It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:20 pm

Free Newsletter

calorie calculating

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

calorie calculating

Postby Jolean » Wed May 13, 2009 7:36 pm

I have no idea how to do this
for example

for lunch today I had a chicken wrap. how do i figure out the different quantities of fat and sodium and so on. more so the calories. how do i do it

I made
chicken Strips but cutting a breast into 3 strips,
then smashed up 4 crackers (PARADISE Lites White Crispbread)
rolled them in egg, then flour and then in the cracker crumbs.
cooked in the oven with no oil or nothing
then one strip (I save the others for another day)
put in a wrap (bazaar mini wrap)
with lettuce and weight watchers cheese (2 potato peels slices, i have to use a peeler i cant cut thin)
topped with a little mayo (Hellman's low fat mayo. its the only low fat one i like. my mum gave it to me but i cant ever find it in the shop :(

ok so that was lunch today
how do i figure it out???
Starting weight = 85kg
Mini goal = 70kg
overall goal = 60kg

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wTvvPcC/]
[/url]
Jolean

Re: calorie calculating

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Wed May 13, 2009 9:50 pm

You can find out the calorie and fat values of the individual ingredients at Calorie King using their food database. Add all the calories together and all the fat amounts together then divide the total by the number of servings to find out calories and fat per serve.

That's the theory anyway. I'm useless at this. I tend to improvise on recipes so I have no idea of the amounts I add, and I cook enough for a small army so I have no idea how many servings.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Jolean » Thu May 14, 2009 12:50 am

ahh ok i will give that a go
thanks
Starting weight = 85kg
Mini goal = 70kg
overall goal = 60kg

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wTvvPcC/]
[/url]
Jolean

Postby Czarina » Thu May 14, 2009 11:14 am

You should also get yourself a set of kitchen scales, so you know exactly how much of a food you are using.
Czarina

Postby SarahC » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:46 pm

I use the Food Standards website for that kind of thing. I did start a thread on this forum, back in the dark ages, maybe a year or so ago. Was just searching for it now, but came across this thread, so I'll share here. I've just been making videos, I made one to explain the Food Standards website. This is the first of a little series, I'll be doing one a bit later that explains how to add custom ingredients, like the crackers or mayo etc.

Anyway, have a look... and let me know if it makes sense!

http://www.screencast.com/users/SarahCo ... 4361ce0e29
Last edited by EvilWombatQueen on Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Advertising link removed.
SarahC

Postby John » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:13 pm

I'd say that at least 80% of people are emotional eaters. I'm trying to retrain myself, first by cutting back on the times when I 'treat' myself to tasty things because I'm celebrating something that I really don't need to celebrate. Later will come the hard one - not eating because it makes me feel better when I am upset. Fortunately that happens rarely. I'm so lucky with my girlfriend, she's really great and we get on so well. We probably have a disagreement every 1-3 months.
Heaviest weight: 94kg
Goal weight 66kg
John

Postby John » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:15 pm

Sorry about that post, wrong thread! Why can't we edit posts!!!!!?
Goal weight 66kg
John

Postby John » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:17 pm

Counting kilojoules is a pain, I'm sure everyone agrees with that, whether they do it or not. If you buy food for yourself, there is a way to make it easier.

Suppose you go shopping. You buy apples, eggs and meat.
By reading the nutritional info on the packaging, and multiplying out the values, in total you see that apples has 5000 kj, the eggs 4000 kj and the meat 4000kj. You estimate when you buy the food that the apples will last 5 days, the eggs 10 days and the meat 4 days.

In your notebook you write 1000kj for apples for the next 5 days, 400kj for eggs for the next 10 days and 1000kj for meat. That's it! You don't need to weigh things each time you start to cook, or pick up a piece of food to eat it. If the apples last for 15 days instead of 10, that's ok, you don't need to change anything. You'll get an average of the amount you eat, probably averaged over 10-20 days.
Goal weight 66kg
John

Return to Diet Talk