It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:26 am

Free Newsletter

I <3 Carbs

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

I <3 Carbs

Postby Snowflake » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:32 pm

Hi guys - Im on week 3 now of healthy eating and exercising like a crazy person, and ive lost a tiny bit of weight but I want to try even harder next week to start losing more. I even faced my fear and booked an appointment with a personal trainer, ahhh!! So my question is - what can I be eating in substitute of bread, rice, and pasta. I always buy the grainiest bread I can find, either burgen or helgas mixed grain. I am also wondering, what is the REAL difference between brown and white rice and pasta? I have swapped to both because I know they are better, and I know they have more fibre, but ive been comparing the nutritional information and noticed whole wheat pasta/rice actually has more calories and fat and not a whole lot of fibre - the brands I have only have 2 grams each which doesnt seem like a whole lot to me? When trying to lose weight, should I be eating these at all or try to scratch them entirely....I just find im so hungry without carbs!
I went on atkins a few years ago and ate nothing but pepperoni, cheese, eggs and bacon and lost 10kg in 3 weeks - it was crazy! So I know that carbs obviously play a part in losing weight, but I cant live without them and a few weeks after I lost that weight on atkins I went straight back to eating carbs.
Anyways any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w5WLHBp/]
Snowflake

Re: I <3 Carbs

Postby SarahC » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:43 am

Hi - there's plenty of things you can eat apart from bread/rice/pasta.

You can get low carb bread. It comes as a bread mix, so you need to bake it yourself. But, well, if I can do it, anyone can lol - no breadmaking skills required. It's on http://www.empowerfoods.com.au - in the "products" section, called "golden wholemeal". (yum) Also, check out their Power Wraps - only about 3g carbs per wrap.

For pasta - there's a "50% less carbs" ( :roll: ) brand in the supermarket called eSapore. It should be in amongst all the regular pastas. Apart from that, try shredded steamed cabbage. It looks just like pasta, kind of tastes like it too if you use your imagination lol. And, you're getting in some fibre. If you want to make lasagne - zucchini or eggplant work great as lasagne sheets.

There's no low-carb version of rice unfortunately. Try getting some cauliflower or cabbage into your food processor, then boil it lightly - that works great as "rice"

Hope that helps :D
SarahC

Postby Gordz » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:46 am

thanks for that link... looking at it now. How do you cook it? (I'm male)
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Start date: 12/8/2013
Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby warriorsgirl » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:57 pm

I use Moutain Bread - its like a wrap bread, very delicious and its low on carb count, mostly are only 13g per serve but if you can find the 'Rye' type it's only 9g per serve.
Good Luck!
warriorsgirl

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:39 pm

Snowflake wrote: I always buy the grainiest bread I can find, either burgen or helgas mixed grain. I am also wondering, what is the REAL difference between brown and white rice and pasta?

Brown rice and other wholegrains still have the bran layer on them, whereas with white rice and processed grains have both the hull and bran removed. Wholegrain products such as wholegrain pasta are made from the original wholegrain so the bran attached to the grain would now be a part of the product.

You can see the layers of bran on a grain of rice in the following diagram:

This has two effects on how we digest them. Firstly bran cannot be broken down and absorbed by the body so it provides roughage in the form of insoluble fibre (more about fibre here). This prevents constipation and has also been shown to lower cholesterol. The second effect on digestion is that the added bran means the food is digested at a slower rate. Not only does this mean it keeps you fuller for longer, it also means that sugar is released into the blood at a more constant rate. A slow release of blood sugar prevents 'sugar spikes' or 'sugar rushes' which see you full of energy for half an hour after eating a processed grain such as white bread, but craving carbs again soon after. The slow release of sugars in wholegrains mean you have a constant energy source for a few hours after eating.

If you absolutely love carbs have you considered the low GI diet? It rates foods containing carbs depending on how quickly they release sugar into the blood, or their Glycaemic Index. They are supposed to keep you fuller longer. I've been including a lot more low GI carbs in my diet and I've found it does take away a lot of the urge to snack. My mum lost a heap of weight following low GI strictly.

You have to also look at the fat content, though. Adding fat to carbs slows digestion, so for instance potato chips technically have a lower GI than baked potatoes. And I wouldn't recommend potato chips as a weight-loss food!

Here is a link to a site that has a lot more information about low GI. And here is the list of low GI foods on that site.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Snowflake » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:32 pm

Thats HEAPS ewq. That really sums it all up for me. Im just gonna try to eat whole grains but less of them, cause my weight doesnt seem to be budging the past couple weeks.
In your opinion is it better to have whole grains or try to cut out carbs completely?
Cool sarah im gonna try some of those, I came up with lots of stuff to substitute carbs when I was doing atkins - but I pretty much traded the carbs for pure fat. Like instead of mashed potatoes I made steamed cauliflower and then mashed it up, but used heaps of butter and cream to make it taste similar. Or ate all the toppings off pizza and left the bread, haha yuck.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w5WLHBp/]
Snowflake

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:32 pm

Snowflake wrote:In your opinion is it better to have whole grains or try to cut out carbs completely?

In my opinion it depends on the person!

Some people find that low carb works brilliantly for them. I find it doesn't work for me. I like carbs too much, and being vegan makes it difficult to find a wide variety of low-carb high-protein foods that don't make me bloat excessively. There are only so many beans and soy products I want to eat in a day, after all!

Mind you, I've tried A LOT of different weight-loss plans out there! I lost a few kilos doing food combining but found it too hard to stick to. I lost a few kilos on Weight Watchers but couldn't afford to keep attending their meetings. I lost a bit of weight calorie counting, but I have a tendency to overestimate the amount of calories in my meals so I plateau really easily doing it. Low GI is working for me for the moment, but that's because my body hasn't adjusted to it yet! When it does I'll probably have to switch to a different plan for a few weeks to get the weight moving again.

My advice? Try low carb for a week or two if you think it might appeal to you. Then try low GI for a week or two. Compare results, how you feel and how easy each are to stick to. Think about how long you're going to have to stick to this eating plan to get to your goal weight. If you only need to lose a few kilos and you want to lose it quickly then choose the plan that makes you lose weight fastest. If you have more to lose and you'll need to stick to your new eating plan for more than a few months then it's more important to choose the one easiest to stick to.

Another thing, I found that increasing my meal size actually helped. I wasn't snacking between meals or going back for seconds in an hour's time. Prior to that I was obsessed with making my meals smaller, or reducing the amount of carbs I was eating at meals. It only made me want to snack more between meals! Now I have a good serving of low GI food instead and eat until I don't want any more. The tips I find help me most: Eat until you're only just full. Eat slowly so your brain has time to register that it's satisfied. It takes about 20 minutes for the chemicals to get to the brain that signal you're full. Chewing helps as well. The action of chewing actually helps trigger the 'full' feeling in the brain, so chew your food longer than you normally would!

Good luck!
EvilWombatQueen

Return to Diet Talk