It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:56 am

Free Newsletter

my starvation diet

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

my starvation diet

Postby dragonfly » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:37 pm

well, it wasnt me, but I was rushed to hospital with severe abdominal pain, and 3 days later was going under to have my gall bladder removed. In the meantime, I was NIL by mouth, for 72 hours, and lost 9kilos :) yay.
Not the right way to do it lol, but it got me back on track and its been almost 2 weeks now and I am feeling pretty good, and down about 11 kilos. I now need to follow a low fat diet, which I have done for 9 days now. I am used to calorie counting, and doing kate morgan, but a simple low fat diet.... i have never done.
SO anyway I am just looking for advice, and ideas and anyone who has done this, or had their gallbladder removed?
karin
mum of 5
loosing by eating low fat, natural, organic and fresh

heaviest weight: 189kg
goal weight: 89kg
currently: 143.5kg
TOTAL LOST: 45.5kg
dragonfly

Re: my starvation diet

Postby Dave » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:24 am

Hi dragonfly,
I have to run now...but I will find time to later to tell of how I have had to change my habits to accomodate for my missing gall bladder.
"Action may not always bring happiness, but there is no happiness without action"
.................. Image...............
Dave

Postby Dave » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:07 pm

Hi again dragonfly. I am not so busy now, although had a very big day. Sorry to hear about the hospital trip. Living with a sick gall bladder is a very painful affair indeed. I soon learnt that after the gall bladder has been removed, that eating the rights foods is still important as the liver is now doing all the work producing extra enzymes to assist & or attempt to break down foods you gall bladder would normally do. Some people without a gall bladder think it’s open season on all the wrong types of yummy food, however if they are one of the many who get the side effect of having the runs…they will soon learn there is a price to pay! For me, I get an itchy bum if eating the wrong types of fats and so on…I assume it has something to do with the extra enzymes my liver produces combines with the undigested fats. My research shows this is also common amongst people without gall bladders. Many other people without a gall bladder also struggle with weight loss having to work harder than usual if they had otherwise had their body part intact. I am not definite on the exact reason this is, however once again “assume” it has something to do with the liver working overtime and the body’s shift to a new digestion process…perhaps this has altered the metabolism in some way.
I don’t know the answers really, but for me…eating healthy is a must as I have become aware of the importance my Liver now plays, & can actually feel it when it needs a break or I am not being careful with what I eat. I have been very careful with the amount of alcohol I drink…when on the rare occasions I do drink now…I have researched food that are good for the liver & will avoid cheese completely and only use Natural yogurts & specific - easily digest milks. The amount of food I eat is smaller than usual and I very much try to avoid any fats on Meat as well as have cut my meat eating down to about 15-20% of what is was…I do eat a lot more salmon and give preference to chicken over read meat…Overall….I am trying very hard to stick with RAW foods and am VERY careful of “ANY PACKAGED FOODS” The amount of chemicals added to health foods is a joke and just something else an overworked Liver does not need. I recently bought a COLD PRESS juicer & have found juicing greens fantastic for my liver & something which I can actually pamper my liver with when I feel the need to look after it some more. Cold Press Fruit Juice is Fantastic…(although choosing the right fruits for a cold press is something you learn as you go) Combining my fruits/veggies & Nuts with my occasional Meat & fish meals is something I am coming to appreciate the science of as it is very important to get right, especially with days you are active or less mobile on. Herbs have also played a great part:
You may like me…still be susceptible to BLOATING if either getting the mix wrong or eating something that takes too much breaking down…By making a FRESH herbal tea with Lavender and mint from out in your garden…you can relieve this problem immediately as well as a host of other issues you may or may not suffer. I use chamomile often as a relaxant (once again fresh from my garden & try not to use any sweetener when trying to utilize the full healing effect of such herbs) BUT now having found this new concoction of Lavender and mint…not only does it help with Bloat…but for me it is fantastic when trying to get back to sleep on those stressful nights you can’t shake those thoughts…works really well for that…they said good for depression, now I know why.
SO…it was really an eye opener for my having no choice but to simply start eating healthy and forgetting all the diets. I gave up smoking about 3 and a half years ago now…I just knew with that eating the wrong foods was still killing me even with my gall bladder out…I knew I was having a harder time losing weight without my gall bladder…I could feel my liver working overtime and still suffered with bloating and still indigestion…So I finally decided that I still had a problem with a missing a gall bladder and the fact it was gone, meant that I was going to have to try harder than the average person (lol the average person these days, does not have one)if I was ever going to get healthy again. Instead of exercising like Rocky as I would usually do…I decided I had to make a life changing decision to get real with my food once and for all…and without having to come back in here to do it…DO OR DIE…so with the same distaste I took to smoking and with that resolve, I decided to start eating healthy…Now instead of counting calories…I read the labels for all the chemicals that help bond, preserve, color, flavor, et.. I look at the temperature the foods are dried…I look for cold press over heated…yadda yadda…you get the picture. There really is no point in counting calories if your still eating food full of chemicals that are BAD for you LIVER/Body…Since my family has switched to this method (also identify bloating foods) I don’t scratch my bum when waking up in the mornings, I don’t get bloated, I now feel lighter and my skin is much better…(Liver problems associated with no gall bladder or Liver issues in general result in skin problems)…Life in general is Bliss compared to what it was like before…All this new eating whole foods without the chemicals took a lot of effort, but after you have detoxed, those herbal remedies really kick in…Oh yea avoid any stimulants as well………….Yea Yea……it’s kewl…It’s nt for me to tell you, but I can tell you, that when it comes to eating for the rest of your life without a gall bladder…it’s a whole new ball game and something you have to make for life…Gall bladder diets are out there…but not in the sense of something you just try and then give the flick…look for good liver foods and forget all that packaged stuff (UNLESS on the very rare occasions you find %100 certified organic –not the word “organic” and it pertains to your current medical conditions to digest it- example Flaxmeal or Stevia)
Sorry for the raving on…I am still only months into this new lifestyle…my kids have even lost weight and my wife, who has just been diagnosed with MS…all swear by these new choices we now make. Whilst Oats and Wheat may be good for some people, you may find these foods full of stuff that add to bloating as well…I avoid Bread full stop…but when I do…I choose gluten & yeast Free. Learn how to make Pumpkin Pasta!!!!! So Much Better for ya and Tasty as well.
A word on Cost…Once you cut out all the takeaways and downsize the amounts of food, you will quickly surprise yourself as just how cost efficient it can be to eat healthy. On a low energy day, I don’t need to eat much at all, especially when juicing…and even on my high energy days, by selecting the right foods in the right order…it’s not as expensive as people make out.
Well my attention span has just gone…I hope some of what I said makes a little sense or perhaps will inspire you…The one thing I can tell you though…Anyone who has lost a part of their body once so important to breaking down food, is just as foolish not to consider the consequences of feeding it the same kinds of foods that led to its breakdown, just as someone who continues to smoke because it’s keeps their metabolism high or simply disregard the consequences of continuing to keep smoking.
Best wishes with whatever you decide, & don’t hesitate to ask me any questions or simply chat. I’m still learning and no doubt will be for the rest of my life… :wink:
Dave
"Action may not always bring happiness, but there is no happiness without action"
Dave

