It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:15 pm

Free Newsletter

Why do people restrict themselves so much?

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

Why do people restrict themselves so much?

Postby AndyJ » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:27 am

Uh the modern diet, basically a vigilance fast.

The question I ask is why? Why do people not enjoy a little food pleasure once and a while?

I have now shed over 53 Kg, and I am darn sexy to boot, right?

Anyway, during that time of weight loss, I would often have a yummy Malteser and Mars bar Slice, just one slice. Or I would have a some lollies out of a packet, around a small handful.

What I have learned for me, it is all about simple mathematics. Calories in is less that calories out. It never really mattered on what type of calories they were. Sure there are ways to lose weight more effectively, this week alone I have lost 2.65kg and it is only Thursday.

Around Christmas, I had loads of food, drink and so on, for about a period of 1 1/2 weeks, I ate probably 2500 Calories a day with ease, Chocolate, BBQ's, Me good old mate Jack Daniels even joined me. I still lost weight! I was burning on a normal day with work 2500 Calories, and exercising of an evening, burning another 1000 Calories (I was 100kg, so 10km burned that much). I was losing around 1kg per week.

So what I learned was, you can lose weight on higher calories, but you have to make sure you burn more through exercise than anything else. And people need to chose which way they want, eat more pleasurable and exercise lots, or lead a lot healthier lifestyle, eat good, exercise daily but never over do it. The latter of cause leading to a healthier you.

Right at this present time I am in a Diet fast, wanting to lose these last 5 or so KG's as quick as I can, Burning 3500 per day but eating 1300. That is 2200 Calories spare per day, 15400 Calories per week is equal to 2kg of weight loss. I will be at my goal in just over 2 weeks.

When I finish, I keep up the same exercise and Calories burned, I have to find 15400 Calories per week to eat. WOW! Does that mean once in a while I will have a few lollies and a slice, yes it may do, but I will be, every time I put something in my mouth make sure i know how many Calories I am eating, what I have eaten all day, and always stay at 2000 per day or a little less. Will be cutting down my exercise to a 5km jog daily.
High : 136 Kg (Oct 2006)
Low : 76.6 Kg (Mar 2007)
Current : 87.15 Kg (13th Aug 2014)
Goals. : 78-79kg Kg
Maximum Allowed: 81 Kg
AndyJ

Re: Why do people restrict themselves so much?

Postby DD Diva » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:46 am

Hey Andy,

Yes everything you say has merit, but alas the problem is that (though mathematically, this theory should) doesn't work as effectively for everyone. That is, the simple 2+2 equation doesn't produce a 4 result for everybody. :oops:

My weight loss has come from a less than conventional way of doing things also, and although I'm stoked at having dropped 46kg since NY day back in 2013 (with relative ease) it's not something that I would recommend to everyone as you have to be super duper disciplined. Which is an irony in itself (when I think about it, especially for me) as I am the least disciplined person you'll every meet!!! :roll:

I am very impressed with what you've achieved, and yes, you look great try to remember that has turned this simple spatchcock into a beautiful peacock is not necessarily going to transform every other rooster or hen in the coup!!! :(
DD Diva

Postby Blitz » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:33 pm

If weight loss was a science...everyone would succeed.
It's more of an art than science.
The cookie cutter approach to life doesn't take into account that individuals require individual responses to their lives.

The cold hard statistic is that only 2% of those who lost a big amount of weight, successfully KEEP IT OFF for two or more years.
That is a horrible failure rate. Indeed it is actually worse than that...those that do regain - regain the weight back faster than they lost it and more besides. Research shows that those who never tried to lose weight at all faired better weight wise than those that lost and regained!

So what's going wrong? I believe that it is because we are focussed on process rather than healthy lifestyle.
It more convenient for us to say if I do this and this for a while then I can continue to live as I have.
This method divorces the person from making any real lasting change in their lives. They don't have to take permanent responsibility.

Working out a healthy lifestyle means facing reality - taking responsibility and changing character (becoming a more authentic person).
Most people would rather have a period of inconvenience than truly change. Change is something that is real uncomfortable for most. And that is why the failure rate is so high. They are unwilling to pay the real price for success - CHANGE.

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby DD Diva » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:48 pm

Exactly!!! You're absolutely right Kim, and as someone whose lost weight and kept it off successfully for some time now I'm sure you'd agree that the change has to start with mindset, first and foremost. Weightloss can and often does come with concentrated effort spanning a period of time but to maintain the loss long term it requires habitual behaviour modification aka permanent lifestyle changes and not just temporary fixes!
DD Diva

Postby Blitz » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:58 pm

Unfortunately we live in a society that prefers temporary fixes.

That is why the craftsman's art is dying. Why buy a beautifully made chair that will last a hundred years than by a cheap chair that you can throw out at the next council roadside collection?

Kim
Blitz

Postby AndyJ » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:08 am

I am all about the maintenance now, have to work out a lifestyle plan as far as food goes, what to eat and so on, and of cause make it Permanent..

I will be calling on proplr from this forums for that assistance.
High : 136 Kg (Oct 2006)
Low : 76.6 Kg (Mar 2007)
Current : 87.15 Kg (13th Aug 2014)
Goals. : 78-79kg Kg
Maximum Allowed: 81 Kg
AndyJ

Postby Blitz » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:08 am

Andy, character is built on the forge of experience.
Sometimes you will feel the heat but remember you will be a better person because of it. 8)

Good days work Andy...this could be the making of you!

Towards that better future! Right? :D

Kim
Blitz

Return to Diet Talk