It is currently Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:53 am

Free Newsletter

Veggie ideas or tomato-less ideas??

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

Veggie ideas or tomato-less ideas??

Postby BubblyMac » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:46 pm

Hello :D

I was hoping you guys might be able to help, I started having a tomato each day then broke out in a big rash from eating too much. (eating too much chocolate now seems to have that effect on me too -- not that I have to worry about that now)

But the thing is, I love tomatoes, especiallly in a salad. But 'cause i'm fussy with my foods, not liking a huge selection of foods, i'm limited to what my salads are and without tomatoes, are boring!

So i've gone to having veggies for lunch and for dinner. Which is ok but I know i'm going to get sick of and want a change. May even go off my diet.

So i'm wondering if anyone knows of any good tomato-less ideas for lunches (taking into account i'm not a fan of tuna/salmon).

OR i'm looking for lots of different veggie ideas for lunches too? One lady I work with mentioned having stuffed mushrooms, which I thought was fantastic idea and i'm having that for lunch but just running out of ideas.

So if anyone has any great ideas or foods they have tried, PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

I can only now have tomatoes about once or twice a week, that's it.

Larrissa :D :)
(I quickly browsed the recipe room and found a couple but just seeing if anyone had any other ideas)

Postby mary_in_adelaide » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:31 am

How about...a nice green salad without tomato? Lettuce (different kinds), carrots, capsicum (use different coloured ones), cucumber...maybe some dill pickle as well. If you want to add some protein to it and you don't like tuna you could add diced turkey or low fat ham or a hard boiled egg. Or you could throw in a few olives or some low fat cheese.

Or i quite often have vegetable soups for lunch...lots of them don't have tomatoes

You could try the Sanitarium website for inspiration...they have lots of good ideas for vegetarian food and they've got a category for lunches and one for lunchbox... lots of good ideas for wraps and muffins and salads and other delicious things. Their pumpkin and passionfruit scones might sound strange but they are great
Cheers, Mary

If I could find a ticker for measurements it would say I'm on the way from a waist measurement of 134cm to one of 70cm (currently at 129cm)

Postby BubblyMac » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:29 am

Hey thanks Mary!! :D

I will check out the website today to get some more ideas.

The pumpkin and passionfruit scones do actually sound nice.

Thanks you! :) :D

Larrissa :)

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:17 am

what about mini quiches?

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:25 pm

How about some nice rye bread with philadelphia cream cheese and low fat ham/turkey/chicken on top

Postby tiffanyp » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:05 pm

why not do a mountain bread roll up with grated carrot, cucumber, shredded lettuce and shredded red onion mixed in with either low fat grated cheese and/or a hard boiled egg!!
Very yummy combination!!!
:lol: :lol:

Postby Simmy » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:08 pm

hmm.. cous cous salads are always nice and you can add whatever you like - capsicum, cucumber, fresh herbs. You can cook the cous cous in chicken stock if you want more flavour and experiement with seasonings. It goes really well with left over grilled chicken too! Another favourite of mine is thai beef salad (just google for a recipe and you will find lots). I am a big fan of all those yummy gourmet salads and have been searching for a recipe book with MODERN salad recipes, let me know if anyone has come across one. I saw a Woman's Day one (which is usually pretty good) but it seemed to be filled with 'old fashioned' salads like nicoise and so on.

Return to Diet Talk