It is currently Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:46 am

Free Newsletter

I don't like FISH - but I want to - please help!

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

I don't like FISH - but I want to - please help!

Postby Janeyc1983 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:53 pm

Hi everyone,

(a bit of background) I am new here. I am a size 12, 178cm and 74kg - so while not technically overweight, I am at the higher end of the healthy range and over the past 5 years or so have packed on 8-10kg - a product of working sedentary jobs, drinking and eating out a lot and just general laziness. I am not happy with the way I look, I find I don't want to wear nice clothes or go to the beach anymore, and have come to the conclusion I need to make a huge effort to shift these kilos that are holding me back. Exercise is not such a problem for me is my diet and binge eating.

Anyway - I have never liked fish, but I know how good it is for you. I would really like to start eating fish a few times a week, and then eventually become a vegetarian (one who eats fish!).

The thing I really don't like is the 'fishy' taste. Does anyone have suggestions about how I can incorporate fish into my diet? Or specifically, is there any way of cooking/preparing fish to make it taste better? Are some types of fish better tasting than others?

I am talking fresh fish here. I know how healthy tinned tuna and salmon are, and those are just two things I could never imagine eating because they smell so strong and it actually makes me gag!

Anyway, any advice you could give me would be appreciated!

Highest weight: 76kg
SW: 75 kg (September 2008)
CW: 69kg (26 May 2009)
GW: 64kg <_---------------------------- **
YAY - in the 60's!

Re: I don't like FISH - but I want to - please help!

Postby Jisgone » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:31 pm

I like snapper, its not too strong tasting and relatively cheap. I buy it frozen and defrost it, lightly coat it in flour and cook it in a little frying pan with a little bit of oil. Once ive flipped it over (half way through cooking) I either add a bit of garlic butter, or a bit of butter and fresh lemon juice. It melts so you only need a tiny bit to get the flavour tthrough your fish and it only adds about 30 calories onto the meal :) 150grams of this kind of fish was 212 calories and i ate it with salad and a baked potato

Postby court » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:28 am

Snapper - def a good fish to get you started! I could never handle fish and i cooked snapper after tossing it in a bag with some flour, dill salt and pepper. Then i moved onto salmon :) yummmm
A good "sauce" is garlic, red oinion, add a tsp of flour to pot, add some stock wait to thicken - add dill, lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.... Nice sauce - low cal i guess!!!

Postby kristal » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:08 pm

I have absolutely hated fish most of my life too, but I get forced to eat it sometimes because my hubby absolutely loves seafood including most fish.

The main ones I can handle is salmon and trout and we usually cook it with salt, pepper, herbs and lemon juice. It is edible but I still have to force it down.

I just suggest trying different types of fish (maybe one different one each week) and practice cooking with different healthy variety ingredients to go with it?

I know how hard it is. I hate the tinned stuff also, and hate most white fish. It is a struggle but extremely healthy for you.

Good luck!
SW - 71 kg
CW - 65 kg
GW - 58 kg
Weight Loss so Far = 6kgs
Weight to go = 7kgs

Postby Tarz » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:53 pm

I've never been a fish eater but am doing my best, mainly cos my other halves complains that he never gets to eat it. So for good friday this year instead of the usual tuna rissoles we have we wnt to mums who attempted to make fish that i'd eat.

Her suggestions is a fleshy white fillet of fish - theres apparently a few different types (snapper is one) ask at the fish shop. Grill it and make a sauce with cheese, onion, tomato sauce and tobasco sauce and melt under the griller. Tasted alright. Just try lots of different recipes, you'll find it hard at first but it'll get easier to eat fish. My next hurdle is to try prawns YUCK!

Postby Bella_1974 » Sun May 10, 2009 12:54 am

Hi, I am a vegetarian that eats fish sometimes, I have been a vegetarian my whole life. I don't eat fish much but when I do I eat barrimundi or salmon, you can buy salmon in the can as well, and debone it and have a salmon and avacado wholemeal sandwich with no butter or margarine, it is very healthy and good for you.

Also I like to cook brown rice and mix the salmon through with it and eat it like that with steamed vegies on the side. If you like to cook it whole, cook it in foil in the oven and squeeze lemon over it and dice garlic over it and a bit of pepper and that is it, and steam some vegies on the side, very good for you :) That is how I eat fish and also you can cook pototao and mix salmon with it and some wholemeal breadcrumbs and an egg, and some herbs, and put them in balls, and line a baking tray with foil and bake them, really nice as well, I did them for a christmas party with my family and they didn't stop raving about them,they really like them and ate them all :)

Don't force yourself, just eat it once a week or fortnight that is fine, eating legumes for protein is the perfect protein for people as it is not too much protein, and very good for you when you don't want to eat fish.

Good luck.
Bella :)

Postby Mogget » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:26 am

I generally hate fish and cannot stand salmon but I like whiting (just grilled) calamari and barramundi.
I never thought I would witness the destruction of a Universe whilst carrying a naked merchant banker...

Postby Karnak » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:11 pm

I know you mentioned that you didn't like canned tuna - but have you looked at Sirena canned tuna. No I dont work for the company or anything like that - just found it to be non-smelly and none catfood like as it's whole light coloured chunks with no yukky bits. Just a suggestion

Return to Diet Talk