It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:32 am

Free Newsletter

Sushi makers unite........

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

Sushi makers unite........

Postby Shalimar » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:00 pm

Hi all, just wondering if there are any seasoned Sushi makers here?

Of late I have been spending a bit of money on Sushi and have decided to bite the bullet and have a crack at making my own.

I have Nori sheets, rice wine vinegar, sugar and a sushi mat. It is too hot to be bothered with it this week but weather permitting I'll give it a go next weekend.

What rice do you use? What do you use as a filling?
I have googled recipes and have a fair idea what I am going to do but some tips on cooking the rice, the kind of rice you use and actually rolling them would be grand.

Thanks, Sue.

SW: 175.0 kgs.
CW: 62 kgs-Hit goal 12 September 2009.
Shalimar

Re: Sushi makers unite........

Postby milkyway » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:24 pm

Hey Sue - my husband makes Korean style 'Kimbap' from time to time which are similar to the Japanese nori rolls. We use short grain rice which is much 'stickier' than long grain rice and better suited to kimbap.

He puts a bit of mirin (Japanese vinegar) in the rice (not sure how much though..)

We use ham, cheese, egg (pre cooked as a thin omletter) carrot, cucumber, spinach, all cut into long thin strips and then roll them up, baste with sesame oil and sprinkle sesame seeds, chop into bite-sized chunks and voila! Yummm. There are so many things you can put in them. They're great picnic food or to take hiking.

As for rolling them - just don't overstuff. Trial and error will get you there :)

Enjoy & let us know how you go.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:13 pm

I'm actually making sushi tonight! I've got the rice cooling on the bench as we speak. :D

Use Japanese short grain rice. It sticks together better than other types of rice. If you can't find it in an Asian grocer or in the Asian section of your supermarket just look for where the Sunrice specialty rice is kept. The Sunrice one is in a black bag.

You can buy Japanese sushi vinegar or make your own by mixing sugar with rice wine vinegar and stirring it through the rice before it cools. Recipe here.

When it comes to rolling the sushi, the best thing I've found is a sushi press. You wet it so the rice won't stick, put it on top of a sheet of nori and fill it with rice and whatever filling you choose. Then you press down to compact the contents. Remove the press, wrap the nori around it, wet the ends of the nori and it will all stick together. Traditional sushi presses are made from wood (you can find these at Japanese supermarkets or on eBay), but my mum got me the Sushi Express which is made of plastic and is very easy to clean (link). You can also buy sushi presses which don't require any nori. The rice should hold its shape and you can just top it with sashimi or pickled vegetables. Or you can buy them in cute little shapes to use with rice alone in order to use in bento boxes (example).

If you prefer to use the traditional bamboo mat to roll it my advice would be to put a sheet of glad-wrap between the bamboo mat and the nori. That way once you've rolled it up you can twist the ends of the glad wrap and you've got a handy wrapper for the nori roll. Leave it in the fridge for a while for it to 'set' and it'll be far easier to cut.

Here are easy to follow instructions for rolling sushi the old fashioned way.

Make sure you use a really sharp knife to cut it. That way it won't tear the nori.

As to fillings, I'm vegan so I'm a bit limited. I use raw carrot, raw cucumber, finely sliced spring onions (green onions or shallots depending on which state you live in), pickled ginger, sliced marinated tofu, avocado, and/or sesame seeds.

If you don't mind fish you can use raw fresh salmon. If you don't have access to fresh seafood (it has to be reeeeally fresh) my family have been known to use smoked salmon instead. You could also use tinned tuna or cooked chicken. Here are a whole lot of sushi recipes.

Hope this helps!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby mumnbub » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:44 pm

I brought a sushi kit which came with the mat, the rice, the nori, and some sushi powder which you mix through the rice to help it all stick together.

I make mine up with avocado and smoked salmon or chicken, I never bother looking for other recepies as thats what i love. I found it better to make them up then leave them for half hour or so to soften the sheets as they can be a bit chewy when made fresh - well, chewy may not be the right word but am sure you will notice what i mean if you eat as soon as its made.

Have not seen the sushi powder sold anywhere other than in the pack- is the sushi vinegar what you use instead of the powder to hold the rice together?

I love sushi and its now my fav treat when i have lunch at the shops- used to be kfc but now its suchi :)
Start weight: 98kg April 2008
22/12/08- 80.7kg
29/12/08- 81.8kg
04/01/09- 81.6kg
12/01/09- 81kg
19/01/09- 80kg
09/02/09- 79.3kg
Next goal 75kg

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waXaD9j/]
[/url]
mumnbub

Postby Shalimar » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:39 pm

Thank you all.

Milkyway, egg is definitely a great idea. Do you use one egg per Nori sheet or does it do a couple?

EWQ, thank so much for the links, I will drop hints to hubby about the plastic sushi roller :lol: .

Mum, thanks for the fridge tip, I'll make sure to leave it in there for a while before eating.

Thanks again girls you have helped me a lot :D .

Shalimar

Postby electrongirl » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:40 am

I used to make my own sushi all the time in Aus... now I want some...

dammit....
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby Shalimar » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:04 am

Sorry electrongirl :lol: .

Shalimar

Postby Shalimar » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:51 am

Well girls, thanks to all your tips and hints, I can declare Operation Sushi a 99.9% success. I just needed to cook the rice a little bit more but apart from that it was perfecto (or the Japanese version of). Not bad at all for a first time.

Thanks again ladies :D .

Shalimar

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:41 pm

Glad to hear it!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby kandal.stevo » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:49 pm

I enjoy sushi!

I make my own sometimes but mostly eat out.

I use the Sunrice brand Suhi rice from Safeway/Woolworths.
kandal.stevo

Postby BBgal » Mon May 25, 2009 7:42 pm

I know what I am about to say sounds like sacrilege (It is to me as well really) I love sushi soooo much but am watching my carb intake and find I have a hard time stopping at just one piece so i make a few rolls without rice I use that pre made restaurant blend salad mix that you get in bags at woolies and coles in the produce section, its not as good at the real thing but gives you the taste and fills you up, and helps you actually keep the moderation thing in mind, just thought i would share
SW: 99.9kg ( how close was that to triple digits) 4/11/08
CW: 72.2kg 20/06/09)
GW: 60kg ( Will re-evaluate then to see if I want lower)
BBgal

Return to Diet Talk