It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:15 am

Free Newsletter

I want to lose 7 to 8 kg within 3 months; what should I do?

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

I want to lose 7 to 8 kg within 3 months; what should I do?

Postby Tamara » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:09 pm

Hiiii
I want to lose 7-8 kgs in the coming 3 months. .. I am doing workouts, walking and exercises daily, but not getting the kind of result as I want. Can anyone please guide me?
Tamara

Re: I want to lose 7 to 8 kg within 3 months; what should I do?

Postby Jisgone » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:41 pm

theres no miracle cure
eat less and move more and just be patient :) crash diets dont work
Jisgone

Postby Czarina » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:55 am

Check out http://www.calorieking.com.au, you can enter in all of your details, height, weight, etc...and it will tell you how many calories you should be consuming to lose a healthy .5kg - 1kg a week. Then you know you are doing what you have to do to lose the weight, no guessing involved! :D
Czarina

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:57 am

Different methods work for different people. There are many different alternatives out there.

Czarina mentioned Calorie King. That's a brilliant resource if you want to count calories and has worked for many people here. Even if you don't want to count calories it's great for looking up the calorie and fat content of different types of food so you can make healthier choices (for instance if you're trying to decide between sushi or a ham and salad roll for lunch).

There is Weight Watchers which is really good. They will teach you about nutrition and give you guidelines which will help you lose weight. I used to be a member and I found the meetings were terrific for face-to-face support.

There are meal-replacement strategies like Optislim or Celebrity Slim. These work for some people, but others prefer to have real meals. There is also the accusation that they teach you nothing about nutrition so you are likely to regain the weight once you stop using the program. Personally I think meal replacement is best done under medical supervision so if this is the program you're interested in please talk to your doctor first. If you replace all of your meals you end up on a starvation level of calories so it has the potential to be harmful to your health if done to excess.

If you are money-rich and time poor then Lite n' Easy might be a good option. They deliver the meals to your door and it's just a matter of heating them up. If you normally live on takeaway this could be a good way to ease into eating healthier foods.

There are also many books out there. The South Beach Diet, Atkins, Low GI. They all have different ways of restructuring your eating to make sure you lose weight while staying full. Again different plans work for different people. Check your local library to see if they have any books on these plans. That way you can read up on them and see which, if any, will suit you.

There's also mind programming. If it's your attitude towards food that's letting you down, for instance if you'd rather eat a bag of chips than a healthy salad, then mind-programming or hypnosis could help you on your way. There are two book/CD sets that I've tried that I highly recommend: Paul McKenna's 'I can make you thin' and Jon Gabriel's 'The Gabriel Method'. Again, check your local library to see if they have them. That way you can try them out and buy them if you think it will suit you. Or if you can afford it you could see a hypnotherapist for a private consultation.

You could bring in professional help. If you were remodelling your house you'd want qualified tradespeople to work on it so why should your body be different? You can contact an accredited dietitian to overhaul your eating plans, and a personal trainer will help you do the right exercise for the achievements you want.

If you can't afford any of these plans (aside from Calorie King which is free) then you can do what a lot of people here do. Cut down on the high calorie, high fat food. Eat more healthy fruits, salads and steamed veggies. Opt for grilled meat rather than fried. Cut down on your processed carbs like white bread. And just start walking between 30 and 60 minutes per day. That should be enough to at least start you on your path to weight loss.

Above all, don't get disheartened if you find a plan hard to stick to or that it's not working. Like I said earlier, different plans work for different people. You may need to try a few before you find the one that works for you.

Good luck!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby dotflower » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:16 am

