It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:18 am

Free Newsletter

Aitkins

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

Aitkins

Postby Monica » Sun May 13, 2007 8:27 am

Any info on this one?? Sounds too good to be true to me.

I think it is pretty much the same as the South Beach diet and the CSIRO wellbeing diet....

What do you guys think? :D
Monica

Postby Chelle » Thu May 17, 2007 3:54 pm

I remember it being on tv when they were testing out 6 different diest by memory people found it hard to do as they were starving the first week & were very lathargic throughout the diest but did manager to losse some weight while they were on it
Chelle

Postby Jisgone » Thu May 17, 2007 5:50 pm

i saw it on the great diet debate and i think alot of people regained the weight, its moe of a diet than a lifestyle change
Jisgone

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Fri May 18, 2007 10:35 am

basically it's a no carbs diet. You can eat all the fat, grease and protein in the world, fried sausages, steak, bacon, butter etc, but no carbs which means no bread, pastry, sugar, most fruits, many vegetables (including potato, so no steak and chips) etc - nothing sugary or starchy, including the naturally occuring stuff. (at least that's my understanding)

A friend of my sister went on it - or at least she went on it but decided she also just had to have toast with her bacon and couldn't give up icecream and chocolate and had to have chips with her steak :roll: In other words she just added fatty stuff to her usual diet - I don't think she lost anything.

Basically, to me it doesn't sound either healthy (since you are actually upping saturated fats and also restricting your dietary range) and most certainly not very sustainable. It works by forcing your body to use it's fat stores because it's getting no carbohydrates which is where your energy comes from. Problem is, once you've lost it, you go back to your previous eating because you didn't learn how to eat healthily and then whammo, back comes the fat. You would also have to REALLY like meat.

To be fair, some people have lost and kept it off and different strokes for different folks and all that, but I'm just not a fan of 'diets' (Can you tell?)
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri May 18, 2007 11:37 am

i think jennifer annistan was on this aitkens thing
kate_turner2000

Postby Monica » Wed May 23, 2007 2:49 pm

the stage the butterfly dawn is talking about is 'stage 1' and that is where most of the weight is lost.

once you are close to your goal weight, week by week you increase your carbs (mainly veggies and other 'healthy carbs') and reduce your meat (in proportion) until you have found the amount of carbs you can eat without putting on weight.... (For carb- aholics like myself - this strikes me as a really good idea.)

So in theory by the time you have reached your goal weight you will be eating a blend of meats, fats and carbs that allows you to maintain your goal weight...

Anyway.. sounds like I know the deit pretty well myself - may have to search the www in my quest for more info.. :? thanks anyway guys!!
Monica

Postby slimmindown » Thu May 24, 2007 12:45 pm

my sister and my mum went on the aitkens diet, they both lost heaps of weight,but to me ate things that arent good for you like high fat foods, I worried about their cholesterol.
My mum is now struggling to keep the weight off as every time she eats any carbs her body grabs it and stores it as quick as lightning..and she puts on weight.
my sister went a little ga ga for a while because her body was constantly in a starvation mode from carbs. Personally,in my opinion, I dont like what it did for them . My mum doesnt recommend it now either.

But, there is a lifestyle change out there for everyone this may be yours, good luck with the net surfing 8) 8) 8)
[no excuses, I can do it!
slimmindown

Return to Diet Talk