It is currently Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:31 am

Free Newsletter

Weighing food

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

Weighing food

Postby SarahC » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:49 am

This is a bit of a silly topic, but just thought I'd mention this for anyone who weighs their food to work out calories etc. Sometimes the weight stated on the packet is not the actual weight of the food! For example, I buy a particular brand of tofu. It says on the packet 250g. I have four packets in the fridge and, just for fun, thought to weigh them. The weights ranged from 270g up to 350g :shock: Wow, 100g difference in one of them! (they are packed in thin plastic with about a drop of liquid, which doesn't weigh that much) I've also had protien bars that are supposedly 100g, but actually weigh as much as 115g.

Sorry, after all that, the point is that the weight (and therefore the calories etc) stated on packets is the minimum only. It won't make a huge difference, but sometimes it pays to double check on the kitchen scales :wink:

Postby Ally » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:27 am

:shock: makes you wonder how the manufacturers get away with it! As you said Sarah, it might not be a big difference, but who knows it could be what pushes your weight up at the end of the week, if you are relying on something to be a certain weight/cals and it is higher!!

Thanks for that! :wink:

Return to Diet Talk