It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:33 am

Free Newsletter

Fats, Protein and Carbs

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

Fats, Protein and Carbs

Postby Julz » Wed May 27, 2009 1:13 am

I've been using Calorie King to track my eating and doing my best to stay on track but I have noticed that nutritional targets are way off. My carbs are usually pretty close to the mark, my fats are much lower than they should be usually about 15-30gm whereas they recommend 61gm, my protein is always a bit low too usually 70-90gm where it should be 113gm.

I want to try and do things right this time around so what do you guys think, is the shortfall in fats something I should be concerned about? I've been trying to limit my fats a lot especially saturated fats, the only day when I met my fat target was when I had a whole avocado as part of lunch not something I'm in a hurry to do again. I don't honestly know if its a good thing that my fat consumption is low or if it will hamper my efforts. I'm thinking maybe I should try adding nuts to my diet, being oily they would have to be full of good fat right?

The other concern is the protein, I am considering trying protein bars but I'm a little hesitant because I am trying to focus on eating more fresh homemade foods and less processed, manufactured crap. I'd love to hear peoples thoughts on these and even recommend me a yummy brand if you do eat them. Anyone have and tips for adding extra protein to your diet?

The last thing is how important is it to meet your full calorie allowance? 2000 calories seems an awful lot for weight loss. Don't get me wrong I've done a lot of stupid starvation things in the past and I am trying to meet my allowance but fall short by an average of about 200-300 calories and I am eating really well, breakfast, lunch, dinner plenty of snacks and even dessert. I also don't eat back my exercise calories because I am not hungry and I don't see the purpose. Does this seem ok? It gets a bit confusing with all the different conflicting advice on one hand you get told only to eat when you are hungry and on the other you get told to eat, eat, and eat a whole lot more if you have a good workout. :?
Julz

Re: Fats, Protein and Carbs

Postby electrongirl » Wed May 27, 2009 6:07 am

Having some fat each day is very important for good health. I think being under the RDI is probably ok short term.

Do you like boiled eggs? They would be a great way to get some fat & protein into your daily calories.

I used to boil about 4 on a Sunday night and keep them in the fridge as snacks. Oily fish might help too. Tuna in olive oil perhaps? Salmon?
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Wed May 27, 2009 10:31 am

Fats can be good for you. Omega 3 fatty acids are great for your health. You can find them in walnuts, flaxseeds and oily fish. It's good to raise the level of omega 3s you eat because a high ratio of omega 6 fatty acids (found in vegetable oils) to omega 3 fatty acids can be bad for your health. The optimal ratio is about 4 to 1 omega 6 to omega 3. Nuts are great too, and have many important nutrients in them. One serving of almonds has nearly half of your daily requirement for vitamin E, which helps keep skin healthy and protect your immune system. Pepitas (pumpkin seeds) are very high in protein. Including a handful of nuts per day could improve your health.

As for protein, have you considered adding whey powder to your diet? It's full of protein and low in calories and fat. You can add it to smoothies. SarahC posted a recipe for home-made chocolate protein bars on this forum. You can also find recipes for protein bars on many weight lifting/muscle building websites. Here's one that I found that has heaps of recipes. At least then your bars aren't as processed as bought ones!

I think it's a good idea to try and eat your allowance of calories. The amount of calories you've been set may seem excessive now, but in the months to come it could really help. As you lose weight your body will require fewer calories so you'll have to lower your intake anyway, you don't want to have to scale down from an already low number. Also consider that the body adjusts very well for survival in times of famine. If you are losing weight on 1500 calories it's going to adjust your metabolism over time so you stop losing weight on that amount of food. That's how people often hit a weight loss plateau. Then you have the choice of cutting your calories further, upping your exercise, or making drastic changes to your diet and exercise to shake your body out of it. It would be a lot easier to simply follow the changing recommended calories as you lose weight, that way you have extra calories to play with when you need to adjust things.

We think there's a magic number of '1200 calories' before we go into starvation mode, but the point that starvation mode starts varies from person to person. You may find that your body is already reaching that point if you are exercising a lot and not eating your recommended calories. If in doubt, simply try eating your recommended calories for a couple of weeks. You may find you lose more weight by doing so!

If you have trouble eating that much then you can kill three birds with one stone and simply add a serving or two of nuts to your daily diet. They're full of healthy fats, a decent amount of calories, and protein.

The important thing really is to see what works for you. If you do better losing weight on a low fat diet then that's fine, if you can't eat your full 2000 calories per day that's fine too. If you try eating nuts and it causes you to gain weight then it's okay to cut out nuts, if you find it helps you that's great. Experiment a bit and see what suits you!

cheers,
Ali
EvilWombatQueen

Postby gyrpor » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:10 am

I believe a balanced diet is the best way to go :)
Last edited by Shalimar on Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spam removed again.
gyrpor

Postby fit2fight1 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:09 pm

We must avoid eating Fatty substances as well as substances with a lot of carbohydrates. As it can lead to formation of fatty acids later on. Junk foods are killers.
fit2fight1

Postby onthedecrease » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:45 pm

there are good fats and bad fats and your body needs a certain amount of carbs to function!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvgjwLj/]
[/url]
onthedecrease

Postby Czarina » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:42 pm

What Ali said! Try and eat your recommended calories, believe me it does work, I have been on CK for a year and a half and have been consistently losing weight. Also, don't be afraid of healthy oils like olive and rice bran...a bit of oil in your salad dressing is good for you! :D
Czarina

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:45 pm

Something like a small handfull of nuts will help with both the protein and good fats. Say a handful of walnuts or almonds. Egg is also a good one, or fish - maybe throw them into a salad you're having or a sandwich etc.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Return to Diet Talk