The quickest and easiest way to lose that weight i.e. 8kg in 8 weeks is to go low carb.
Remember that prior to the Agricultural revolution, our ancestors only ate meat, fish, chicken, vegetables, and the occassional fruit and berries they could find. Our bodies have not evolved since this!!!!! There was no such thing as muesli bars, processed cereals, pasta, bread, coca-cola, cakes, pizzas etc. Since the introduction of "low fat" foods, the population has actually become fatter, and the carbohydrate content of these foods higher. So, in my opinion the answer is, keep to under 50gm of carbohydrate per day and you will definitely lose at least 1kg per week without exercising. You can "up" this to around 80gms of carbohydrates if you are happy and prepared to do some exercise as well. These "diet shake" diets all work due to keeping under a certain amount of carbs per day. The Xndo shakes are very delicious (especially the iced coffee). If you have two of these each day, then have a low carb meal of meat and vegetables (or green salad) every night, you will also lose 1kg a week as it works the same way. Of course, if you prefer to "save" your carb allotment for something else, you could have bacon and eggs for breakfast, an Atkins Advantage shake for morning tea (only 3g of carb), a low carb "Power Wrap" with plenty of ham, cheese, tomato, lettuce,and really creamy mayo for lunch (not low fat), an Atkins Shake for afternoon tea, and then any low carb meal at night eg meat and vegetables (no potato). This would only add to around 35gm per day of carb, so you would definitely lose weight. This is my current diet and I have lost an average 1kg per week. I have lost 14kg in 12 weeks and I am looking better and feeling great. The most wonderful thing about this diet is that you are never hungry. Having too many carbohydrates is what makes people crave more. With this diet you have to remind yourself to eat as it naturally suppresses your hunger. Also, the pizzas are lovely, but you need to make up the base from the Empower foods "golden wheat" bread mix, which means the whole pizza only has around 16gms of carbohydrate, so of course, half the pizza only has 8gms. We have this at least once a week. I have just purchased some Xndo shakes as these are quick and easy for breakfast and afternoon tea, Monday to Friday at work. I will still have my "wrap" for lunch and my normal low carb meal at night. The Empower foods for the bread mix and the wraps can be purchases online or from "Heathy Life" shops.
So, in summary, don't go low fat, go low carb. I hope you will give this a go as it does work. Once you are at your goal weight, you can then up your carb intake to around 100gm per day and include some nice fruit or some pasta, rice, bread, yoghurt, chocolate. This will then help you to "maintain" as you will be still able to eat your favourite carbohydrates providing the total per day is under a certain level. Good luck!!!!
dotflower

Postby Jisgone » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:06 pm

i cant believe people still say eating high fat low carb diets are good for you all when all they do is clog your arteries, atleast youll be skinny when you have a heart attack at the age of 30! youll make a good looking corpse :)
Jisgone

Postby dotflower » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:58 pm

To Jeweles,
At no stage did I advise anyone to go on a high fat diet. Sure the fat content is a bit higher than so called "low fat" foods, but before all the "low fat" food started to invade our supermarkets, the proper way to diet was to cut down on fat and carbohydrates. If you compare labels between normal and low fat products, the low fat ones might be lower in fat but are a lot higher in carbohydrates. This is all very fine if you are a very active person or an athlete, but most obese people aren't, so they do not need to be overloaded with carbs. However this is what is happening to the majority of people and they end up carrying the extra carbohydrates on their bodies in the form of fat!!! This can't be healthy either. The great thing about a moderate fat, low carb, high protein diet is that it actually works and it suppresses your hunger naturally.
Regards,
dotflower
dotflower

Postby Czarina » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:22 pm

Carbs take up about 50% - 60% of my food intake daily, and I have lost 35kg. Bring on the carbs I say! :mrgreen:
Czarina

Postby Shalimar » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:27 pm

Same here Czarina :D .

SW: 175.0 kgs.
CW: 62 kgs-Hit goal 12 September 2009.
Shalimar

Postby court » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:03 pm

I struggle with "the quickest and easiest way to lose weight" - that sounds soooo unmaintainable! I lost 10kg's in 10weeks by cutting out all carbs in 2007.
Nothing white - only carb came from veges and fruit (and not too much fruit either!). Hence why I am now on here - lots of it piled back on. Just eat a balanced diet!! Carbs are good, fats are good (as long as you are eating a small amount of the correct fats, i.e. almonds raw, avocado, margarine etc) and protein is good. It is just about working out the best balance for your body.
court

Postby jeankarla » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:21 am

Hello Tamara and to all of you,

Given all of these dietary therapies presented, can somebody at least prove its effectiveness? Is it really successful?
Does it work to those who are obese? Can it be a long-term therapy for weight loss?

Please do share, we would all want to know.

Thanks

JEan
Last edited by EvilWombatQueen on Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: It is against forum rules to post a commercial link in your signature.
jeankarla

Return to Diet Talk