It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:48 pm

Free Newsletter

food labels

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

food labels

Postby Iwillbefit » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:18 pm

Hi everyone,

How do you correctly read food labels? If its low fat what percentage should it be? I find that so many foods that are low fat make up the numbers in carbohydrates...? So what carbohydrate factor should I be looking at?
I cracked the 90kg mark for the first time in two years, I'm happy!!
Iwillbefit

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:36 pm

for me i dont eat carbs unless theyre 5g or less to a 100g serve- if that makes sense
kate_turner2000

Postby Ally » Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:05 pm

that depends if you are on a low carb diet or not iwillbefit. I go more for the just the energy value of the product and the sugar content in the carbs....if it is more than 15g per 100g in the sugar department I leave it alone. I guess it depends on what type of eating plan you are on and now I have probably just confused you all the more!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby SarahC » Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:13 pm

I like foods that are less than 5% carbs and less than say 10% fat. It is true though that the low fat foods are also high carb - very annoying that! But yeah it depends what kind of plan you are on as to what percentages you would look out for :)

Oh and with the carbs I also check how much of that is sugar. Sugar sucks - the complex carbs are better!
SarahC

Postby Jisgone » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:11 pm

i go for cal and kj content, but that makes it easier for me as i count calories
Jisgone

Postby Chelle » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:39 pm

For me I look at FAT... CAL.... KJ I have a calorie & fat counter book that you can get from the chemist by Allen Borushek's & it is the best book to buy!! You can look at anything & everything. I take it with me anywhere as it fits into me hand bag so it is always with me to help me make the right choices of food & helps me to lose weight :D

TIP: To work out calories if they are not on a nutritional
information package:

1 Calorie = 4.18 Kilojoules

I dont know if it true or not but if you cut out carbs completly you do lose alot of weight but I heard that you can put the weight straight back on if not more weight as soon as you start to eat them again :( :x
Chelle

Postby SarahC » Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:48 am

Hi Chelle, welcome :D Yes, from my experience, I'd say that's fairly true. But the weight losses and gains with the carbs are entirely fluid. For example, this week I ate a big carb meal on Tuesday and my weight shot up by 2kg :shock: It has taken until this morning (Saturday) to come back down... and it's now less than it started with. All fluid :x An annoying side-effect of the low-carb diet!!
SarahC

Return to Diet Talk