It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:29 pm

Free Newsletter

Artificial Sweeteners

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

Artificial Sweeteners

Postby fi_112 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:55 pm

Hey guys,
I have been noticing lately that I am eating A LOT of artificial sweetner. I never realised it before but phenylalanine and sorbitol are in a lot of the things I eat - for example diet coke, jarrah low-cal hot chocolate, skinny cow icecreams, sugar-free chewy, even lite mars bars!!! I have managed to do really well with my weight loss, and part of this is because I was still able to have my sweet treats (usually loaded with these chemicals). I'm a little worried because I know these chemicals can give you diarrhea (sp?) if you eat too much, but I think I'm past this point and might have a tolerance!! I binged on chewies once (before I dealt with my binge eating tendencies haha) and got a sick belly but since then, I haven't had diarrhea from it at all. I know also that they can have even worse effects like cancer and other diseases.
I was just wondering if anyone else has these problems? I don't really know how to cut down, still eat treats and lose weight? Maybe I could swap the icecream and chockies with fruit...?
Any one else share this concern?
To wish you were someone else is to waste the person you are
fi_112

Re: Artificial Sweeteners

Postby Kellicopter » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:15 pm

i try to really limit my intake. i have one of a morning with my coffee, but then i usually try to steer clear and ill have yoghurt (be careful a lot of the diet ones have artificial sweeteners too) and fruit.

anything unnatural usually ends up being bad for you :| unfortunately! ;)
5 kg's to goooooooo. The hard 5 ;)
Kellicopter

Postby fi_112 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:09 pm

I know, and at the end of the day even if it means i'm 1kg heavier, that's better than pumping your body full of chemicals. But everything that tastes good seems to be bad in some way!! haha :)
fi_112

Postby Fatfrizzy » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:25 pm

I used to go through a carton of Pepsi Max a week instead of giving into my craving. Bit worried about the artificial sugers and the hole in my tooth!
Starting weight 76
Goal Weight 65
Current weight 76

1st goal: 72 final goal: 65
2nd goal: 68
Fatfrizzy

Postby Jaded » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:00 am

I avoid all that fake sugar crap, for some reason I'm convinced it causes bladder cancer (something I've been told)
54kgs, goal 50kgs
Jaded

Postby court » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:03 am

I have started to keep away from it! or minimise its use as much as I can! I have completely gone off sugar in coffee (whoa HUGE step!) and diet coke has been substituted for water pretty much ALL the time... sometimes I love a DC though... hmmmm but other than that no more artificial sweeteneners! I am only eating Jalna yoghurt and not really any prcessed foods! :roll: :D Oh and STEVIA is the only sweetener I use now - completely natural! But I dont have anything to have it in anymore haha :roll:
court

Postby Feybie » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:09 pm

This is something I really struggle with as well. I have artifical sweetener in my coffee, I drink diet coke, etc etc.

I can't not drink coffee, its the one thing in life that I really really love. But at the same time, I might try cutting my sweetener back until I'm not using it anymore. Maybe that can be one of my things to watch over this challenge!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wcsBWmS/]
[/url]
Feybie

Postby Karnak » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:09 pm

Look at stevia if you can find it. Its all natural and doesn't have that chemically taste. It's also really cheap (around $8 for 100ml) when you consider 2 drops is equal to a teaspoon of normal sugar.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wy5Nvxw/]
[/url]
Karnak

Postby court » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:21 am

I have the stevia sachets... I think I bought 100 for like $3! I only use 1/2 sachet at a time it is very sweet!
court

Postby fi_112 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:07 pm

Maaaan... one year later and I am still addicted, still eating wayyy too much sweetener!!!

HELP!!!!
fi_112

Postby court » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:17 pm

haha stevia! did you find it?
i am just not having sweetener on anything anymore... try and limit the diet coke to one a day... :shock: what do you have it on/in?
court

Postby fi_112 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:50 pm

Mostly diet drinks and sugarfree chewies. I think Jarrah and Nestle diet yoghurts have it too, but I am okay with keeping on eating those sorts of things.
I haven't had any diet coke this week so very proud haha. Just trying to cut down at the moment, will try and kick it after my trip :) Esp hard when drinking alcohol cos the options are vodka and diet something, or something sugary and calorie laden. Rather go the diet!!
xx
fi_112

Return to Diet Talk