It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:00 pm

Free Newsletter

Caffeine & Weight Loss

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

Caffeine & Weight Loss

Postby SarahC » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:15 pm

I've just been reading about all the harmful effects of caffeine in the diet, particularly regarding weight loss.

I am devastated, as I love my coffee :cry:

Coffee and Weight Loss: What You Should Know!
SarahC

Postby Dolly » Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:08 pm

Oh wow Sarah, that's a lot more than I knew about.
Thanks for that.
Dolly

Postby Ally » Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:09 pm

I have just read the article you posted Sarah and I would not be too devastated....did you notice that they didn't mention how much caffeine?? I lost 30 kilos and still drank tea and coffee and the only reason I gained the weight back was because I was "ON" a diet and just gave up all hope once I hurt my leg, it certainly wasn't because of caffeine. Even doctors agree that up to 3-4 cups per day is ok. I think they were just trying to sell their own product. As I said I was drinking the 3-4 cups per day and I still managed to lose the weight!!! It all comes down to everything in moderation and that would include beverages as well!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby SarahC » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:32 am

Yes, that particular site is a bit biased since it is aimed at selling the herbal coffees (which look pretty good actually :o ) But they do raise a few good points. I am sure that coffee will not cause you to put on weight, but reducing it would help I am sure.

I certainly get very jittery sometimes when I drink too much caffeine, and notice increased stress and anxiety levels. And that can sometimes make me want to eat a little more. I have cut it back to just one cup of tea in the past, and noticed that I felt a lot more relaxed. Maybe I am a bit sensitive to caffeine as well :?

Anyway, a cup here or there will not hurt... says me sitting here drinking my morning coffee :lol:

I guess caffeine is a drug like any other, and maybe should be used as such. Like when you've had a rough night's sleep, or have to stay up late etc...
SarahC

Postby Ally » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:43 pm

I agree Sarah (says me just finishing my coffee too :P ). I am the same and get jitters if it is too strong!! I do agree with you and yes I am trying to cut down quite a bit too. I find that drinking loads of water helps. I also find that when I am due for my periods drinking tea and coffee increases my pain. (however I sneak a couple in here and there :roll: )

My hubbie has asked whether you have tried Caro or Echo?? They are quite a nice alternative to coffee. The flavours they have on the website look yummy too!!

(I raise my now empty coffee cup to us both!!! LOL)
[/url]
Ally

Postby chubbybubby » Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:18 pm

After reading that, I have just one question. Not that I am dismissing the article at all, in fact Im sure it's correct in a lot of ways. Anyway, my question is, Why then, if caffiene slows weightloss, etc, are there so many diet pills that are EXTREMELY high in caffeine, and some of these people continue, and sometimes lose massive amounts of weight? (Im not condoning diet pills btw) I have known so many people that have used diet pills, fatblaster in particular, that have helped them to lose a LOT of weight, and most of them have managed to keep it off, with regular exercise and a healthy diet. So, yeah my question is, how does that work? :shock:
chubbybubby

Postby Ally » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:47 am

good question Chubbybubby, does anyone have an answer, cause it sure stumped me!! :shock:
[/url]
Ally

Postby SarahC » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:03 am

I'm not too sure either. My only guess would be that the caffeine may have a stimulating effect on the metabolism... but I have sent off an email to the Teeccino people and have been promised a reply on Monday. And, they're sending me a free CD re the coffee/weight loss issue! Love free stuff 8)
SarahC

Postby Ally » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:29 am

Hey good going Sarah!! Have you tried their coffee as yet?? If you do can you let us know what you think please? Cheers
[/url]
Ally

Postby SarahC » Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:42 pm

I got a reply to the email I sent. It would seem that the reason that caffeine is included in some diet pills is because of its diuretic action. So you lose fluids, not fat... Interesting.

Ally, I haven't tried their coffees yet, and haven't heard of the others that you mentioned, Caro and Echo. Where do you get those from?

I have at home some dandelion tea, and another coffee substitute called Bambu (it has a lot of the same ingredients as the Teeccino ones, but it's instant so a bit more convenient). After I get through all those I'll start looking at buying some others. It might take a while though as they're not all that yummy! :roll:
SarahC

Postby Ally » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:36 pm

Hey Sarah you get Ecco and Caro from either the tea/coffee section or the health food section in the supermarket. Ecco comes in a tin (like Nescaffe or International Roast) and Caro is in a jar. I like the Caro better, but it is just a matter of choice. I like the dandelion tea from the health food shop ( I have the one that you have to brew called Dandelion Herb {Hilde Hemmes Traditional Herbal Tea})I have heard that it is good for fluid retetion.
[/url]
Ally

Postby workinprogress » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:48 pm

"Anyway, my question is, Why then, if caffiene slows weightloss, etc, are there so many diet pills that are EXTREMELY high in caffeine, and some of these people continue, and sometimes lose massive amounts of weight? (Im not condoning diet pills btw) I have known so many people that have used diet pills, fatblaster in particular, that have helped them to lose a LOT of weight, and most of them have managed to keep it off, with regular exercise and a healthy diet. So, yeah my question is, how does that work?"

Caffiene increases your metabolism, if you read the article carefully you will notice that in the first paragraph it states that caffiene increases your heart rate and other such responses in your body. When your heart rate is increased your metabolism is also because your body is required to burn off more calories in order to maintain this increase/stress. This is much like what happens with smokers. Please note that I do not condone smoking as I believe it is one of the worst things you can do to your body. Smokers have a higher metabolic rate because the body works harder at trying to eliminate the toxins thus burning more calories in the process. Both caffiene and smoking put your body under stress and that's what the article means by 'fight or flight'.

Diet pills use a combination of caffiene and herbs that are known to 'boost' metabolism. Caffiene can become dangerous when taken in large doses because of its effect on increasing the heart rate. Not long ago there were a lot of warnings about 'energy drinks' like V and Red Bull because of associated deaths that occurred, one of which was a person who consumed a couple of drinks at a club and then danced the night away only to die of heart failure because he put his heart under so much stress. There are warnings on the cans that say you should not consume more than 2 cans a day.

'When you stop hurting your body, your body will stop hurting you.'

Kristina
workinprogress

Postby SarahC » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:43 am

Thanks for that workinprogress... very interesting read :)

I too have heard that caffeine stimulates the metabolism. I'm not sure how long the effect would last though. I'm thinking it would just be a temporary raise, until the caffeine worked its way out of the system. Then you feel worse than before (don't you hate that!)

I know there are a lot of diets that tell you to eliminate caffeine altogether, Tony Ferguson being one of them. I'd say that would be for the exact reasons mentioned in the article. I also read in the Tony Ferguson literature that, in the liver, caffeine slows the conversion of fat to glucose...

Tiny amounts here and there cannot hurt though I am sure :?
SarahC

Return to Diet Talk