It is currently Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:10 am

Free Newsletter

Is exercise necessary with a diet plan?

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

Is exercise necessary with a diet plan?

Postby Agnieszka » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:23 pm

Guys...
I just want to ask what do you think Is exercise necessary with a diet plan..???
share your opinion with me...>
Last edited by CronicBadger on Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Stealth spammer, spammy sig removed.
Agnieszka

Re: Is exercise necessary with a diet plan?

Postby Roblyssa » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:28 pm

I will be interested to hear this answer too!

And to what level of exercise? Weights? Cardio? Combination? How often per week? How long per session?
Roblyssa

Postby mitchymitch » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:05 pm

I think it is aboslutly vital,

While i believe that what you eat makes up 90% of weight loss, being fit and active makes it much easier to keep the weight off once u reach you goal.
My BFL Challenge M, 23, 186cm
Started 18/10/10
-----------------------------
SW: 98.8kgs
CW: 86.5kgs (27/11/11)
GW: 83Kgs By 1/1/12
Wight Loss So Far: 12.5kgs
BF% - ~9%
mitchymitch

Postby Metalcharm » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:43 am

I'll agree with mitchy here.
Sure you will lose weight with just diet but to speeed it up exercise will help.
Cardio is good for fat burning but you need the weights inthere to increase muscle and therefore burn more calories.
(And don't listen to that stupid rapidburn ad saying that the six pack of your dreams is laying under all that fat ... no it's not - you have to work at it!!!)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w9ttOuh/]
Metalcharm

Postby 3ss3nc3 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:50 pm

i think if you're not going to exercise, then you better have a very strict diet- I'm talking low fat, low carb etc. 'They' say that diet makes up 80% and exercise is 20% in the weightloss journey... however, I have noticed on the weeks where my calorie consumption is the same as the week before, but one week i exercise and the other i dont, i tend to lose on the weeks when i exercise. so for me personally, exercise is very important.
3ss3nc3

Postby hanney882 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:00 pm

I think it is necessary to exercise while dieting. It is good to have an active and healthy lifestyle while dieting. Exercises like cardiovascular workouts can help us to lose weight easily. Lifting weights can tone up our muscles and help us to have a good body figure. Swimming is a full body workout and you can enjoy while doing this.
hanney882

Postby AndyJ » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:05 am

Scientifically No.

I could eat a restricted calorie diet of 1500 per day and lose the weight I want to, I did this a long long LONG time ago.

However, doing exercise as others have said helps maintain muscle, possibly increase it, it also makes you fitter (what is the use of losing weight to still be unfit?). It also helps your body maintain weight in the future, if you do not go back to eating crap and doing nothing that is.
High : 136 Kg (Oct 2006)
Low : 76.6 Kg (Mar 2007)
Current : 87.15 Kg (13th Aug 2014)
Goals. : 78-79kg Kg
Maximum Allowed: 81 Kg
AndyJ

Postby DD Diva » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:45 am

AndyJ wrote:Scientifically No.

I could eat a restricted calorie diet of 1500 per day and lose the weight I want to, I did this a long long LONG time ago.

However, doing exercise as others have said helps maintain muscle, possibly increase it, it also makes you fitter (what is the use of losing weight to still be unfit?). It also helps your body maintain weight in the future, if you do not go back to eating crap and doing nothing that is.

That is so true Andy!!!

It is very possible to lose weight without doing a minute of exercise, but I agree, what's the point of losing weight if you're going to remain unfit. Ultimately what this will do will encourage you to become lazy, and inturn risks you regaining the weight!

But besides all of this, when you lose weight you tend to have a certain "spring in your step" and although you may not want to run a marathon (goodness knows, I don't!) you actually do want to become more physically active. I now love going for long walks whereas once upon a time I'd have done anything and everything to avoid it. :oops:
DD Diva

Postby Blitz » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:02 pm

Those of us who have lost a great deal of weight will find exercise essential. Apart from the metabolism slowing down because of the aging process, people who have lost a significant weight also find that their bodies have biologically reset themselves to try to regain that lost weight by any means possible. I for example, even though my eating is modest, can gain a kilo a day without any trouble at all by not exercising.

A survey of people who have maintained significant weight loss for a year or more showed that the vast majority had three things common to their success...
1) They all weighed themselves daily (many recording/logging their weight)
2) Their food intake didn't vary greatly (consistently ate the same foods - in the same portions)
3) They all exercised at least an hour or more daily

I have found that for my continued success in maintenance that I too have found that to be true.

BTW Yes, you can lose weight by food control alone...but that is like entering a boxing match with one hand tied behind your back. Not a good idea...very unlikely you will finish the match a winner! :shock:

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Return to Diet Talk