It is currently Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:54 am

Free Newsletter

Basa fish fillets, whats the truth behind this species?

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

Basa fish fillets, whats the truth behind this species?

Postby Lowie57 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:45 pm

Hi guys, so today i picked up some basa fillets from the supermarket, this fish is super cheap! only 7ish dollars per kilo, so 2 fillets.. 2 meals for around 3 dollars!

Anyhow, i was looking up if these fillets had bones or not, turns out it doesn't but then i came across a few pages that have warnings about this particular fish, and other pages that are saying its great..

This fish species is mostly raised in Vietnam along the Mekong River.. and i was reading 2 very conflicting articles about this river.. here is some quotes.

This was from a website in the US.
"BASAS or Pangas are teeming with high levels of poisons and bacteria. (industrial effluents, arsenic, and toxic and hazardous by-products of the growing industrial sector, polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), DDT and its metabolites (DDTs), metal contaminants, chlordane-related compounds (CHLs), hexachlorocyclohexane isomers (HCHs), and hexachlorobenzene (HCB) ).

The reason is that the Mekong River is one of the most polluted rivers on the planet and this is where basa/pangas are farmed and industries along the river dump chemicals and industrial waste directly into it. Avoid eating them because they contain high amounts of contamination. Regardless of Reports and recommendations against selling them, supermarkets still sell them, knowing full well that they are contaminated."

Now this quote is from an Australian website

"What Are The Growing Conditions For Basa?

Basa are grown in one of the most suitable environments for fish farming found anywhere in the world. The Mekong River (from which drains much of the Himalayan snow melt) has one of the largest consistent flows of fresh, clean water on the planet. Australian environmental scientists working for the Mekong River Commission, which monitors water quality at over 50 sites, confirm that testing over the past 15 years shows no serious contamination of the river - partly because there is little industry in its catchment, and partly because of its large flow. It is one of the cleanest of the world's large rivers. Claims that the Mekong River is seriously contaminated have been overwhelmingly refuted by those Australian scientists working in the region."

I am really confused on which way to feel about this? anyone else have any insight into this fish and the conditions from which they come from?

Re: Basa fish fillets, whats the truth behind this species?

Postby Rhonda » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:21 pm

I think there was a story on 60 minutes once about how polluted it was, it could have been a different show though it was a long time ago.

Re: Basa fish fillets, whats the truth behind this species?

Postby BecMac259 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:33 pm

super cheap fish, but have a look on youtube at the doc regarding the river they come from. *PUKE*
Gone forever: 2.2kg
1st goal: reach 100kg & be a size 18

Return to Diet Talk