It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:53 am

Free Newsletter

McDonalds heart foundation Tick of Aproval

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Lolly » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:31 am

I had one of those lean beef burgers once - it was crap - they have "specialty" lettuce on it that is horrible :roll:

I really like the thia chicken deli choices roll - that is what I am having for dinner tonight since I can't cook lol
Every day I am getting thinner and thinner.....

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wOMybmc/]
[/url]
Lolly

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:31 am

those deli rolls have more cals in them then double the lean beef or double the nuggets! i hate that specialty lettuce too lolly *GAGS*
kate_turner2000

Postby sharmie » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:25 am

I work for Maccas (in the kitchen none the less) and am fully aware of how hard it was for us to get the heart tick in the first place. A lot of the recipes for things such as the salad dressings and dipping sauces, chicken nuggets etc had to be changed for the meals to be able to get heart tick approval. We will be audited by the heart tick foundation, which means everyonce in a while someone from the foundation will come into the store and buy one of the meals, then they give it to the store manager to keep in the fridge untill someone from the lab can come and pick it up, they then will take it and test it to make sure that it meets the strict requirements that the heart tick foundation demands. Maccas has a three month period i think it is to prove that they can get it right, if they don't the heart tick will be taken away, if not it will stay, but we will continue to be audited.

Kate, the lean beef burger is made on a reg bun which is toasted, its got onions, big'n'tasty sauce, tatsoi lettuce, tomato and light cheese, then of course the lean patty, which believe it or not is steamed in the microwave.

Dee, the meals are so expensive as the markdown from the prices of buying the items separately is only 10 or 15 %. Also, the salads shouldn't be soggy, if they are it means that the store you go to is dodgy and don't make up new ones each morning, which is what you are suppose to do.
Sharmie :wink:

sharmie

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:32 am

wow thanks sharmie. as long as it doesnt have mayo id give it a try! i believe that the meat is microwaved. i have seen at some fast food places that whole burgers including the bun goes in to the microwave yum yum *gag*
kate_turner2000

Postby sharmie » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:40 am

lol, that is just wrong. Glad to be of help, anything else anyone wanted to know about how things are made out the back i would be more than happy to oblige. :D

sharmie

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:45 am

how come the cooks dont know how to crack eggs? there are always bits of shell in the sausage and egg mcmuffins? lol. do they get training on how to crack eggs?
kate_turner2000

Postby sharmie » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:00 pm

:lol: , not directly, presonally i make damn good eggs all of my managers have said so, no shell nicely cooked, look good. if shell gets in the egg there is a little spatula you are spose to get it out with. shell in the eggs just means that the cooks at the maccas you go to are lazy!

sharmie

Postby Simmy » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:44 pm

MMM bacon and egg muffins.. yum.. in all my time of eating them I have never had a bit of shell in it. I think that would turn me off. I too love the chicken tandori roll.
Simmy

Postby Sassygirl » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:09 pm

mmmmm chicken tandori roll (drooling at this point!)
2008 - my year to be great!!

Sassygirl

Postby Dee » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:51 pm

Hey Sharmie, are youplanning on moving down to Melbourne any time soon - trust me the Maccas' around here could use you!

Unfortunately I'm yet to get a salad from Maccas that was worth eating - on three seperate occasions I've actually taken back salads because of brown soggy lettuce, thus making me suspect that my local stores aren't as strict on the guidelines as perhaps others are. It's a shame, cos it really puts you off what otherwise would be a great option. Having said that - even if you prepare a salad in the morning it's not at it's best by two in the afternoon which is usually when I'm eating. I like my lettuce fresh cold and crisp - which might be a bit much to ask from a fast food chain. LOL

Dee
[url=http://www.phenforum.com/ticker/]
[/url]
Dee

Postby Ally » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:20 pm

mmm makes me wonder if it is not just a local problem Dee....we have soggy brown lettuce salads up here too that even a caterpillar would turn up its nose!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby sharmie » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:04 pm

Dee, if you do get a salad that is all soggy and gross it is your right as a customer to ask for a fresh one, at the store that i work at the managers would not let us sell a salad that they wouldn't want to eat themselves, heck i wouldn't put up any burger for a customer that i wouldn't want to eat myself (unless i just don't like the burger no matter how fresh it is). Our store manager is really strict about procedures and things like that though. Also about how clean the store is he love to clean, and does way to much work, he might as well put a bed out the back and sleep

sharmie

Postby Ally » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:30 pm

Sheesh send him up here Sharmie to straighten them out!! The work standards at the macca's store is terrible!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby yummymummy » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:04 pm

Ive just got into the salads at maccas because I can pick them up on the wway to work and have it for my evening meal, and the warm chicken salad is pretty yummy and always has been fresh-its great for a takeout altenative & I know it meets all my sureslim criteria for fat and protien amounts which is really strict
mabye you got a dodgy maccas on your hands there!!
Jody
Jody

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w3enhEK/]
[/url]
yummymummy

Postby zoeh » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:38 pm

All the ingredients as well as all the details of calories etc of each meal is on the maccas website: http://www.mcdonalds.com.au i thought it was quite interesting...

I can see the point of view of what is the point of going to maccas to get a salad, but I reckon there would be times where it would be really convenient. For instance, if you have kids and you "have to take them to maccas" (ie they won't stop whinging until they go) and there is nothing for you to eat, at least you can get away with a salad.

I havent been to maccas for years. I dont like red meat and deep fried foods so there isnt a lot for me to choose from. I've been wanting to get some yoghurt from there now and then but I think it might be too sweet... I like that thick natural yoghurt stuff and if its all sugary ich...

I remember years and years ago when I was a kid my parents took us to Maccas and I ordered some special burger they had at the time that had a few extra salad items, without meat and sauce (I hate sauce too) and the manager came out to see who had ordered what was a salad bun hahaha

I used to love their hot cakes though, but last time I had them I felt so gross afterwards, it tasted so sweet...

Maybe because I eat pretty well my body finds it harder and harder to accept things high in sugar. Or maybe it was just from a bad maccas... they didnt taste that good...
zoeh

PreviousNext

Return to Diet Talk