It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:09 pm

Free Newsletter

STEVIA - NATURE'S SWEETENER

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

STEVIA - NATURE'S SWEETENER

Postby Ally » Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:55 am

Hi there lovely peoples...I have been doing some research on Stevia. I Have posted an article below with some information on it. I am going over to the health food store today to buy some tablets so that I can use them in my tea and coffee and also some powder to use in baking....I shall let you know how it goes and what it tastes like etc... The fact that it is all natural, has no calories and aids in weight loss was enough for me to give it a go!!! Artificial Sweeteners have been banned in Japan for 20 years and they use this stuff in their softdrinks and the like... Let me know what you all think!!

Stevia

An all-natural herbal substitute for sugar and an aid to weight loss

Non Caloric
Superior Taste
GMO-Free
Helps maintain normal healthy blood sugar levels
Helps support healthy pancreatic function
Helps maintain a healthy digestive function
Convenient pocket-size containers
Stevia Rebaudiana is an outstanding sweet tasting herb that has remarkable health promoting qualities, contains zero calories and it is absolutely safe to use. The glycosides in its leaves (Steviosides/Rebaudiosides) account for its incredible sweetness, making it unique among the nearly 300 species of Stevia plants.

A good quality Stevia product has a taste that has been described as sweet, delicious and refreshing. Some people experience a slight liquorice aftertaste, but generally high quality Stevia contains very little of this aftertaste.

Stevia is a small shrub that is native to North Eastern Paraguay and adjacent sections of Brazil in South America, where the Native Guarani Indians have used it for over 1500 years as a sweetener, a digestive aid, a tonic and as a topical aid in wound healing.

In the late 1880's a scientist named Antonio Bertoni discovered Stevia in Paraguay and announced his discovery of this species in a botanical journal and was credited with "discovering" Stevia. Hence the botanical name Stevia Rebaudiana Bertoni".

Since then, there has been a steady growth in the popularity of Stevia outside of South America, to the extent that it is now being consumed in North America, China, Japan, Malaysia, Israel, South Korea, the whole Pacific Rim and now in Australia.

Stevia has many favourable and exciting health benefits and is completely non-toxic. The herb is nutrient rich, containing substantial amounts of calcium, phosphorous, as well as sodium, magnesium, zinc, rutin, Vitamin A, Vitamin C and over 100 phytonutrients.

Stevia is also being used as an aid to weight loss and weight management, since it contains zero calories and reduces the craving for sweet and fatty foods. Therefore weight watchers love it. It is ideal for children as it prevents tooth decay and cavities.

Unlike sugar, it does not trigger a rise in blood sugar levels. You wont get a sudden burst of energy followed by fatigue and a need for another "fix". Studies suggest that Stevia may have a regulatory effect on the pancreas and could help stabilise blood sugar levels in the body, making it a wise choice for people with diabetes and hypoglycemia. It increases energy, aides digestion and gastrointestinal functions and has many other health benefits.

Since artificial sweeteners have been banned in Japan for more than 20 years, the Japanese are the greatest consumers of Stevia and it is now estimated that in Japan Stevia is being used in over 30% of their food products. In Japan, Stevia is used in Coca Cola for its Diet Coke, by Sunkist and Nestle as a sweetener and by Wrigleys in their sugar free gums.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby Mandie » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:35 am

yeah that looks great Ally!

Definitely let us know how it tastes!

The Japanese might be onto a good thing there, they have the longest life expectancy in the world at the moment, I'm pretty sure! So they are a healthy nation!
Mandie

Postby Ally » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:44 am

Hey Mandie, well I went and bought the tablets yesterday for my tea and coffee and although it will take a bit of getting used to I will definately stick to them. It is no different to getting used to the taste of artificial sweetener ( I remember the first time that I tried diet coke and jelly....LOL) I am definately going to try it in the baking side of things next time I feel the urge to cook something sweet!!!
[/url]
Ally