Postby dragonfly » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:18 am

thanks dave, gotta run now, but will be back soon to read thouroughly. just wanted to reply to say thanks.
karin
mum of 5

dragonfly

Postby dragonfly » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:56 pm

ok, have read it all, and alot of information.
they let me out of the hospital, told me alot of people get fat after they have the gallbladder out as they think its a free for all with food.
I didnt want it out, and put up with the attacks for months. after eating at friends, or out somewhere seemed to always cause the pain and vommiting.
it was hubby's satay that pushed me over the edge which prompted me to go to hospital for pain, and they transferred me to the city where I was operated on.

our life here is on a farm. take-aways are well.... non exisitant. I cook most of our foods from scratch, we make our own yogurts, icecreams and bread, so I would love to have the pumpkin pasta recipe. i have 5 kids, so time is precious, but we do make our own pasta, lasagne sheets most of the times. we have fresh laid eggs. and grow some veggies.
I think I am already on the organic track, my personal (and kids) shampoo, soaps, etc are all organic, or herbal, or close to as we can get. Our fridge and freezer are full of basic foods, and you are right with the packed boxed fast chicken snitzels and nuggets are more expensive. I wizz up my own breadcrumbs and make nuggets in 20mins.

but any other great recipes, I am willing and open to try and happy if you would share.

I am 11 days since my operation. they did keyhole which has been great for physical recovery. almost normal, altho very very tired still, and bending down still feels tight and a bit sore.

I went to a healthy lifestlye group last night meeting. they dont focus of the scales going down, rather living a better lifestyle. we eat a meal together and share recipes as well. they had a pyramid graph showing what to eat, which i ahve known from a kid, and so many things around telling dont eat this, and do eat that, and its just so confusing!!!

a naturopath told me a few years ago, no wheat or dairy. but then later told to eat dairy its ok. then told no carbs, and then told to eat carbs.

so confused. I just want to loose weight. I hate being fat.
karin
mum of 5

dragonfly

Postby Dave » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:44 pm

I'll see if my wife can dig it up, as she is the wiz in that department :) As for recipies...we basically try to avoid the wheat and all at other stuff I previously mentioned. We mostly throw most salads with nuts, fruits and vegges with the acasional meat in a Wok. We strive to avoids animal and most fats all togeather unless cold pressed...you see most fats (mono's & animals) heated around 180 degrees cellcious for over 60minutes, produce nastys that will clog your cells and do you no good at all...cancer causing bla bla bla...how do we know this...just a few health seminars we have trusted to listen too...........No doubt too much info...not to worry.

The main thing is to avoid foods that weigh down on your liver. Anyone who eats the wrong foods will get fat...The truth is...there is a load of people without a gall bladder complaining on the internet about how they are finding it so hard to keep the weight off. I tend to agree with this as someone who has no gall bladder. It's simply a new transition for the body and one that takes it time to adjust.

Sounds like your on the right track...I'd still avoid to many of the wrong types of carbs or callories, mono & animal fats and keep you dairy to a minimum...trial and error I guess.

Good luck with it...& I'll get back to you with some good healthy Liver recipies...too much to do at the moment. :)
please keep me informed of how your handling thing...At the end of the day...and as you know...what we see in the mirror and how we generally feel, is a good gauge to go by...I had a few of the wrong foods tonigh and feel like a lead weight...I should follow my own advice before making out I know anything.

Have a good one
Dave
Dave

Return to Diet Talk