It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:35 pm

Free Newsletter

Something to think about: Spring water

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

Something to think about: Spring water

Postby Puffer » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:58 pm

Aside from the fact that it takes a lot more than 600ml of water to make a bottle of spring water and spring water is now just as expensive as more 'value added' drinks such as soft drink... it seems spring water may not be any better than tap water after all.

Now let me give you the background to this so you don't think I am weird: I drink RO-DI water. That is, water which has gone through a reverse osmosis & di-ionisation purification process. I only drink it because I can - I have an RO-DI unit to purify the water that I put into my saltwater reef tank otherwise I wouldn't bother. I also have this handy gadget called a TDS (total dissolved solids) meter which measures (you guessed it) the total dissolved solids in water (ie, the stuff that isn't really water).

Water that comes out of my RO-DI unit has a TDS of 0. That means as far as the machine can tell it is as close to 'just' water as it can get.

Canberra tap water is considered to be some of the best in the country. The TDS of Canberra tap water which has gone through the 30 year old pipes in my house is 50ppm. That means 50 parts per million of the water in my taps is not actually water, it's god knows what.

but this result is what I am getting at I just cracked open a bottle of mount franklin spring water and the TDS is 71! I am astounded that supposedly 'fresh' 'pure' water has more dissolved solids than tap water.

So I say: save water and save yourself spme $$ - spring water seems to actually be less pure than tap water! At least in Canberra anyway...
Puffer

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:17 pm

how interesting christina! i drink tap water too. i prefer the taste of it to bottled water!
kate_turner2000

Postby KimE » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:08 pm

Yeah I drink tap water but use one of those britta filter thingies and I like the taste of it through that. Thanks Christina never thought too much about it before. That TDS business is interesting.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby MissE » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:39 am

thats really interesting! I hate to think what the TDA of Adelaide water is though, the stuff is hideous.
I'd love a pura-tap but I'm in a rental so we keep buying big casks of spring water...
Life is too important to be taken seriously!
MissE

Postby slimmindown » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:41 pm

I'm with Kim, I love my Brita water :lol:
[no excuses, I can do it!
slimmindown

Postby Lolly » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:16 pm

I only drink spring water when caught out without my trusty "refill" - I take it most places and always have cold water on hand - in fact I have about 4 bottles in the fridge at work (talking all day is very thirsty work)
Every day I am getting thinner and thinner.....

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wOMybmc/]
[/url]
Lolly

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:20 pm

I would prefer to drink tap water and used to at the old flat, but at our new place the water is revolting. It tastes like a muddy swimming pool. Seriously.

I've been meaning to get myself a water purifier or something since we moved in. If anyone knows a good one, please let me know.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby KimE » Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:40 pm

I use one of those britta filter jug thingies. Bought it at the supermarket. You can buy the jugs or the filter that goes on the tap, not sure which is more cost effective. I don't like the taste of tap water where we live now.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Jisgone » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:38 pm

im lucky we have nice tap water!
nothing worse than that horrible metalic/chemical/plasticy tasting stuff that some areas have
Jisgone

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:24 pm

i like my tap water too. when my bottles start going yuck i buy a new bottle of water and make mick drink it! lol cos i hate the taste of bottled water

kate_turner2000

Return to Diet Talk