brain starts to accept it as normal.
If you want to change something you need to replace it with something else. Take a bad habit and replace it with a good habit, eg. Dont just say, I wont eat take away, replace it with ....

"Unknowingly, we plow the dust of the stars, blown about us by the wind, and drink the universe in a glass of rain."
Ihab Hassan

Return to Diet Talk