It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:53 am

Free Newsletter

Healthy eating is very confusing!!!

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

Healthy eating is very confusing!!!

Postby Dave » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:55 am

Back yet again…it really is hard to keep the weight off once you’ve had your gall bladder ripped out. Exercise just does not cut it anymore for me. Now that I’ve been enlightened on the food side of things, I’m still Very confused on what way to go.

I know to eat less in one big thing and eating a lot of veggies seems to be working. I’ve also bought a cold press juicer. But in my efforts to obtain information, I am kind of back spinning from all Vegans’/Vegetarians & Raw food crowds out there, so bent up on food types, cooked or uncooked.

No doubt forgoing certain foods for some people will work wonders, but I did not realize just how driven some of these crowds could be. It’s just really hard to get past all the spiritual & political connotations that come with the well intended explanations. Been Youtubing way too much I think..." The Life Regenerator " entertaining none the less.

What’s your take on all this healthy eating? Is anyone working on eating for a healthy Liver? Have Gall bladder & skin problems like me?

BREAD…Basically that is POISON for me. Has to be the yeast…anything with Yeast reacts badly with me for that matter. I think the Wheat products Bloat me so might even be giving Rice the flick…I might try out some Wild Rice.

Meat…I guess it’s all about digestion…chew it well and cut the fat and watch intake for the week? How it’s cooked probably an issue too. What vegetable is going to replace all the essentials found in meat or is there NO essentials in meat???????????????

Dairy…I hear eggs are actually good in small quantities…what do you think?
Milk on the other hand…I am starting to feel bloated on the stuff if I have too much & am starting to think there is some truth that diary is no good as you get older. Plenty of Sun and veggies for calcium I guess. I don’t like all the ideas of steroids/antibiotics and so on.

At the end of the day it is really disappointing to think all the processed foods we eat are really poisons only contributing to the aging process and breaking our bodies down further than need be. I am sick of the science of it all and doing a quick search on healthy eating has really left me more confused and perplexed at an almost religious aspect it gives to some. I guess whatever works.

Can’t wait till I get my juicer all the same... :wink:
"Action may not always bring happiness, but there is no happiness without action"
.................. Image...............
Dave

Re: Healthy eating is very confusing!!!

Postby Dave » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:52 am

Just as ironic, is the lack of trafic in this section of a weight loss forum
:lol:
"Action may not always bring happiness, but there is no happiness without action"
Dave

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:05 am

Hi Dave,

I'm vegan, but like you I think the health benefits get overwhelmed by the politics sometimes. For the record, I wouldn't recommend veganism for long term health or weight loss. You can be vegan and still be fat, I'm living proof of that! Most of my female vegan friends are overweight too. I think most people who lose weight when they become vegan do so initially because the dramatic change of diet shocks their body into weight loss and because unfamiliarity with vegan cooking and food choices means they restrict their diet far more than long term vegans.

I don't recommend veganism for health because it lacks in certain nutrients that you have to supplement. I was diagnosed as severely B12 deficient several years ago. That wasn't fun. So now I have to regularly take B12 supplements as well as calcium and vitamin D. A healthy diet shouldn't require extra supplements. However, basing most of your diet on veganism is very healthy. If you bulk up your diet with lots of fruit, vegetables and legumes you're off to a good start. Just add meat and dairy for the extra nutrients they can provide (depending on the source: iron, B12, omega 3, vitamin D, calcium).

I think you're on the money when you say processed foods are not healthy. Some people advise that you read the ingredients on everything and if there's an ingredient your grandmother wouldn't recognise, don't buy it. I think the best thing is to make sure most of your meals are made up of wholefoods and just have processed foods as occasional treats.

Fresh fruit, fresh or frozen vegetables, low GI wholegrains, root vegetables, nuts, seeds, legumes and fish would probably be the healthiest diet you could find as it's what we've evolved to eat. Be careful of what sort of fish you get, though, because many contain high levels of contaminants. If you don't want to risk eating fish regularly take high grade fish oil capsules for omega 3.

This is just off the top of my head, mind you. There are others on the forum who know more about this than I do so I'm looking forward to reading their responses!

cheers,
Ali
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Dave » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:47 pm

Hello again Ali...been quite some time. After having my gall bladder out, I have come to accept that FOOD is now my number one priority! as opposed to my wishful athletic dreams. I hear ya on Vegan thing Vs nutrient levels; however don't always believe what the doctors tell us. That is to say I would much prefer to go to a nutritionist Vs an MD. It really is hard to believe what is what & now I am pondering on the idea of having my amalgamated fillings replaced...leaching toxins...who knows anymore.

