It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:46 am

Free Newsletter

Blackmores Weight-Loss Accelerate

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

Blackmores Weight-Loss Accelerate

Postby zoeh » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:31 am

Has anyone used Blackmores Weight-Loss Accelerate? and if so, what do you think/have you heard about it? Any horror stories, any reason to keep away?

This is what it says on their website:

What does it do?
When combined with a calorie-controlled diet and exercise programme, HCA has been shown in an eight-week clinical trial to:

reduce fat stores
enhance fat oxidation (burning)
reduce appetite and amount of food eaten at meal times
reduce body mass index
assist in maintaining normal cholesterol levels
increase serotonin levels, which helps with the regulation of mood and appetite
How does it work?
HCA increases levels of serotonin, which helps with the regulation of appetite. Clinical trials showed that the amount of food eaten at meal times was reduced. If not utilized for energy, excess carbohydrates are converted into fat and stored in the body. It is not yet fully understood, but it is thought that HCA also works by inhibiting the enzymes that convert carbohydrates into fat.

How is it different to competitor products?
Unlike many competitor weight-loss products, it is designed to assist weight loss without stimulating the central nervous system with caffeine or guarana. The HCA found in Blackmores Weight-Loss Accelerateâ„¢ is highly soluble, helping to make it readily available to be used by the body.

Contraindications and Cautions
Not recommended for persons with severe heart or kidney disease (due to potassium content).

Side effects
None clinically significant noted in the literature.
zoeh

Postby SarahC » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:38 am

Hi Zoeh! I used to take HCA, but it was in a gel form (yum!) rather than a tablet. I can say that it definitely helps with the hunger side of things. I took it say an hour before my lunch, ate only a tiny lunch, and was not hungry again until say 4-5pm. Apon saying that, when the hunger returned, boy did it return with a vengance! I found if I took another one before dinner, that helped me somewhat at night, but if I didn't then I just wouldn't stop eating until bed time :shock: I came to the conclusion that, because I eat for reasons other than physical hunger, that hunger suppressants weren't really the go for me.

If you are someone that only eats because they are hungry, then HCA is a great help, because it also has other properties such as increasing seratonin in the brain, which elevates your mood, making you less likely to overindulge. It also interferes with the chemical reactions in the body that cause you to store fat... I did know all this, but my mind just blanked out (it's that time of the day :oops: ).

It has no caffeine in it as well, which has to be a good thing :)

The HCA that I took was a patent-pending form of HCA called Super Citrimax. It's still the same chemical, just slightly altered so it's more readily used in the body. The Blackmores HCA should have similar properties I would imagine :wink:

I did a bit of research on this a while back so I can dig up some resources if need be lol.
SarahC

Postby zoeh » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:53 am

do you know if it is bad to take over long periods of time or if you have to take a break, how long is a good enough break?

I heard that you can only take them for 3 months at a time, so what happens during the break and how long do you break for, and can you continually have a break and go back on them or is that bad for you?

I am looking for something to sort of kick start my weight loss, ive been going to the gym every day for the last three weeks except for about 3 days (incl new years etc) and i havent lost anything and i have been counting my calories over the past 2 of those weeks. i did break it on two days and over indulged but still i would expect to see some results in weight...

however i have noticed my body becoming more toned which is nice.
zoeh

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:24 pm

I haven't tried that one but I have tried the Metabolism Advantage, which I found did absolutely nothing for me. I was hooked on trying different types of vitamins like that for a while.. the Nature's Own Sucro-Balance is good for sugar cravings, doesn't do much for suppressing appetite though.

I'd love it if they all worked, but unfortunately I don't think most of them do!!! Or they work for a bit and as Sarah said, your appetite comes back with a vengance!!
zeedeveelgirl

Postby SarahC » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:54 pm

Sometimes it does take a while to start seeing results. For me I know it takes at least a month of watching my diet and excercise before I see any results on the scales (Note it also takes a month of pigging out and not excercising to see the opposite result!). Sounds great what you are doing with the excercise and calorie counting... don't give up, the scales will start moving for you soon I am sure! And at least you are feeling healthier in yourself which is great :D

As for the HCA I haven't heard anything regarding taking a break from it. It is a natural substance so it should be fine. Maybe talk to the pharmacist about it if you're worried?
SarahC

Postby Lolly » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:29 pm

Please be careful when taking this sort of stuff if you are on anti-depressants as well - they can cause serious side effects :shock:
Every day I am getting thinner and thinner.....

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wOMybmc/]
[/url]
Lolly

Postby KimE » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:59 pm

See if the pharmacist at the chemist where it is sold has more information. But try to get around any selling spiel they might have and get to the nitty gritty.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby electrongirl » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:29 am

I have been taking these for about 2 weeks now and I really think they are helping. I "feel" more motivated and don't feel as hungry.

I lost 1.1kg the first week I was on them but I was also very good with my eating so I don't know if it helped but I sure like the way I feel when I take them.

I havn't noticed any bad side affects. My husband says I seem bubblier lately and I think so too!

I have low levels of serotonin anyway so this is probably a good thing for me!
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby KimE » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:42 pm

Thanks for the update Nikki, that is interesting to read.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Return to Diet Talk