It is currently Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:48 pm

Free Newsletter

I love my eggs...........what about you?

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

I love my eggs...........what about you?

Postby Fairie » Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:38 am

For many years it was believed that the consumption of eggs should be limited because they contain dietary cholesterol. However, recent studies indicate that the effect of dietary cholesterol on blood cholesterol is much smaller than the effect of saturated fats. In fact, eggs contain high levels of lecithin, which helps lower cholesterol and keeps it soluble so that it does not form plaque in the blood vessels.

Eggs are a nutritious food, providing protein and a variety of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Eggs are packed with high quality protein and varying amounts of 13 essential vitamins and minerals, including vitamins A, B12 and folate. Eggs are the best whole food source of vitamin D. Vitamin D is very important as it aids the absorption of calcium.

Research has also shown that eggs contain lutein, a carotenoid found in the yolks that can help reduce the risk of heart disease. Lutein also reduces the risk of developing cataracts by up to 20%

Over time, eggs may also contribute to high cholesterol levels if they are eaten more than once per day.

Excessive consumption of any food, including eggs is unwise. However, the avoidance of eggs is also undesirable and unnecessary. Enjoy the variety that eggs can provide in your diet and take advantage of the high nutrient content of eggs, plus their low cost, convenience and usefulness in recipes.

Buy organic free range eggs whenever possible. Free range (but not organic) is your second best choice. Choosing organic foods whenever possible is the nearest we can get to eating a pure diet.

To test the freshness of the egg, place the egg in a sink of cold water. If the egg floats then it is passed its expiry date. A fresh egg will sink!

I have eaten eggs for as long as I can remember and my cholesterol has never changed from 4.3 :D

Postby Serena » Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:30 pm

Thanks for that Fairie. It's always good to hear about foods that you are allowed to eat. I might hard boil some eggs to put in salads.

Postby Summer » Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:06 pm

I love eggs, especially in the morning. Since they're high in protein, they normally fill me up and keep me going for a while. Probably my favorite way to eat an egg is an omlet, and surprisingly, if you cook them right (not in a ton of butter), they're really not as bad for you as I always thought they were. It's really what you put in the omlet that's bad...fatty cheese, ham, etc.

Return to Diet Talk