One thing I have decided to believe in, is that we are what we eat. I find it VERY HARD to believe that the food we buy at the supermarkets and especially flea markets is anything but fresh. Nutrient level is down to 40% at one week old, making many of these said super foods worthless buy the time we heat them up...if one does not debate the cooking issue :roll: The pills that scare mongering dvd's would have us take are not all that convincing either...but despite all the downfalls yea...I'll go with whatever seems to work. I'll avoid dairy and wheat for some time as not good for me with the rash thing and skin problems ect.........

I've been going well simply by not overeating and having no sugar/sweeteners and all the over processed crap...If it comes in a packet its out! Its been over 3 YEARS since I gave up the smokes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll be giving up all that packaged crap in the same light I gave up smoking..............I guarantee I'll look like what I eat and it's all going to be good.

I really need to update that sig...Nice chatting with you again Wombat :wink:
Dave

Postby kotobird » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:59 am

Hey guys, I agree with you on the packaged food thing - common sense really.... We should eat the things our bodies have evolved to thrive on - lots of vegetables, fruit, nuts and seeds, legumes, wholegrains, and a little meat (if you eat it, which I don't - but I don't hold it against you if you do :wink: )

I do eat dairy at the moment, because it seems to be an easy way to get protein, and I have been craving some different sources of it since on a diet. I was vegan for a number of years, and I do agree with WombatQueen on the idea that it's totally possible to be vegan and chubby, but I have gained about 8kg since I reverted back to being plain old vegetarian (couple years ago). I think the main thing is that I no longer said no to foods that had dairy in them, especially cake and chocolate, and that inadvertently got me eating more.

On the bread thing - you can get yeast free breads if you think that's the problem, or try out some organic sourdough bread from a local baker, they're so much more healthy than packaged supermarket bread, and you can get the spelt variety, which if you don't know about it, is an old variety of wheat which is lower in gluten and easier to digest than regular wheat. To me, a good freshly made loaf of sourdough from an honest baker with simple ingredients (ie no additives) makes the difference between eating a "wholegrain" food, to a "packaged" food in the supermarket breads.

But yeah, I guess part of the journey is doing the research for your own needs, trying things out, listening to your body and experimenting with diet changes until your body starts to respond well :)

SW: 83.1
MG 1: 78kg ACHIEVED!
MG 2: 75kg
MG 3: 72.5kg
MG 4: 70kg
Final Goal: 67kg
kotobird

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:43 am

kotobird wrote:I think the main thing is that I no longer said no to foods that had dairy in them, especially cake and chocolate, and that inadvertently got me eating more.

That is soooo true. It's easier to have the willpower to say no to chocolate cake if the ingredients are prohibited than just because you think it's not a good idea for your long-term weight loss. In that way veganism can keep your calories down simply because it's harder to find treat food. Unfortunately I'm very good at finding it regardless! I've recently switched to a mostly organic diet and within a week I'd found organic vegan corn chips, salsa, chocolate, wine, etc. :lol:

The first time I bought organic sourdough bread I was shocked when I looked at the ingredients. I hadn't realised how accustomed I was to all of the additives we put into food. Just having basic ingredients like water, flour and salt was a real eye-opener. There were only about five ingredients whereas non-organic bread tends to have five lines of chemicals!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby e&me » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:03 am

I think if you eat foods that are as close as natural as possible then your on the right track, eat veggies raw when you can or lightly steam them, dont add extras like oil when cooking. Eating meat does provide a lot of essential nutrients, but servings should only be palm size, and the more you cook food the more nutrients are lost. Try eating more fish and white meat like chicken breast, I am trying to only have 2 serves or red meat a week.

There are endless diets out there that all claim to be the best, it can be very confusing! But the best place to look is the Australian Government department of health and ageing website- they have some great tips on getting the balance right
1/01/2011 Start week
8/01/2011 Week 1
15/01/2011 Week 2
22/01/2011 Week 3
29/01/2011 Week 4
5/02/2011 Week 5
12/02/2011 Week 6
19/02/2011 Week 7
26/02/2011 Week 8
5/03/2011 Week 9
12/03/2011 Week 10
19/03/2011 Week 11