It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:13 am

Free Newsletter

Organic

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

Organic

Postby sharmie » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:20 pm

Is there anyone out there who trys to buy organic foods when they can or knows more about them? I have started to turn into a bit of a greenie over the past few weeks, and was wondering what other people thought about the hype around organic foods. I try to buy Organic free range eggs when i can because i think it is disgusting they way that some egg farmers treat their hens. No animal shoudl be kept in a cage where they cannont stretch their wings out or even turn around. Organic foods are more often than not much more expensive than their chemically loaded counterparts but is the price difference worth it? I would love to hear from anyone who has any personal experience in the organic world! :P

sharmie :wink:
Sharmie :wink:

sharmie

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:22 pm

hi sharmie you are right, it is more expensive however i find it tastes better do you?
kate_turner2000

Postby sharmie » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:29 pm

organic coffee, chocolate and eggs definitally taste better then their non organic counterparts. especially chocolate, and it is easier to eat less of the organic chocolate because it come in smaller blocks and it cost a whole lot more! I haven't tried any organic vegies yet, but i have heard and read in a lot of magazines and such they they taste a whole lot better, that they contain higher concentrations of vitamins. This is all related of course to the fact that unlike mass grown vege etc they aren't treated with synthetic chemicals or hormones and such to make them grow bigger and fater and in higher numbers. I am pretty sure the fact that the yeild is so much lower is why it costs so much, maybe if more people bought organic the products would come down in price because more farmers would convert?
Sharmie :wink:

sharmie

Postby Dee » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:28 pm

I do find that the vegies have a stronger taste and I try to use organics when I make vegie soup, 'cos it tastes so good - but I really can't justify the extra expense for most of the time.
I just wish I could be bothered growing my own!

Dee
[url=http://www.phenforum.com/ticker/]
[/url]
Dee

Postby bluebox451 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:48 am

Havent tried it but I've heard organic chicken tastes 100 times better than normal chicken.
Someone gave me some tomatoes the other day from their garden and they were lovely and tasty. The ones from the shops have no taste sometimes!
I tried the Green & Blacks organic milk chocolate a couple weeks ago and that was DIVINE! :P :P
bluebox451

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:36 pm

Mmm yes Green & Black's Organic chocolate is lovely, Liz! I've got the Dark Chocolate with Orange & Spices.. a mates boyfriend at the time gave it to her and she hates orange flavoured choccy so she gave it to me :D WOOHOO!! Expensive stuff, that!
zeedeveelgirl

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:57 pm

oh dont let kim hear that you have orange flavoured chocolate- its her favourite as well :)

i dun like it :(
kate_turner2000

Postby Fairie » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:19 pm

We have friends that own a Fruit & Veg shop and I get a lot of my vegies from them if I haven't got any in the garden as I know the standard they have. I will not by from the supermarket though (Yuck). I feel Organic is just to expencive.
-Fay-

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSDGUdx/]
[/url]
Fairie

Postby Chelle » Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:15 am

I know a litle bit about it but I haven't really gone out of my way to buy it as much because of the price..
I know to have an organic licence the soil must not be touched for i think by memory 5 years with out any pestisides only water once the 5 years are up the soil goes through testing to make sure there are no nasty chemicals still in the ground. with the all clear when ther are allowed to grow the product in the natural enviroment. With only water to help the vegitation grow no pestiside. With live stock eg: chicken there are free range & the only difference is the feed that they give them is an organic feed with natural ingredients only. But I have tried organic chicken & it does taste a lot better than the chooks that you buy from the shops.
Chelle

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:42 pm

My mum runs a wholefood shop that sells organic produce. It can be a little more expensive, but if you shop around not much more. Many people say it tastes better - this is probably IMHO due to that fact that you generally can only get them in season because they aren't engineered and prodded with chemicals to extend the growing season. This can be a bit of a bugger at certain times of the year.

However, you must be prepared to find bugs in your vegies and spots on your apples. Organic pest control practices are pretty well developed this days so it's not too bad, but organic means organic - this is what naturally happens

I have to say that if you are a meat eater, organic and free range tastes far better - a happy animal is a yummy animal and organic farmers tend to also be more on the free range end of farming.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby louise677 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:16 pm

i buy my organic fruit and veg through a co-op. it ends up costing me less than if I were to buy conventional produce at the shop!
organic fruit and veg is better, and great for 'dieting' as it's more nutritionally dense than conventional. and YUM! :D
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wsjxPlP/]
[/url]
louise677

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:57 am

aw i wish i lived near the co op
kate_turner2000

Postby MaryT » Fri May 04, 2007 12:11 am

YUM! I have a local co-op too and often buy organic fruits and vegies from there. I helped run it at one stage, and I find the food does taste better. Maybe it's just in my mind!

Regarding organic chocolate.. mm it is to die for!
MaryT

Return to Diet Talk