It is currently Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:37 pm

Free Newsletter

Could someone help me with a diet?

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

Could someone help me with a diet?

Postby Blake92 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:45 am

Hey all, just want to start with congrats to everyone who has achieved their goals and what not, awesome job!

So i'm only 17 years old, and have never really considered myself over-weight, but recently i've seen some pictures of myself next to my friends which i'm not really fond of.

I weigh 89kg's, and currently have a pretty unhealthy diet, and little exercise plan.

My plan would be to flatten my abs, loose my boobs, and broaden my shoulders.

My current diet consists of Milo (full cream milk), ham sandwhiches, lots of white bread, no fruit / vege's, lots of meat at dinner times....

On the 1st of jan i quit drinking chocolate milk, I weighed 96kg.

On the 1st of may, I weighed 89kg. All i changed was the chocolate milk.

If anyone would be able to suggest some good diets for a 17 year old, 89kg, 6' male to go on, I would be most appreciative.

Also some exercise plans for flattening abs / broadening shoulders, I am going to begin to run every day / ride a push bike around.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I hope to hear from you soon!!!!!
Blake92

Re: Could someone help me with a diet?

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:18 am

Hi Blake 92, welcome to the forum!

Cutting the coc milk was DEFINITELY a great idea. Too much sugar (and white bread is pretty much sugar) is firstly addictive, secondly what it does is stimulate your pancreas to make insulin (because your blood sugar spikes). The insulin busies itself collecting all the excess energy (sugar) from your blood and thinks "hey, this might be useful one day, I'll just store it somewhere... hmmm, where to put it... " and it goes and puts it in your fat stores. And your body is pretty much designed to get more of that easy energy source (because in the distant primal past you never knew when your neaxt meal may be) so you start craving that food more and eat more... vicious cycle.

My advice would be to slowly (and I mean slowly) start changing your diet. Don't go tossing everything at once, it would be too much shock for most people. Just start replacing one or two things with a healthier version (like a good dense grain bread for the white, or including salad in the sandwiches) and then just keep with that until it's habit. Then change some more. And so on.

As for exercise... cardio exercise (that makes you puff and sweat) will help eat the fat you have away, then some resistance or strength exercise (e.g. weights, situps, pushups) will help tone and build muscle to get those washboard abs you want - but to have washboard abs, you DO need to get rid of the excess fat - otherwise noone can see them :cry: .
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:21 am

And one last thing.

You're 17, and I commend you for doing something about it now! Just try not to go too overboard - you're still growing and your body is changing still (and that may well help you to lose some weight) but this is a time when your body image is probably at it's most important to you. Try not to make the mistake of getting too hung up on things with your weight, just make normal healthy changes in your life, eat better and get a bit of exercise and you'll be healthy and look good too. :D
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Czarina » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:59 am

Check out http://www.calorieking.com.au , it will show you how much you need to eat for your age, height, weight, etc...and can even generate a meal plan for you. It is also great for learning about what kind of foods to eat.

Good Luck!
Czarina

Postby pineapple » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:35 pm

yep, see my post 'if you really do want to lose weight, just follow this diet'.
i guarantee it will work.

or you could visit a chinese doctor - they know the correct diet to eat which is pretty much the one i talk about in my post.
pineapple

Postby organicreview » Fri May 14, 2010 2:09 am

start with the easy things first.. swap the milk with skim, change white to brown bread, and make sure you eat only the lean meats. if you can, buy premium meats at the supermarket.
and watch what oils you cook the meat with. canola is probably the best.
if you're not into veges already then it's probably gonna be hard to get into them. and with the fruit, watch out for high sugar fruits like bananas and apples. hope this helps.
Last edited by court on Fri May 14, 2010 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spam
organicreview

Postby joshuawilson » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:23 am

Boys in the age range are rated at an even higher calorie intake with a range from 2,200 to 3,200.
Boys at the higher 2,200 calories per day would eat about 55 to 165 g per day.
A healthy 17-year-old diet will contain more carbohydrates than any other food type. The ratio between carbs, protein and fats is roughly 2 to 1 to 1. A good source of carbs is in whole grain foods like whole grain breads and cereals. The whole grains not only have all the nutritional value of the entire grain kernel, they also have needed fiber for digestion. Even if processed grain foods are enriched with iron and B complex vitamins, they will still lack the fiber of whole grains.
Added supplements should only be considered if there is a special medical condition present or if the youth is on a special diet that doesn't contain all the food groups. The water soluble vitamins in fresh produce like vitamins C and B-complex need to be restored daily because they can't be stored like fat-soluble vitamins.
joshuawilson

Return to Diet Talk