It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:47 pm

Free Newsletter

A Fat Society

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

A Fat Society

Postby Dolly » Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:22 pm

According to the World Health Organisation, a sixth of the world's population is overweight - most of it due to the over-consumption of fast food and lack of exercise.

Americans spend over a hundred-billion US dollars on fast food every year. Globally, our consumption of burgers, pizzas, fried chicken and chips has also increased.

I personally believe that most people are drawn toward hot fatty food, little knowing that in most cases it's the salt and sugar that really draws them in.
If you served a doughnut minus the sugar, or french fries minus the salt, the sales would definitely go down.
I feel if we take salt and sugar off the planet (rather than fat) we would have a slimmer race of people.
Dolly

Postby Tas » Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:47 am

Hi Dolly
I agree totally with what you said - it is more likely to be the sugar and salt that is the most effective for sales!
I still tend to crave salt in the afternoons - always seems to be about the same time 3.00pm!

Cheers
Maria
Tas

Postby Dolly » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:12 am

The salt they add to cheese is a real draw card for me.

I remember travelling through Europe as a child with my parents. In Germany we stopped at a supermarket to purchase some butter, it was there I learned that butter on it's own tastes revolting (at that time they ony sold it without the salt preservative added) Yuck!
Dolly

Return to Diet Talk