It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:51 am

Free Newsletter

Breakfast smoothie?

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

Breakfast smoothie?

Postby PipersMum » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:34 pm

Can anyone suggest some different combinations for a breakfast smoothie that is healthy and somewhat filling. I have an 8 month old and do a lot of running around with her in the mornings so need to keep my energy levels up.

Thanks!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wIBha84/]
[/url]
PipersMum

Re: Breakfast smoothie?

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:35 am

Grab some fruit of your choice... berries are probably the best IMO - lots of anti-oxidants. Banana will make it a tad sweeter. Banana and unsweetened cocoa makes a good choc/banana flavour.
Grab some yoghurt (plain, no added sugar, low fat if you swing that way), or milk
Grab a handful of rolled oats (not quick oats).
1/2tsp cinnamon (apparently cinnamon is good for regulating blood sugar, helping prevent diabetes... anyone heard this before?)

Stick them all in a blender and go crazy, adjust the liquid-ness with a bit more milk if it's too thick, or add some more fruit/oats to thicken.
The oats will provide fiber and a low GI carbs for energy, you've got taste from the fruit and protein from the dairy.
If you really really really need to sweeten it, use honey. Even though it's high carb, same as sugar, it has more nutrition and I think a more complimentary flavour to the fruit.
It'll take you longer to clean the blender than to make.

When bubs gets a bit older she'll be able to have some too!
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Dave » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:47 pm

NICE!!!!!!! I was looking for something wholesome. I'll use the natural plain yogurt over the milk any day and add my favorite natural sweetener STEVIA :D I'll add my almond milk as well :mrgreen:

THANKS for the tip on cinnamon ...
http://www.skrewtips.com/2009/01/27/yum ... d-for-you/
Here is some word of warning on it though...last paragraph of above link. (I'll be looking deeper into this as I like the anti fungal capability!)
"A couple words of warning – first, cinnamon (only the cassia variety) contains a compound called coumarin, which is both good and bad. It is anti fungal, which can be good for treating yeast overgrowth, but it also has a blood-thinning effect. For this latter reason, people with blood disorders or people who are on blood thinners already should not take therapeutic doses of cinnamon. Second, when I talk about taking cinnamon, I mean taking the actual powdered spice, not the essential oil: the sugar regulatory benefits come from the physical spice itself, not from the compounds in the oil. In fact, the oil can be toxic in higher quantities. If the thought of ingesting cinnamon powder sounds strange or cumbersome, you can find capsules of cinnamon in your local health food store."
"Action may not always bring happiness, but there is no happiness without action"
.................. Image...............
Dave

Postby vickyyadav » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:10 pm

Where would I be without my blender? Got a great bargain on a Philips juicer a few days ago (bought it 60% off retail price), keep it on the kitchen counter right next to the blender now and use fresh juice in smoothies. Magic in a glass, I tell ya. But anyway, I digress!
Last edited by EvilWombatQueen on Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Advertising link in signature removed.
vickyyadav

Return to Diet Talk