It is currently Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:47 am

Free Newsletter

Dietitians vs Mainstream Weight Loss Programs

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

Dietitians vs Mainstream Weight Loss Programs

Postby zoeh » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:44 am

Hi

I was just wondering if anyone has seen a dietician about their weight loss and whether they are worth the money?

I have done a few weight loss programs and things but they never seem to work - they are very generic and its sometimes hard to tailor them appropriately (no wheat, no dairy, not a lot of protein (my body finds it hard to break down a lot of protein), no red meat). I am just wondering if a dietician would be worth it or if they are just a rip off.

I mean i am counting calories and doing exercise but I want to be as healthy as I can be not just lose weight and find days I am sluggish and eat junk to pep me up more and things like that..

Anyway would love to hear people's experiences with Dieticians.

If anyone could recommend a good one in Melbourne that would be fantastic.

Thanks!!

:D
zoeh

Postby Mandie » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:25 am

I saw a dietician at the very beginning of my weight loss journey and it was REALLY helpful.

Sometimes it's really good to get a clear idea of what you should be eating each day from a professsional. For example, I had NO idea that I wasn't having enough calcium - and it turns out that calcium intake is one of the keys to weight loss... people who are calcium deficient have a lot more trouble losing weight. I started having more dairy, and it really helped!

I think you would only need a few sessions and then you would be right on your own.

Sorry, I don't know any in Melbourne, but maybe your GP could recommend one?
Mandie

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:30 am

wow thats interesting to know about the calcium deficiency thanks mandie!
kate_turner2000

Postby Mandie » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:33 am

yup - although, as a warning - it doesn't help if you overload on calcium (ie take supplements when you don't need them), but you should definitely get your recommended daily intake every day!
Mandie

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:38 am

mmm ive always loved dairy so its definately not an issue for me hehe
kate_turner2000

Postby yummymummy » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:41 pm

There is a member that gets on here from time to time ( I cant remember her name :( ) who used a dietition to help her lose weight and she managed to lose over 50% of her body weight and looks very healthy
Jody

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w3enhEK/]
[/url]
yummymummy

Postby zoeh » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:33 pm

oh my god over 50% that is an incredible amount!!!

I am seeing a dietician tomorrow

I am looking forward to it!
zoeh

Postby zoeh » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:00 pm

WEll i said this in my personal progress thread but incase anyone was listening in on this thread..:

I went to see that dietician today

she was such a cow that I wanted to walk out, I felt so horrid.

You know when people just look you up and down and just have a stupid laugh and make you feel really uncomfortable

She basically didnt listen to anything I was saying or gave me any advice except to follow the healthy food pyramid

and i told her I eat protein bars after dance class and she goes 'do you know whats in them?' and i said 'protein and im sure other things' and she laughed and said 'oh my god you dont even know whats in them'

i seriously wanted to walk out or cry and its put me in the worst mood all day

i am never going back to them ever or any dietician stupid cow i seriously felt like there was something wrong with me
zoeh

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:08 pm

theyres definately not anything wrong with you zoeh. i just think it was her problem (whatever it may have been). maybe a naturopath would be better? dont feel down, you have done nothing wrong,
kate_turner2000

Postby bluebox451 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:26 pm

What a B*TCH!!! :evil: :evil:
You should only do a job like that if you genuinely want to help people and listen to their stories. I cant believe she was so mean!! OK, OK, off to the cranky corner for me! Just forget her! I'm sure if you tried someone else you'd be fine but if you dont want to, then you can get heaps of info and plenty of support here. Just ask, between us all we can come up with the answers to your questions.
Liz :)
bluebox451

Postby Ally » Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:36 pm

In all seriousness Zoe....you should report her.....she is so wrong to treat anyone that way, and should not be allowed to get away with such offensive behaviour...chin up darl, we are here for you and will help you where and when we can! 8)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby yummymummy » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:00 pm

far out what a cow! people shouldnt be allowed to get away with that sort of behaviour
chin up
Jody
Jody

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w3enhEK/]
[/url]
yummymummy

Postby Justjudy » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:07 pm

Sounds like you definitely saw the WRONG dietition Zoeh. I know that it is a scary thought, but maybe you should try another one. Dietitians are just people so maybe she was the wrong person for you. I saw a dietitian many years ago, and it helped me no end, I lost weight and became far healthier for it. See if you can get a referral to another one.

Judy :D
Reach for the moon, at least you'll land among the stars.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wFABM9h/]
[/url]
Justjudy

Postby ZelmaWA » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:16 pm

I have a friend who is a dietician and she has helped me along the way to realise that I didn't know as much as I thought about food and nutrition. I lost 15-20kg before she and I became friends and I lost the other 67kg or so with hints and tips (and lots of positive support) from her.

She would be DISGUSTED to hear that there was someone out there who called herself a dietician and treated people like the way you were treated. She lost 35+kg herself a number of years ago, so she knows the struggle first hand. I'm not sure whether that helps, or whether she is just a compassionate type of person, but she has NEVER had a bad word to say to me about anything I am doing, (except if I talk badly about myself).

I hope that you perhaps try another dietician and when you do, you should mention this other person. It is of absolutely NO help to anyone to be put down and ridiculed when they seek help.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Zelma
Losing weight has given me a "Freedom" that I had never previously experienced as an adult... and I am LOVING it!!!

160kg (2004)... 73kg (2006)... Working on maintaining.

See my photos at: http://www.zelma.neilknobbe.com
ZelmaWA

Postby Mandie » Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:18 pm

agreed with above.. thats horrible the way she treated you

my dietician was lovely to me - see if you can get a recommendation from someone in your area?
Mandie

Next

Return to Diet Talk