Postby Groovychic » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:45 am

My partner told me something interesting this morning. His uncle is well to put it bluntly nearly dead....he's in his late 80s. Anyway he's been sick for years. I vaguely remember him healthy about 15 years ago! Anyway his kidneys have now packed it in(his main complaint tho is his heart) and the doctors said to him that the main reason for his kidney failure is all the diet coke that he used to drink! I went thru a stage of about a year or so of drinking pepsi max a few years ago but havent touched the diet stuff for years. I dont drink soft drink unless it is mized with alcohol now anyway....hahaha!!! I dont know how much he used to drink but the doc said it was to do with the phenaleniline........ok I'm not doing a spell check on that one!!!! You all know what I mean anyway. So yes the Japanese are on to something there as well. Plus you look at their weight. They dont tend to be overweight, yet they eat a lot of carbs with the rice etc. But they also eat a lot of fish as well, which of course is very good for you. I think they are big tuna eaters and that is the best sort of fish for you. They say you should eat oily fish. And I guess they eat it raw so there is no added fat within the cooking process. Now I think I would vomit if I tried to eat that!!! Even cooked. I bought tuna yesterday for the puppy.......hahaha. Just the little tins in oil. I was going to buy the black and gold one and then thought nup I will get the good stuff for her. How sad is that!!! I cant stand the stuff. The other day after I gave her a tin for lunch my partner came home for lunch and said what the hell have you been cooking cos it reeks! I said its the dogs lunch so he was pleased it wasnt for him!!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSt8KHJ/]
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:56 am

my brother is a gym junkie and has lost a lot of weight since going but he still drinks pepsi max like its going out of fashion! maybe i should let him know that... thanks groovychic for sharing that about your hubbys uncle!

you meant phenylalanine hehe
kate_turner2000

Postby Groovychic » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:19 am

Hahaha......yeah thats the one Kate!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSt8KHJ/]
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby Ally » Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:38 pm

Groovychic I stopped eating or drinking anything with artificial sweetener in it a couple of months ago now as I was having things going wrong that the doctor couldn't explain (dizziness, headaches, unusual bloating, my arms and back of neck would get tingling and burning) all have since stopped since I have stopped drinking or eating anything "artificial". I ran my own experiment with stopping the stuff and found that I no longer suffer any of the symptoms. I am trialling this Stevia as it is a herb with nothing else added to it.
[/url]
Ally

Postby SarahC » Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:35 am

I finally discovered this in the health food shop yesterday... just put some on my cereal. Gosh it is sweet!! I only used a tiny speck of it too :o (My grandma gave me the tiniest little spoons some time ago that she bought in India. They are "salt spoons" apparently. I now have a use for them - yay!)

Anyway, thanks for the tip Ally. It's definitely yummy, and I'm sure a lot better for me than all those Equals :D

How are you going with it? Are you still using it?
SarahC

Postby Ally » Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:56 am

Hi Sarah, yes I am still using it in my tea and coffee...do you have the granulated one?? That is my next step is to get that one and try it in baking....and yep it is very sweet!! I can only have half a tablet in my tea and coffee...aparently you can get a liquid one too.
[/url]
Ally

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:00 am

Oooh might have to try this one.. I'm trying to stop with the artificial sweeteners (eg Diet Coke and sugarfree gum). I actually feel quite gross when I have them. I still have diet cordial but I don't use much.

Can you get Stevia in Coles/Woolies do you reckon?
zeedeveelgirl

Postby SarahC » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:03 pm

I haven't seen it in the supermarket... thought I was doing pretty well to spy it in the health food store :P

I've got the granulated one - so I can use my tiny little spoon lol, and I thought it would be easier to sprinkle on cereal or put it into my protein shakes.

Hehe just remembered, I put some in the diet jelly I made last night... will be interesting to see how it tastes :lol:
SarahC

Postby Ally » Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:04 am

I don't know about where you live Em, but I am pretty sure that you can only buy it either in a health food shop or online.....in Australia it is illegal to sell it as a natural sweetener, they have to sell it as a health supplement!!! (how stupid is that...they sell artificial sweetener no worries, but they won't allow a natural product on the market....aparently Japan uses it in there "diet" softdrinks for years as artificial sweeteners have been banned in Japan for 20 years!
[/url]
Ally

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:37 am

Far out, that's really weird! That would be why I couldn't find it in Coles or Woolies! Will have to check out my health food store. Hahaha a supplement for what, I wonder!? A natural laxative when taken in large doses?!
zeedeveelgirl

Postby Fairie » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:38 am

I can't stand the taste of Stevia but have found Xylitol much better. If anyone wants to look it up here's the web site.

http://www.nirvanahealthproducts.com
-Fay-

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSDGUdx/]
[/url]
Fairie

Re: STEVIA - NATURE'S SWEETENER

Postby papartman » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:44 am

A natural sweetener that adds flavor to your coffee, tea or baked goods. Who knew that zero calories could taste so sweet?

Another example of this is Honey,which is nature's original sweeter,is a natural source of energy and has many nutritional benefit.
papartman

Return to Diet Talk