It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:26 am

Free Newsletter

Help me prove my wife wrong!!!

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

Help me prove my wife wrong!!!

Postby smileyguy » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:45 pm

I'm having an argument with my wife. I've just lost about 8kg and she thinks my diet is unhealthy because I don't get enough carbs. I'm not on a mission to ban carbs - I've just tried to limit myself to 8000kj a day and and therefore am choosing low kj foods. I am 30ys old, male, 172cm tall and now weigh somewhere between 80-83kg. Here's a typical daily diet for me. Can anybody tell me if they think I'm not getting enough carbs and even better POINT ME TO SOME RELIABLE SOURCE OF INFORMATION:

BREAKFAST
60grams AllBran with lite soy milk (every day)

MORNING TEA
1 medium banana (OK - sometimes large!)
1 tub nestle diet yogurt

LUNCH
4 pieces of fruit - typically peaches, nectarines, pear or similar (no more bananas for the day!)

DINNER
1 medium serving of various meat (chicken, lamb, fish, beef)
A soup bowl full of steamed vegies (love zuchinni, peas, carrots, pumpkin etc etc)

DESSERT
fruit e.g., orange, rockmelon etc

DAILY SNACKS - a couple of arowroot bikkies with coffee (4 sugars in total for the day).

I know there's a lot of fruit in there, but I'd go mad if I didn't have it and it has been working for me! (although weight loss slowing down a little).

I was including 30 mins of fast walking on the treadmill 5 days a week at least. This has slowed down but now jog 3 times a week for 30 minutes (with breaks!)

i generally feel tonnes better unless I don't get enough sleep.

SO - Let's get back to the main question. Who is wrong: me or my wife???

My wife says I'm not getting enough carbs but I think I'm getting enough energy needs out of my reserves and all that fruit! Do I need the energy to come from carbs or is fruit good enough (and doesn't fruit have carbs anyway)? :D
smileyguy

Postby SarahC » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:51 pm

Looks like you are getting loads of carbs! Especially with all that fruit :shock: It looks really good to me actually :)

You could use calorieking.com.au to calculate your carb intake. I'm sure that there is more than enough 8)
SarahC

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:41 pm

Yeah the fruit would definitely provide a decent amount of carbs! I know what you mean about loving fruit, there are some days where I could just sit down and eat a massive bowl of fresh fruit salad for lunch and be satisfied :)
zeedeveelgirl

Postby Ally » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:24 am

If you weight is slowing down a little it could be from too much fruit (not so much the carb content, but the natural sugars in the fruit) Carbs are an important part of a healthy diet, but you haven't cut them out altogether, so I can't see that you are doing yourself any harm....may I suggest that if you cut down on your fruit intake that you may add some mountain bread (very carb conscious) or the like to help not cut them down too much....however your food intake seems ok....I agree with Sarah... you could monitor your carbs on calorie king for awhile to make sure you are on the right track..... http://www.calorieking.com.au hope this helps you :wink:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby smileyguy » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:08 am

Good advice - I think I'd rather pick up the jogging than lose the fruit though! Although I've been enjoying a raw carrot for lunch on a few days (replacing 1 piece of fruit).
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w9BSbBe/]
[/url]
smileyguy

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:06 am

LOL give up them arrowroot bikkies!!! i followed low carb and lost weight and felt great- i feel sick when i eat carb rich foods. you are getting heaps of carbs in ur fruit and veg. i didnt even eat pumpkin and limited my carrots to about 4 nights a week because they have carbs too. u are also eating cereal that has carbs. maybe your wife is feeling a bit intimidated by your weightloss? sounds like you are doing really well, you arent starving urself and you are eating sensibly.
kate_turner2000

Postby smileyguy » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:35 am

In a normal diet (not a weight loss one), does it matter if you get your energy from carbs or from foods with natural sugars (like fruit)?
[/url]
smileyguy

Postby yummymummy » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:53 am

My hubby can lose weight and maintain it and eat heaps and heaps of fruit- so maybe its a boy thing they can handle more sugars than girls
Im not good at what amount of carbs/protien ect we should be having but are you getting enough protien? maybe add a little protien at lunch
Jody
Jody

