It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:49 am

Free Newsletter

I love Sandwich

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

I love Sandwich

Postby DavidJanssen » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:15 pm

Hey guys,

Currently on the Celeb Slim diet and is going well, I have been an expert with carb counting and is wondering if this works... Dont Laugh at me....

The shake I have as got just under 50g Carbs, thats 2 shakes a day at 100g.

If a slice of bread is roughly around 15g per slice (white bread) would I be able to on an odd ocassion not have a shake and have a sandwich with tuna,letuce,tomato, carrots ect which would work out to be less carbs than the shake and having the vegis i need.

Does this work out? haha dont laugh to hard!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wXxQL1T/]
[/url]
DavidJanssen

Re: I love Sandwich

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:43 pm

Having a healthy sandwich instead of a shake wouldn't be the worst thing you could do. However I'd forget about using white bread.

White bread isn't good for health or weight loss. It is broken down very quickly in the digestive process. That means it releases the resulting glucose into your bloodstream in a huge rush. Because this amount of glucose is far more than your body needs, your body produces a huge amount of insulin to reduce it. This insulin does its job, reducing your blood glucose dramatically. You now have very little blood glucose. This is the 'sugar crash' you feel soon after eating crap food. Because your brain needs glucose to keep operating it tells your body you need to eat again so it can get more energy. Which is why you get hungry again so soon after eating processed white bread,sugar, or other foods that quickly elevate your blood sugar such as fast food.

Use wholegrain bread instead. Because many of the grains still have their protective germ (shell) on them it takes longer for the body to break it down. This means that the glucose is released at a slow and steady pace into the bloodstream. The body has no need to produce a huge insulin rush, so you don't get that sugar rush-then-crash. Since the brain is getting a steady stream of glucose it doesn't tell your body it needs to eat soon after your sandwich. And because the grains take longer to digest it moves more slowly through your digestive system. Both of these factors keep you feeling more full for longer.

Not to mention the benefits of the fibre in wholegrain bread: prevents constipation, may reduce bad cholesterol, lowers your chances of colon cancer, and helps manage diabetes.

Another important note: A low GI book I was reading last night (Low GI Vegetarian) stated that recent studies have shown diabetes correlates more with white bread consumption than with sugar consumption!

So while a sandwich can be a healthy addition to your daily food intake, you really should make it with wholegrain bread for optimal health and hunger-management benefits.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby DavidJanssen » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:26 pm

Thank you,

I love all types of breads, even that stuff for women.

Im tryin to hunt down a low carb bread but no success
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wXxQL1T/]
[/url]
DavidJanssen

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:49 pm

There really aren't any low carb breads that I can think of. All breads are made from grains, so they're all going to contain quite a few carbs. Your best bet is to find one that gives you the most nutrition instead. Wholegrain breads with seeds are very good for you. Apparently sprouted grain breads are higher in protein that normal breads, so you might want to look for them too.

Good luck!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:53 pm

I just did some research. Apparently there were a few low carb breads available in America because of the Atkins diet popularity. I've seen low carb tortillas here, but haven't seen any breads. This web page has a recipe for a low carb bread roll that they claim is popular with low carbers right now.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby mumnbub » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:17 pm

I dont know about you, but when I follow those strict diets I end up binging if I tell myself "NO, you cant eat anything outside of this plan" but I have more success if from the beggining I tell myself its ok to have a healthy alternative on day if I really dont want the shake- I end up sticking with the program more than I would if I was not planning on having anything at all.

EWQ has given great advice on bread and she is right- avoid the white bread, go for grainier breads- my fav is burgain soy-lin but it can be expensive. I believe some health food shops have a really healthy bread that is stored in the fridge so maybe check them out- dont know if they are low carb or whats so good about them but its worth a shot if you really want to find a low carb one.
Start weight: 98kg April 2008
22/12/08- 80.7kg
29/12/08- 81.8kg
04/01/09- 81.6kg
12/01/09- 81kg
19/01/09- 80kg
09/02/09- 79.3kg
Next goal 75kg

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waXaD9j/]
[/url]
mumnbub

Postby Shalimar » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:16 pm

DavidJanssen wrote:
I love all types of breads, even that stuff for women.

Sorry but that made me laugh, a bit like my hubby going on about "womens cars" :lol: .

