It is currently Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:57 am

Free Newsletter

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Teenage struggle » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:46 am

I'm 17 years old and was nearly down to my goal weight, now I've blown it all and am bak were I started. What I did to get down to my goal weight wasn't really sustainable or healthy.
I have been stuck at the weight I'm at, I want to lose about 10kgs
I don't eat fried food but I work at a bakery and usually eat a fair bit when I'm at work.
I just need motivation and support.
Any tips on how to stop binge eating and healthy habits I can incorporate into my life.
Also I have the fitness pal app to record what I eats but it makes me focus on calories alot and drives me crazy!
I'm in a really bad place in my head with body image and I hate feeling like this.
Teenage struggle

Re: Calories?

Postby brissymum » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:35 pm

I find the Fitness Pal app is great, it helps me to keep within the calorie intake that I should be having to help.

The good thing about it is, whenever I eat something bad and actually have to log it in, it makes me feel guilty and think about putting it in my mouth in the first place, rather than just eating it. I guess it helps you become accountable for what you eat.

I know what you mean though, calorie counting does my head in but once you are use to it you kinda know what foods contain what.

Sorry to hear that you are in a bad place ... Im right there with you at the moment ... thats why i joined up here to help find motivation and kick this weight problem for good!

Good Luck! :)

Postby Teenage struggle » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:08 pm

I'm trying to stick to the basic 1200 calorie intake is that right ?
Teenage struggle

Postby Sharrelle » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:12 pm

Is the 1200 calorie intake including exercise or not including exercise?
Guidelines are for a 17 year old your total calorie intake should be around 2200 calories and then you can deduct your exercise from that.
Because of your age you need to make sure you have enough iron and calcium, just be aware of this.

Not getting enough iron will contribute to fatigue, pale skin and anemia, and reduce your ability to concentrate and fight infections.
Teenagers need a lot of calcium for their bones and teeth. Stronger bones built during adolescence can help reduce the risk of fractures today and brittle bones(osteoporosis) in later years.

This is just some information for you to think about. Don't hesitate to ask us if you have any other questions.

Postby Lowie57 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:02 pm

One thing that is helping me alot, is preparing what i take to work with me and sticking to it through out the day.

I used to work at mcdonalds for over 5 years.. and granted maccas is alot unhealthier than a bakery. the same principle applies i guess.. you work around food, and the convenience of just having it there is very tempting. At the job i am at now, i never used to take lunch, and i would go down to the local take away shop for lunch.. bad idea! i started making my meals the night before, got a visual image in my head of what i would eat for the next day and made sure i would take it to work with me!

Im taking a wild guess and say.. your 17 and living at home with your parents that cook dinner for you? if thats the case.. perhaps ask if they could cook just a little extra and you can put it in a tupperware container and take it with you the next day :)

Take lunch with you, it will make a big difference :)

Return to Diet Talk