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w3enhEK/]
[/url]
yummymummy

Postby bluebox451 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:54 am

The girls are right, fruit is classed as carbs as its not protein or fat. Your wife must be a bit jealous me thinks! :wink: You must be looking good if you're weighing that much. Post some photos if u want!
Your diet looks like 90% carbs to me. Remember, some vegies are classed as carbs as well (carrots, pumpkin, corn, peas) even things like lentils & beans contain more carbs than protein. Yoghurt as well. If I were you I'd maybe cut down on some fruit and have a bit of extra protein instead.
WHat about your training, maybe change to interval training and add some weights to your program.
If its working for you then stick with it but that's how I started (heaps of fruit) and when I stopped losing weight I had to cut it down and it seemed to work. EVen though its good for you it still contains a lot of (natural) sugar so I'd limit it as much as you can without feeling like you're missing out. Overall ,it sounds as if you're doing really well so keep going!
Liz :D
bluebox451

Postby Ally » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:54 am

I can't answer you question directly on that one, but I know with actual weight loss plans they recommend only 2-3 pieces of fruit per day because the natural sugars can actually make you gain weight if you have too much of it....does that make sense??
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby smileyguy » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:55 pm

Thanks for the tips! It all makes sense - gotta use more than I stuff in my cake hole!

For the first 6-7 weeks I was losing 1 kg a week then it slowed down the last 3 weeks but I think it's still going slowly. It started so quickly because I just cut out all the crap! I was having two honey sandwiches every night before bead (it's like having CAKE - yummy!!!) Cut out all fizzy drinks & cordial - now drink water only (& a couple of coffees). My job involves IT support and as i went from office to office I would steal a bikkie or piece of cake from each one!!! No more of that either. I don't mind it's slowed down a little, but this last 5-7kg will be harder I know. I feel so much better already that it's been worth it so far. I tried interval training a couple of times - man that's hard!

Where do I find more protein?
[/url]
smileyguy

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:01 pm

kate_turner2000

Postby smileyguy » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:03 pm

ha ha - thanks bluebox. I'm trying to get to the weight I was when I met my wife!

As for jealousy - I think she's just sick of me talking about it! Technically she doesn't think the diet is sustainable after I achieve my goal weight because of the so called lack of carbs. She has a point, but I insist that I am on a 'weight loss' diet - not a normal diet. I hope to add back a few things once I am a little lighter, like PASTA!!!
[/url]
smileyguy

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:46 pm

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that carbs (carbohydrates) are sugars and things that break down into sugars (complex carbohydrates) therefore fruit sugars ARE carbohydrates????

As far as I can see that looks pretty good, although I would up the protein with some vegetable sources (such as pulses - beans, lentils etc) - maybe have a salad for lunch with lots of salad vegies (lettuce, capsicum, tomato, cucumber, maybe some apple, avocado, maybe some corn or grated carrot...whatever you fancy) and a small tin of mixed beans?
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby KimE » Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:41 am

You certainly are getting plenty of carbs. People think if you not eating bread, rice or pasta you are missing out. My hubby sometimes says this as he only really sees my dinner and I tend to have very few starchy carbs at this time simply because I don't need the energy then. Through the day I have big carbs at breaky and lunch cause I workout in the middle of the day.

Although you main source of carbs appears to be fruit so that is a simple carb whereas veges, legumes, rice, pasta, breads are complex carbs. You may not be getting as many nutrients from the fruit as you would from complex carbs. The complex carbs can also be broken down to fibrous and starchy. Also all carbs do not have the same quality and the higher the quality the better they will be for you...usually determined by how processed they are. Eg. beans, chickpeas, fresh veges would be better than wholemeal pasta which in turn would be better than white bread. For me to do the regular exercise that I do I don't think I could be fueled by fruit alone and since I am not carbohydrate sensitive I always have some for of carb for lunch (wholemeal/grain bread, wholemeal pasta or brown rice).

If it is working for you and you don't feel you are missing out on something or are having blood sugar spikes then keep it up.

And remember everyone wants to give you advice when you mention weightloss. I have maintained for 4 months (not a big deal in the overall scheme but a good start I think) and still get people telling me about the 'latest' diet and giving me tips.

So did you manage to convince your wife?
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Next

Return to Diet Talk