It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:50 pm

Free Newsletter

Drinking Water & Fat Loss

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

Drinking Water & Fat Loss

Postby SarahC » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:35 am

I was wondering why it is that drinking water helps you to lose weight. Now I know! Just found this little article:

"Drinking water enhances fat loss, there is no doubt about it... In a recent study, 14 healthy, normal-weight subjects (7 men and 7 women) were used to assess the effects of drinking 500mL of water on energy expenditure, metabolism and fuel utilization. The scientists assessed energy expenditure and metabolic rate using whole-room indirect calorimetry which is an accurate method of assessing changes to metabolism.

Results showed that drinking 500mL of water increased metabolic rate by 30%! Drinking water increases thermogenesis (calories expended via heat). About 40% of the thermogenic effect originates from the body warming the water from room temperature to body temperature. The total thermogenic response to water consumption in this study was about 24 calories. Drinking 2L of water a day would augment energy expenditure by approximately 100 calories. If a person is on a calorie-restricted diet this amount will definitely add up as weeks go by to ensure better fat loss results."

Cool... 100 calories a day 8)
SarahC

Postby Mandie » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:39 am

That's awesome!

Well done for finding that Sarah :D
Mandie

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:15 pm

interesting thanks sarah!
kate_turner2000

Postby tiffanyp » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:05 pm

Just a question.... can you drink too much water???
I am finding that I am drinking so much water that I am not hungry at all!!!!

I am wondering if I am eating enough!!
tiffanyp

Postby hushpuppy » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:32 pm

u can od kinda on water but u would have to be drinking like 6- 8 litres . something about it can mess with your electrolytes and cause u to vomit ect .

You would need to chug down about three quarts of water or more all at once to come down with a case of true water intoxication. It does happen, but so rarely that I couldn't find statistics on the number of cases. These people become drowsy, lightheaded, and weak. They have trouble coordinating bodily movements and thinking straight, looking and feeling as if they just stumbled out of the local bar. But the water-intoxicated can't just go home and sleep it off. They must get treatment or risk going into convulsions, a coma, or even death.

jules
[url=http://www..com]Image[blinkiebee/url]
SW 107kg
CW 99.8kg
GW 65kg
hushpuppy

Postby tiffanyp » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:41 pm

Far out Jewles! You've scared me :o
Only kidding. Nah, I am not that bad!

It just seems to be that my appetite has been supressed.....and I seem to be happy with water intake and not much else!

Cheers
Tiffany :D
tiffanyp

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:17 pm

once i drank so much water i got chest pains- it felt like i was drowning- no joke!
kate_turner2000

Postby Dee » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:04 pm

I'm sure I've been od'ing the water in the last few hot days - I drunk 6 litres today, and ended up just feeling dizzy and yuck. I actually ended up eating a piece of toast with vegemite and butter, just to put something non liquid in my stomach! (Have had a craving since the vegmite toast thread. LOL)

Dee
[url=http://www.phenforum.com/ticker/]
[/url]
Dee

Postby laura » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:30 pm

From the article I understood that not just water but any cold fluid will have the same effect :oops: . I'm also addicted to Coke (Diet) not just chocolate :roll: .
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wVPFGZa/]
[/url]
laura

Return to Diet Talk