It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:02 pm

Free Newsletter

BOOZE

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

BOOZE

Postby yummymummy » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:39 am

Ive just read somewhere that you have to walk for 14 minutes to work off the calories from 1 glass of wine- and all I can think is its sooo worth it!!
Do you still drink alcohol when trying to lose weight?
I do but only once a week
Jody
Jody

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w3enhEK/]
[/url]
yummymummy

Postby Ally » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:51 am

That is right mate...alcohol is the same as food as long as it is in moderation.....
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby SarahC » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:34 am

:oops: :oops: Yes :oops: :oops:

I am very bad when it comes to drinking. If I'm going out or having visitors to my place, I might drink up to six glasses of wine in a session. I also might have a few drinks after a stressful situation like a job interview for example. I used to drink at home by myself a lot, but I've managed to cut that waaaay back now, thank goodness.

The calories in the alcohol aren't really the main problem because you can excercise or cut back on food intake to make up for it. But I find that when I drink that I have a lot less control over what I eat... I just put anything in my mouth that I like when I'm under the influence (which doesn't even have to be a whole lot of alcohol, just a couple of glasses could start this off!). And this would extend to the next morning as well... I eat like there's no tomorrow when I have a killer hangover. New year's day (ie Monday!) would be a perfect example of this!!!

I also have read somewhere that alcohol, because it is a depressant, can slow down the metabolism as well. Don't know if this is true or not... someone may be able to correct me?

I guess one glass here and there would not hurt though, and can be good for relaxing and unwinding. As long as you can stop at just one or two :wink:
SarahC

Postby slimmindown » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:58 am

drinking too much alcohol can also really dehydrate you, and we all know how important drinking water and staying hydrated is.

But life in my book is not to go to one extreme or the other, a few glasses of whatever on special occasions is what can make a good night more relaxing. top up with water in between and its about the moderation thing,as Ally pointed out for sure 8)

I know I look forward to it more now because it is something I reserve for that special nignt out or special occasions 8)

except xmas eve where I forgot i dont drink as much any more and had far to many glasses ,thats life though :lol:And i had a great night. :D
[no excuses, I can do it!
slimmindown

Postby Groovychic » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:27 am

Alcohol is fine as long as it is in moderation. Even 1 glass a night won't hurt. I drink only when I have friends over or are going out. Rarely will I have a drink at home when it is just me and Frank. I don't drink wine because the preservatives drive my sinus mad!!! So I drink spirits with mixers, ie cc and dry. But the advantage of this is that I always have it in a large glass filled with ice. Makes my drink last a lot longer so I don't end up drinking as much, and hydrates me at the same time. Plus I will always have at least 1 glass of water through the night of drinking. And I always skull a glass of water before I start to drink. Plus now that I am older I tend to limit it to 4 or 5 drinks absolute tops. I had 1 can of vodka and lemon/lime for new years eve!!! Made it last near on 2 hours with the ice as well!!! I had to drive so I couldn't drink more than that or else I may have been over the limit. Cant lose my licence cos I live out of town and what example would that set the kids!!! Plus I had the kids with me so I didnt want to put them or anyone else at risk. The key to weight loss and remaining at a healthy weight is moderation. You can eat and drink anything you want, as long as it's in moderation and you exercise regularly. Its just so hard to keep it at a moderate level!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSt8KHJ/]
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:56 pm

Image im not a drinker. the last time i drank was last april for my birthday and i had one kahlua and milk :P but i know some programmes for weightloss you are allowed to substitute your fruit for the day if you choose to have a drink.

eg: 2 serves of fruit= 2 standard drinks
kate_turner2000

Postby Ally » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:59 pm

I am not a big drinker either, but on the odd occasion I may have 3-4 drinks I always have 3 glasses of water between each drink as that way I know that I am going to stay hydrated!! The only problem is you then pee a lot!! :?
[/url]
Ally

Postby The Blimp! » Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:12 pm

I limit my drinking to social occasions, which have been many over the last few weeks. There are also some drinks that don't have as much calories as others (I know gin is one of these), but you have to watch your mixers, and someone recently told me that red wine has less calories than white - not sure if that is true?
The Blimp!

Postby milo » Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:58 pm

Oh no and I am having my friend over for drinks on saturday night :oops:
Mel :)

WEEK 1 - 86.5 kg
WEEK 2 - 84.9kg
milo

Postby Lolly » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:57 am

OMG I am sooooo worried

We are having a small work function AT TH PUB this arvo and because everyone will be drinking I just *know* I will have some too :oops:

I have saved some calories from yesterday to use and haven't eaten any of my exercise points at all this week so I figure it may not be as bad as I expect.....

I might walk from work to the pub - which is about 30 mins walk so that will cover 2 of the drinks I know I am gonna end up having *sigh*
Every day I am getting thinner and thinner.....

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wOMybmc/]
[/url]
Lolly

Postby Ally » Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:59 am

Make sure you drink plenty of water in between Lolly that way you won't feel like the alcohol so much too!
[/url]
Ally

Postby SarahC » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:41 am

Good luck this afternoon Lolly. Definitely make sure you drink heaps of water... both to stay hydrated and to space out the alcoholic drinks. Have in mind before you go how many drinks you are going to have, and see if you can stick to it (which is hard when peer pressure is involved!). If you are very worried, could you volunteer to be a designated driver? At least you have some calories up your sleeve too :wink:
SarahC

Return to Diet Talk