It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:41 pm

Free Newsletter

Too many carbs, Too little protein??

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

Too many carbs, Too little protein??

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:16 am

Hi Guys!

Well, yesterday I decided to put my day's eating into the food tracker on CalorieKing for the first time. I usually just put it on a spreadsheet because it's soooo much easier!!!! I can't be bothered entering every little thing onto Calorie King!! But I was curious about my protein/carb intake, so I sat down and did it.

WELL! I was over my carbs by about 10g for the day, and UNDER my protein by, well, a LOT!

So I'm just trying to figure out more ways to add more protein to my diet. Lowish-kilojoule ways, I mean!

Does anyone have a good website that tells which veges and fruits are high in carbs or anything like that? I mean, I'm still losing weight, but I'm just a bit concerned about how little protein I seem to be getting.

ALTHOUGH, the Calorie King recommendation for protein for me is 112g. 112g!!!!! I thought it was like 45g for the average woman my age (20 yrs old)?!?! Does anyone else find this a little excessive!? Yesterday I had 46g of protein, which means I'm right on target if I were to go by the 45g.

Argh, it's just all so confusing!! Help, anyone!?!?

Em
zeedeveelgirl

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:29 am

sounds all too confusing to me em! hopefully someone can help you out- im not into the counting!
kate_turner2000

Postby Lolly » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:07 pm

I don't worry too much about what calorie king says regarding what grams of what I eat - as long as I am within my calories for the day I am not too fussed.......

Just went and looked - 74% of the calories I have eaten today have been from carbs lol
Every day I am getting thinner and thinner.....

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wOMybmc/]
[/url]
Lolly

Postby Dee » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:16 pm

I dunno about how much you should be eating of everything, but I do know that protein is supposed to assist with muscle development and thus increase metabolism speed... hence the reason there are so many high protein diets out there...

If you're looking for low kj ways to increase proteing try things like fish, chicken breast, etc. I think you can even get milk with added protein if it's a problem, but I'd suggest a second opinion before you start freaking out.

Dee
[url=http://www.phenforum.com/ticker/]
[/url]
Dee

Postby Dee » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:21 pm

Just did a bit of a web search on this, and got this response...

The Australian Recommended Dietary Intake for protein is 55 g per day for adults. However, few Australian adults eat such a small quantity. Most men eat about twice this amount. Protein requirements are increased by vigorous physical activity. The international expert, Prof Peter Lemon, recommends 1.2 - 1.4 g protein per kg body weight per day for individuals regularly active in endurance exercise and 1.6 - 1.7 g protein/kg/day for individuals who regularly strength train.

This means, for example, that a 75 kg man would need up to 127 g of protein per day if he is undertaking regular resistance training for strength. This is a little more than is commonly eaten by the average Australian male, however, the extra food that this man would need to eat (to replace the extra energy used up by doing the training) will probably provide him with the required additional protein. This requires him to make sure that he includes some protein-rich foods in his diet each day. Foods that are moderately rich in protein include cereal foods (bread, rice, pasta, breakfast cereals), and potatoes. Meat, fish, eggs, milk and milk products are very rich sources of protein.

Many years ago, nutritionists spoke of 'first class' and 'second class' protein. The first class protein was supposed to be supplied by eggs, meat and fish, while second class protein was provided by foods of plant origin. This concept is no longer current. The 8 amino acids you need can be supplied by any diet commonly encountered in Australia - omnivorous (all foods), lacto-vegetarian (vegetarian plus milk products), lacto-ovo-vegetarian (vegetarian plus milk products and eggs) or, with carefully-chosen combinations of plant foods, vegan (no foods of animal origin). It is still true, however that eggs are the best food source of high quality protein for people. Eating two or three eggs a week is certainly compatible with good health and fitness.

Hope it helps...
[url=http://www.phenforum.com/ticker/]
[/url]
Dee

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:55 pm

Ahhhh so that's why Calorie King is telling me I need so much protein.
Damnit!!!!
I'm up to 55g for today but I need double that. How the HELL do I get 55g more protein when it's 10 past 8 at night!!! Pft, ridiculous!!!

Thanks heaps for that Dee, appreciate it!!! :)
Em
zeedeveelgirl

Postby evilwomaniamshe » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:23 am

To hike up your protein try eating egg whites,
peanut butter on celery then toss on a few raisins on top of the peanut butter (ants on a log, is what I call them, they are yummy).
tuna,
salmon,
cottage cheese fat free,
fat free yogurt
almonds (plain almonds, I am not a nut fan at all, but I am eating these religiously now & they are yummy, good crunch factor, I toss some into a ff yogurt for a snack.
lentils I toss in homemade soup

Hope these ideas help some....
evilwomaniamshe
evilwomaniamshe

Postby KimE » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:03 am

:lol: ants on a log....I love it!

