It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:48 pm

Free Newsletter

Calories

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

Calories

Postby CrimsonThunder » Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:32 am

I was wondering how you know how many calories is in food because it doesnt have it on the back of the packaging (i think). I heard that you should eat only 1,000 calories a day and i dont know if im doing that. does anyone have a website with a list of foods/calories? thanks.
- Stevo
CrimsonThunder

Postby Groovychic » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:43 am

Hi Reckless. Unless you have a thyroid problem like Dolly you should be eating more than 1000 calories a day. Use this calculator to work out how many calories you should be having.

http://www.weightloss.com.au/weight-los ... ulator.htm

Then use these tables to see if the food you are looking for is on it. Most processed food has the energy on the pack, but it is sometimes in kilojoules. I think it is pretty close to 7kj to 1 calorie if you want to change it to calories.

http://www.weightloss.com.au/food-tables.html

Have a look at those sites anyway. According to the calculator I can eat 1700 calories a day to maintain my weight at 68kgs. So to lose weight I would want to make sure I had less than that, or did some exercise. The more you exercise the more you can eat to maintain weight, or eat no more and lose weight.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSt8KHJ/]
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby Dolly » Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:04 am

Hi Reckless, Rochelle is correct, some diets carry higher vitamins and reduce the amount of calories you consume and some do the opposite.
When I was with eDiets they told me to have between 1,300 - 2500 cals per day but because I have a metabolic problem (hypothyroidism) 1300 made me gain a kilo per week until I reduced it to 800, then I was stabalized, hungry, getting ill and not losing.
The Tony Ferguson Program I discovered has us on around 680 calories per day (but if you exercise you have to eat more protein) They fill the meal sachets with heaps of vitamins and protein so your body can handle this amount of calories. Each body type is different and reacts differently to different diets. Luckily my hair is growing back, I don't feel hungry all the time and my sleep pattern has returned.
Here's a list of food with their caloric value - Link
Good luck in finding the diet program that works best for your body type.
Dolly

Postby CrimsonThunder » Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:00 pm

Wow that was fast thanks guys!

I did the calculator and i got 3,137 calories and 13112.66 kilojouils, thats quite alot so it should be easy for me to lose weight this way.
- Stevo
CrimsonThunder

Postby KimE » Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:34 pm

Looks like you have plenty of great info there Tom.

Now all you need is a calorie deficit. This can be done by lowering your calorie intake, by burning calories through exercise or a combination of them both.

If you are already exercising these energy charts will give you an idea of what you are burning off. http://www.weightloss.com.au/weight-los ... charts.htm

Well done on your weightloss so far. :D
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby CrimsonThunder » Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:00 am

Thanks for that link Kim, I thought doing exersize would have burnt more Calories though. >.>
- Stevo
CrimsonThunder

Postby KimE » Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:11 pm

It depends on the exercise, duration and intensity but if you're not use to it start out slowly and build it up.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Return to Diet Talk