It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:31 pm

Free Newsletter

Meal replacement shakes.

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

Meal replacement shakes.

Postby Shalimar » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:54 pm

Hi folks, just looking for some opinions on whether they are bad or good :D .

Okies, curiosity finally got the better of me and I purchased a Biggest Loser shake sachet- my first meal replacement shake ever. I had it for breaky this morning and to my surprise it didn't taste half bad.
Now there is no way that I could live on these things but I had it with a protein bar for breakfast and found it quite satisfying and it made a change from the usual fruit smoothie/ cereal/ muesli/ fruit muffins/prunes and yoghurt and what ever else I usually have for breakfast. I was also surprised to see it had a good dose of protein in it as well.

So my question is do you think these things are bad for you if you use them as an ocassional change from the norm?
As I said in another post there is no way I'm going down the route of replacing full meals with them but they do make a change and I'm all for a change to help keep on the straight and narrow.

Your thoughts??? Please :P .

SW: 175.0 kgs.
CW: 62 kgs-Hit goal 12 September 2009.
Shalimar

Re: Meal replacement shakes.

Postby Chiggy » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:43 pm

I don't think they're a bad thing at all if you use them as a change from what you'd usually have, like you did Shalimar.

I do, however, think they're a bad thing if you're using them to lose weight instead of eating good food and exercising regularly.
Chiggy

Postby Shalimar » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:18 pm

That's what I thought Chiggy. There is no way I could replace healthy eating and exercise for what, to me, is essentially a milkshake but it did make a change :P .

Shalimar

Postby Karnak » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:25 pm

I was curious about those too but wary about buying a whole box and not liking them, why can't shake people do like test packets so we can buy just one ?.

IMHO - Anything that makes dieting marginally more interesting should be cheered and celebrated :)

My only concern would be that the shakes are quite far away from the wholefoods and natural end of the food scale. I know most of them contain Vit &Min additions, protein, carbs etc but most of these are synthetic additions and what about all the other bits that our bodies need like antioxidants, fibre, amino acids and other trace elements that the chemist didn't think to add ?.

On saying that we live in the real world and while I happily munch on my pepitas and goji berries I'm also drinking a Pepsi Max :oops:.

So - if it fit's into your diet, doesn't make you feel bad and it tastes good go for it :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wy5Nvxw/]
[/url]
Karnak

Postby Shalimar » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:32 pm

He he Karnak, I'm also slugging on a glass of Pepsi Max :P .

I've only had the one so far, it was cafe latte flavoured, to me it was as close to an iced coffee that I'm prepared to get for now (I used to drink 2 litres a day, I adore the stuff). As I said before it tasted ok and with the protein bar(slim secrets), it made a nice change. I do have a couple more in the cupboard for a rainy day but I'm in no hurry for them.

You can buy them in singles in Coles and Woolies.

Shalimar

Postby court » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm

I have had a few of them in the past. My friend had them leading up to a wedding. I was trying to have them for breaky - it didnt work - but combined with healthy eating and exercsie they can be a yummy substitute.
The choc one, cafe latte are nice - the banana one tastes like banana paddle pop! So good and the choc mint is good too.. i cant fault any of the flavours..i have heard the bars are HORRENDOUS but i havent tried.
court

Postby Shalimar » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:26 pm

Hey Court, I haven't seen the banana one but the latte one was really nice. I have another latte and a choc mint one in the cupboard. I don't know about the bars as I'm not that brave :lol: .

Shalimar

Return to Diet Talk