I agree with evilwoman all of those things will help. I have mentioned the peanut butter on celery before and it is quite nice, haven't tried the raisins though.

OK I'm gonna go on a bit here....

My ideal macronutrient break up is 55% carbs, 15% fat, 30% protein and I am pretty close during the week unless I have something naughty as most 'naughty' things are high in fat. I am happy for the carbs to go up to 60 even 65 with a drop in the protein as my body works well with high carbs but I am keen on my fat intake staying at least under 20 preferrably 15 and those are mostly come from good fats. Nuts, seeds, fish that sort of thing. At the weekends the fat is usually higher as I relax a bit then.

When I say 'ideal' this is not based on recommended anything. It is what I have worked out for me based on info I have read. I found for weightloss the 55, 15, 30 mix worked nicely, I stick to it now just with a higher overall calorie intake as I want to maintain not lose anymore. Next time you are looking at my food diary Em take into consideration that I eat on average 100g of protein per day. The protein powder I use adds about 15 grams so as you can see all the rest is from other sources. I drink 1 1/2 cups of skinny milk most days as well as l/f cottage cheese and fat free yoghurt (Jalna's stuff is tasty). I have meat/fish twice a day and when you think 100g of chicken breast meat has 28.5 grams right there you are on your way. Many days I also have red kidney beans, four bean mix, green beans or lentils all have protein as does the heavy grain breads like pumpkin seed and soy and linseed bread.

Example Breakfast:

1 cup of skinny milk
2 slices of soy and linseed bread
1 130g can of baked beans

406 cals
55.3g carbs 57%
6.6g fat 15%
28.2g protein 28%

You also get:
345mg of calcium (1/3 of recommended daily)
9.8g fibre (approx 40% of recommended daily)

I occasionally have protein bars but wouldn't even average one per week as I really do prefer to get it from wholefoods.

It took a while to get to this as some of the info was saying less carbs and I just don't want to do that as my body doesn't have a problem with them, I exercise regularly so it is my energy food and that's how I think of it. Calorieking is fantastic because it gives you all the breakdown if you are interested in that sort of thing and I definitely am.

This suits me but does not necessarily suit the next person so I am not saying do this or do that. You will still need to find what works for you.

Ok I will shut up now.
:D
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:44 am

Thanks for all those suggestions, evilwoman!! Oooh I remember ants on a log! I used to absolutely LOVE it as a kid, now I want it :D :D Will have to make it sometime for sure!!

Far out Kim, that was so useful to me!!! Much more useful than "You need 55g of this and 10g of this etc etc". I think I've pretty much got my breakdown sorted, today my breakdown is 14% Fat, 27% Protein and 59% Carbs! And I'll probably add one more thing to it which will only slightly increase each!! Yahoo!
I totally agree about the not needing to cut down on carbs thing, my body doesn't have a problem with them either and I agree with you about really needing them because of the amount of exercise I do. Carbs are so important for fuel, so I refuse to cut down!! It's not like I'm having 80% Carbs anyway!!!
zeedeveelgirl

Postby KimE » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:33 pm

Glad to be of help Em. Sometimes with protein you can get a good amount by layering the proteins rather than just going for a lump of meat to get it all. Pulses/legumes with grains with l/f dairy that sort of thing.

Have fun and happy eating. :D
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:39 pm

Thanks Kim - great tip!!!

PS - It's always happy eating for me!!! :twisted: :wink:
zeedeveelgirl

Postby KimE » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:49 pm

LOL me too...I have even learnt to love the healthy food too. However, tonight is chocolate night :twisted:
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:23 pm

Oooh delish :D Have fun :D Mmm chocolate, after not craving it for about 3 weeks straight I am finally craving it... but after my weighin on Monday!!!
zeedeveelgirl

Postby zoeh » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:56 pm

Where on calorieking can I work out my protein/nutritional requirements?

I think I am a bit lost..
zoeh

Postby KimE » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:40 pm

Zoeh Once in the diary page where you add all your bits and pieces you can choose 'Users' from the top tool bar and then choose 'Configure Targets'. This is if you want to set your own ratios.

If you want calorieking to tell you the ratios then from the diary page choose 'Users' from the top tool bar and then choose 'Personal Profile'. Run through the profile as if you are starting anew and when you get to the Targets page choose calorieking and it will suggest ratios for you.

Hope this helps.
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Next

Return to Diet Talk