It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:46 pm

Free Newsletter

my diet & exercise plan..advice???

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

my diet & exercise plan..advice???

Postby jessica86 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:01 pm

So i have been advised to have between 1500-1600cals a day (on height/weight ratio etc). I have put together this meal plan for the week, and was wondering what you guys thought of it, any advice would be great. I like to eat the same thing everyday for a week at a time, makes it easier when im so busy!

Breakfast: my own blend of muesli (natural muesli, LSA mix & amaranth grain) with vitasoy high fibre soy milk and 1/2 banana, and some V8 juice (to take my vitamins with- cant stomach water in the morning!) total of 485cals.

Lunch: Rye wrap with salad (cucumber, spinach, tomato, avocado) and 1 serve of vegie delights deli luncheon. total of 295cals.

Dinner: 1 cup of rice with vegies (sweet potato, carrot, zucchini & mushrroms) with a soy/garlic sauce. total of 540cals.

Snacks: 1 apple, 1 plum, 1 vegan hot chocolate and 1 vegan gingernut cookie. total of 265cals.

I also drink about 3 cups of organic green tea a day, and 8 glasses of water.

TOTAL of 1585 cals

I will be doing 30-60mins of fast walking/running my dog everyday as my exercise.

Thanks for any advice/comments!

<3 jess
jessica86

Re: my diet & exercise plan..advice???

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:20 am

I too follow a vegan diet and my only advice would be to perhaps try and get more protein into your dinner and snacks. While soy milk contains protein and so do vegetables to a lesser degree, it seems that the only main serving of protein in your day will be the vegie delights luncheon.

I wouldn't recommend a high protein diet, though. It's incredibly hard to do if you're vegan. But protein can help you feel full for longer so it's certainly useful for snacks. It's recommended as a vegan you get 0.8-1g of protein each day for each kilo you weigh (VRG link). Unless you're having a hell of a lot of that vegie delights luncheon you might not be hitting that target!

Can you add some tofu to your dinner? Either steamed or baked in the oven with some kind of marinade to make it crunchy. Or even lentils or beans. To get whole proteins you need to combine grains/nuts/corn with legumes. Contrary to prior thought this doesn't have to be at the same meal. Soy contains complete proteins so it's likely you're getting full proteins from your luncheon if it's made from soy. Tofu is a great way to eat soy and it also contains calcium (the harder the tofu the more calcium it contains).

Could you add a small serving of nuts or seeds to your snacks? Nuts are high in fat, but it's a good form of fat. Almonds contain a good amount of vitamin E which is great for your skin .Walnuts are great in a vegan diet because they contain omega 3s which most people get from fish. If you're not a fan of walnuts I'd recommend included ground flaxseeds (they have to be ground to release the oils or they're just expensive, indigestible roughage) or a tablespoon of flaxseed oil each day. If you decide to include nuts just make sure they're unsalted.

Your cardio exercise looks good. For even greater results you might want to try adding some resistance work every second day. If you're not a member of a gym you could use free weights and/or resistance bands at home. Or even just use your body weight for resistance with push-ups and the like.

Good luck!
Ali
EvilWombatQueen

Re: my diet & exercise plan..advice???

Postby jessica86 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:44 pm

thanks for your advice! im gonna add some tofu to my dinner, and have nuts as a snack maybe every 2nd day. as for exercise im waiting for krudd's stimulus package to go buy some free-weights. I used to go to a gym, but im trying to save for a house so had to cancel my membership.

thanks again for your comments!
<3 jess
jessica86

Return to Diet Talk