It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:04 am

Free Newsletter

Is Bread Healthy?

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

Is Bread Healthy?

Postby CrimsonThunder » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:19 pm

I was wondering if bread is healthy. I know wholemeal is better than white but how much?

I know bread is made with butter thats why I was asking. :)

Also is there something I could exchange instead of bread? Pita for example.
- Stevo
CrimsonThunder

Postby Ally » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:49 am

Hi Reckless, there has been much debate over the years about bread/carbs. My personal belief is that the body needs a balanced diet of carbs and protein, not just high carbs or protein.

You are correct in saying that wholemeal is better for you. Try squeezing a piece of white bread in your hand and see what you are left with..it is like a mass of yukky glue!! Rye breads are also very good. Things such as white breads, pasta, white rice (some not all) and potatoes, your body burns more quickly, hence making you hungrier quicker. Wholemeal pita breads are excellent as are any of the wrap breads, tortillas etc. especially if the yeast affects you. Mountain bread is another good one it is very thin and you can get different varieties as well.

As with anything bread in moderation fits well into a healthy eating plan, it is what you put on it that is the cause of the problem! The general rule is that 1 piece of bread = 1 carb serve. however check that it is not the thick slice or just a heavier bread (and the big loaf bread) as this is very deceiving. You can be eating up to 3 carbs serves with 1 slice, depending on its weight!!!

I hope that this hasn't confused you even more!!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:17 am

great info there ally. i never knew brea dwas made with butter though tom, how interesting. i have cut back on my carb intake and it has helped me shed the kilos. i was finding that i was bloated and ill after having bread cereal and pastas. but in saying that i have recently as of this week started to introduce small amounts into my food intake again. so iam just having a piece of toast in the morning, i eat the 9 grain bread though.
kate_turner2000

Postby SarahC » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:17 am

I'm starting to introduce some small amounts of carbs back into my diet too. Not too much though. Been having a slice of toast in the morning which is YUMMM :lol: Previously I was binging on toast during the night time and it was making me pretty ill.. not to mention fat lol. So it's good to have a bit here and there after not having it for so long :wink:

I've been getting dark rye bread, which according to the ingredients listed on the back, does not contain wheat or yeast. I guess some people can be a bit allergic to wheat... and yeast can sometimes be a bit of a problem for us girls :oops: So can't hurt to avoid those things just in case :)
SarahC

Postby slimmindown » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:32 pm

I love my multi grain toast for breakfast with vegemite yum yum.

i substitiuted it for white bread and now dont think I could eat white bread because it would just taste to blah and gluggy 8)
[no excuses, I can do it!
slimmindown

Postby hushpuppy » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:57 pm

sundays are the day i have toast for breakky (usually a shake) i to eat the nine grain bread . the white seems to doughy for me
Jules
[url=http://www..com]Image[blinkiebee/url]
SW 107kg
CW 99.8kg
GW 65kg
hushpuppy

Postby KimE » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:50 pm

I still have bread (brown, grain) regularly along with wholemeal pasta and brown rice, but don't tend to have it with dinner. I agree with Ally sometimes it is what you put on it rather than the bread itself that is the problem along with how much of it you eat.

Other alternatives are starchy vegetables that are an even better source of carbohydrates as they are in their natural state or closer to it depending on how you prepare them I guess. Also legumes are a very good source and have some nice protein in them too.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:28 pm

As with everything, it depends.

Breads that are high in fats and sugars and highly processed (i.e most shop white breads) really aren't worth their 'nutritional' value.

As with all foods, the closer a product is to something that was once growing, the better - i.e reduced pocessed foods. I work at a bakery market stall that sells 100%organic sourdough that is made with no or very little oil (aside from the tin greasing). I usually choose a wholemeal based loaf, usually with grains - my fave is an 8 grain loaf in which 50% of the loaf is grains. These breads are more filling than the glutinous dough of shop breads and have a higher fibre and nutritional content.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby CrimsonThunder » Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:57 am

You are all full of such great knowlege! Thanks alot.

This stuck out to me the most though:

Ally wrote:Try squeezing a piece of white bread in your hand and see what you are left with..it is like a mass of yukky glue!!

Thats right, theres isnt much nutrition in that is there :)
- Stevo
CrimsonThunder

Postby Ally » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:42 am

hehehehe Tom you should have seen my kids faces when I did that to them!!!! I like the sound of the sourdour bread that Butterfly Dawn was talking about. Might have to check that out myself I think.
[/url]
Ally

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:36 pm

just watch the shop 'sourdoughs' they are usually just your usual yeasted bread with a little sourdough starter for flavour.

A true sourdough should be HEAVY (particularly a seeded one)- i.e. you don't need to be worried about it being in a bag with your other shopping and may seriously consider building a small outhouse with a few loaves.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Ally » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:16 am

Thanks for the tips Tegan!! :wink:
[/url]
Ally

Return to Diet Talk