It is currently Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:40 pm

Free Newsletter

Hot food vs cold food

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

Hot food vs cold food

Postby ragazzo grasso » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:19 pm

I have a problem....apart from having to turn sideways to get through doorways.....and going bald...... :oops:

I have always had hot food.....growing up, meat and 3 veg....salads were unheard of....and to an extent, still are.

I usually have a wholemeal wrap for lunch, with lettuce, tomato, cheese, lite ham and mustard...they're yummy....but I still put them in the toastie press thingamajobbit....

Question: Is doing this, i.e heating up the food....more unhealthy? Any ideas why I would prefer hot food apart from conditioning throughout my life?

one day....clothes off the rack for me
ragazzo grasso

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:35 pm

dont think it will hurt you ragazzo- its still the same thing going in your mouth whether you toast it or not. i have read a few times that hot food/warm food fills you up more so than cold food. theres also controversary over whether cold cold water is better for you or room temp water.

Postby Lolly » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:38 pm

same calories whether it is hot or cold there mate so I don't think it is doing any harm at all.

I loooooooooooove salads - so much easier to feed the family in record time than cooking vegies - which I hate to do. Working fulltime puts a dampner on special sorts of dinners during the week. Tonight we had steak sangas because I had enough calories left and the kids wanted something quick and easy.
Every day I am getting thinner and thinner.....

Postby Justjudy » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:53 pm

I have to agree with Kate hot food does seem to fill you up more than cold food - though it may just be a psychological thing. I can't see that heating something would change the energy value of it, unless you added oil, butter etc when you were actually heating it. I say go with the hot if that's what you like! 8)
Reach for the moon, at least you'll land among the stars.

Postby Jisgone » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:27 pm

i think nutrition wise its better to eat cold, they always tell us to have veges al dente for this reason, but i think calories wise its the same

Postby Ally » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:53 am

As long as you are only toasting it "as is" mate and not adding any fats or oils to the outside, it is fine. It would just be like a kebab (but much healthier than the shop bought ones!!). So toast away!!

Postby Chelle » Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:48 pm

I think if toasting your food is your preferance then it is fine to eat it that way the calorie would be the same as long as your are not adding extra oils when toasting!!!

Return to Diet Talk