As you were :) .

SW: 175.0 kgs.
CW: 62 kgs-Hit goal 12 September 2009.
Shalimar

Postby stevo » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:36 pm

Hey Dave,

Definitely go for the sandwich mate. I've always found that when I want to lose weight I try to keep my total daily carb intake not much more than 150 grams (I weigh around 90 kgs).

Here's an article I wrote and I've found this approach has worked really well for me and my clients:

Over the years there have been many different recommendations regarding what people should eat in order to lose weight. Unfortunately, the recommendations are often conflicting, which leaves people confused about the best approach to take.

The Healthy Diet format has been designed based on the most up-to-date scientific research. Best of all, its design is purely objective. There hasn’t been any lobbying by food groups or ‘sponsored’ research to influence its structure (as may be the case with other food recommendations).

This eating format has been used successfully for many years by professionals in the health and fitness industry in order to assist people with their weight loss efforts. In this article we will cover the recommendations and the reasoning behind them.

Low Density Carbohydrates (fibrous vegetables): These are the type of foods you should emphasise most in your diet if you want to lose weight. You can virtually have an unlimited amount of them. They are nutrient-rich, calorie-sparse foods. They are classified as a carbohydrate but contain very little of it. They mainly contain fibre, water, phytonutrients, vitamins and minerals.

You should have at least 6 serves a day of these foods.

Examples include: broccoli, cauliflower, carrot, tomato, lettuce, green beans, spinach, cucumber, squash etc.

Lean Protein: If you took all the water out of your body over half of your dry weight would be protein. It is a component of all cells and as the name suggest (from Greek prôteios - of the first quality) is of primary importance in the body.

By having a serve of protein with every meal you provide your body with a constant supply of amino acids which has many vital functions in the body including, supporting the immune system, making enzymes, and constructing body tissue.

If you don’t supply your body with high quality protein every 2-3 hours during the day then your body will go into a catabolic state and your metabolism will slow down, limiting your weight loss efforts.

You should have 5-6 serves a day of these foods.

Examples include: fish, chicken breast, lean steak, eggs, protein/meal replacement powders, soy-based products, legumes, nuts/seeds, etc.

Medium-density carbohydrates (fruits, starchy vegetables, dairy products): These foods have more carbs per serve than the low-density carbohydrates. Therefore, their ability to increase blood sugar is greater. Since they increase blood sugar, insulin will also get secreted, which means the body will be more likely to store body fat.

Accordingly, only 2-3 serves a day are suggested in the Healthy Diet format. In saying this though, these are natural foods and do provide the body with a wide range of essential nutrients.

Examples include: potatoes, pumpkin, corn, bananas, peas, grapes, milk, apples, yoghurt, oranges, etc.

High-Density Carbs: These foods are concentrated sources of carbohydrate and tend to be refined grain-based foods like, bread, pasta, cereals, and rice. Government lobbying by food producers in the last century had these foods being recommended in higher quantities than natures own fruits and vegetables!

While they do contain some nutrients, they are loaded with carbs and can have a dramatic impact on your blood sugar levels. As a result, only 1-2 serves a day are recommended.

Examples include: pasta, bread, cereal, sugar, honey, fruit juice, rice, jam, etc.

Fats and Oils: These foods are the most energy dense, which means they have the potential to significantly add to your overall calorie intake. Therefore you must carefully control your intake of these foods.

However, they do contain the fat-soluble vitamins, A, D, E and K, so they must be included in your daily food intake.

Only 1-2 serves a day of these foods is recommended.

Examples include: oils, avocado, almonds, cashews, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, peanut butter etc.

Extras: These foods are not an essential part of the Healthy Diet format but they do fulfil our desire to consume good-tasting foods. Since your goal is to lose weight, only allow yourself to consume these foods once a week, on your 'Treat Day'.

Have one or two meals on your treat day where these foods are included.

Examples include: take away foods, chocolate, cakes, biscuits, lollies, alcohol etc.

If you are considering losing weight and would also like to gain the benefits of feeling good, having more energy and improving your body’s functioning then follow Healthy Diet format for 30 days. You will be amazed with the results!

I hope this helps mate.

Regards,

Steve.
Last edited by matchbox on Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: signature removed due to spam
stevo

Return to Diet Talk