It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:16 pm

Free Newsletter

Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free

Postby nat83 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:05 am

My Doctor has put me on a Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free diet, does anyone have any tips or food ideas, i feel i cant eat anything :lol: im so hungery. Any advice would be wonderful. thanks :D
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wHk92Ov/]
[/url]
nat83

Re: Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:03 pm

Fresh foods! Go bananas with fruit and veg and lean meat/fish/poultry and then throw in a big pile of legumes (beans, lentils, chickpeas etc). You can find gluten and dairy free baked goods and pasta in most supermarkets now (in the health/alternative foods section), but you may find you don't actually need them if you work your diet right. You can also buy gluten free flours that are getting pretty good at replicating normal wheat based flour. You can also make your own mixes with masa flour (corn flour - but read the label, some corn flours have wheat), rice four (ditto), besan flour (chickpea flour), or use ground nuts like almond meal. Having said that, baked goods probably aren't high on your priority list anyway!

As far as dairy free, there's plenty of alternatives now to milk products that don't have gluten, for e.g. rice milk and soy (I don't THINK soy contains gluten). And there are plenty of non-dairy margarines available, OR just substitute with something like avocado. You can also get soy, goat and sheep milk, cheese and yoghurts etc. You probably don't want to know this, but you can also get gluten and dairy free chocolate.... just saying! If you really need a chocolate fix and you can't get dairy free, you can always do a "hot chocolate" with cocoa and soy/goat milk anyway.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Re: Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free

Postby nat83 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:49 pm

Thxs so much for the information.... its going to be a big change for me..... And as for the chocolate even though i dont crave things like that anymore its always good to know that when i do there is something else out there lol. Thanks again :D
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wHk92Ov/]
[/url]
nat83

Return to Diet Talk