It is currently Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:26 pm

Free Newsletter

Experiences with artificial sweeteners?

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

Experiences with artificial sweeteners?

Postby chelseagirl » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:58 pm

I was always encouraged to stay well away from artificial sweeteners from my mother, and while I acknowledge that her reasons were indeed valid lately I've been drinking the odd diet coke as they're the only drinks available where I work (only on an occasional basis. I'd usually opt for water but long hours sometimes call for a something with a kick!). I've also started taking sugar-free Barocca every now and then. I must ask, does artificial sweeteners affect weight loss? I've heard theories that the body responds the same way as it does to "normal" sugar, but does it cause one of gain weight?
chelseagirl

Re: Experiences with artificial sweeteners?

Postby Blitz » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:55 pm

My feeling about those things is a bit like drug programs...a methadone program still means that you are drug dependent. I think it is better in the long run to be drug free. Yes, it is hard to kick the "habit" but what we want to be is healthy for the rest of our lives. That means establishing healthy practices. Just like AA members shouldn't really hang out at bars drinking non-alcoholic drinks...we who have indulged in the fizzy drink fest ought not to spend time around the cola fridge. The "hard stuff" might tempt us back to the dark side! :lol:

Sugar substitutes have all sorts of things in them that don't bode well for a healthy future - it is best just to stay away from them. You will be surprised how quickly your body will recover from fizzy drink "addiction". I use to drink litres of coke daily - now I can't stand the stuff. If water gets to bland for you, remember there is nothing wrong with flavouring it with a bit of orange juice or lemon juice. Even tea or coffee (in moderation) is preferable. :D

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby chelseagirl » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:59 pm

Thank you so much for the response! For well over a year I went without soft drinks, admittedly I went off soft drinks for over a year, although I'm still slightly concerned about artificial sweetener's and how they relate to weight loss as I've been drinking Barocca (which is high in sodium). Anyhow, I completely agree with what you said! :) Thank you!
chelseagirl

Postby That Guy » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:04 am

I've tried laying off the soda/soft drink entirely...I still do have the occasional one though. You're right blitx...coke just tastes like sugar...it's like there's very little actual cola flavour either - cheaper brands seem to do that better, if one is so inclined.

But yeah, I'd just personally say no to any kind of soft drinks...unless it's one on the odd occasion.
Might be irresponsible advice but I'm not too big on substitution of these kinds - generally speaking I'll say "Ok, if I'm going to eat/drink this, I'm not going to have an inferior version" which more often than not it is.
Diet yoghurt, soft drinks...anything that takes sugar out and puts something else in, not for me.

I don't mind low fat cheeses though, but yeah - they do tend to be a little crappy.

Anyways, my experiences with artificial sweeteners are as follows - it seems to taste like crap. Aspartine is it? something like that. Just has a weird taste to me.
Not sure what it does in terms of your body to be honest.

I do use stevia in tea now, and have my coffee without sugar...you get used to it. Seems alright. Doesn't taste '"fake".
That Guy

Postby Blitz » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:24 am

It may be irresponsible but I'm with you on this one. I say if you are going to do it; then do it - and own it. When my wife and myself go for a coffee, she usually orders a "skinny" and I roll my eyes and order a regular cappuccino. Let's not pretend...if you are having it - have it for real and work it into your life.

Kim
Blitz

Postby Tams » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:46 am

Plus there's a lot of research now to show how bad these modern things for the 'weight -conscious' are.

1. A growing number of people are now fructose malabsorbant. It is posited that this may have increased because of the mucking about of sugars (eg, making high fructose corn syrup -HFCS) and how these things have been put into so many of our foods. So these people are well advised to stay away from all fake sugars, and all fructose based sugars (no honey, agave, stevia, or the mannitol/sorbitol types). And all people should avoid HFCS.

2. Aspartame is linked with a host of health problems. Google for the scariness! People with any chronic illness need to be aware of this one - esp fybromyalgia or pain syndromes.

3. "diet" drinks have been proven to INCREASE your desire for sweet things. They posit that the fake stuff without the calories short changes the calorie load that the body expects from such a taste...it doesn't get the calorie load, so it goes into 'GIVE IT TO ME NOW' mode.

4. When the fashion of 'no fat/low fat' came in (the 90s?), the food industry tried to make things taste creamy without the fat...they started using carageenan (407). Just look at your dairy products carefully, it really is in a lot of things! Unfortunately, also in the 'full fat' icecream, as it gives even more of a smooth taste. Carageenan is currently banned in food in certain European countries. Human clinical trials were about to proceed in America by the Crohns association a year or so back, as carageenan is linked to ulceration of the bowel and bowel cancer...but of course the clinical trials need to get done before govt has the impetus to dictate to the powerful food bodies.

So, as my gastroenterologist advocates, just eat the full fat, full sugar, NATURAL and 'non-mucked around with' thing. We'll all be a lot healthier. We just need to train ourselves that a small amount of it is highly satisfying!
Tams

Postby Blitz » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:56 pm

Well researched Tams. 8)

The bottom line is keep it natural...keep it real. :shock: :lol:

Kim
Blitz

Return to Diet Talk