It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:27 am

Free Newsletter

Is this normal?

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

Is this normal?

Postby zojo » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:03 pm

I have noticed over the past week + a bit, that I am becoming a tad obsessive regarding how many Cal's I eat in a day :shock:

I am starting to "avoid" certain foods because "oh they're too high in kj's or cal's" when really they aren't :oops:

Also, if I eat anything...I feel like I should jump on the Treadmill for half an hour or so..I start to get the attack of the guilts :(

While I'm no where close to being underweight, I can hoenstly really see how people can become Anorexic or Bulimic..and please I'm not having a go at anyone here if there is anyone with a past history..I'm just letting you all know what I'm going thru at the mo.

Is this normal??

I'm allowed 1600 Cal's per day..and I'm eating like between 1200 => 1500 max..and exercising like crazy as otherwise I feel like "oh no..I'm putting on weight and I'm getting fat just sitting here". :(

Don't get me wrong, I feel great..I'm eating healthily and doing exercise..I feel happy and I'm even starting to sleep a bit better at night..all of which is a vast improvement compared to what things were like say a month ago.

Did anyone go thru this and is it going to go on forever?? :shock:

Regards,
zojo.
START WEIGHT:80kgs
CURRENT WEIGHT:76kgs
6 WK CHALLENGE:76kgs
12 WK CHALLENGE:70kgs
ULTIMATE GOAL:60kgs
zojo

Postby sassi » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:29 pm

hi zojo

i don't know about anyone else, but i have definitely done a similar thing in the past. i lost a little bit of weight (and put it back on - d'oh) but i did become a little obsessed.

i dunno the in's & out's of it all, but it seems to me that it's a bit of a control thing. i think it's also normal to be really hyper about the weight loss journey when you start out (that's not necessarily a bad thing!).

i think the main thing is that you're feeling great & sleeping better - so, your changes are for the better.

i reckon things tend to even out a bit the longer you go on as you work all the good habits into your everyday life and your eating does balance out a bit (well, it did for me).

i think the hardest lesson for me was that i thought that the experience of losing weight would always be positive - i didn't realise that i would still feel down on odd occasions when i was still seeing a loss on the scales....i read a post in here recently that said that they felt like the journey was like peeling layers of skin off an onion. i can't remember who it was but that was exactly how i felt. it's not an easy journey. there are so many different emotions that you go through.

don't be too hard on yourself, and sorry for rambling on so much! :)
sassi

Postby zojo » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:11 pm

Thanx sooo much for your post Sassi :)

I find myself relating foods to how much time I'd have to spend on the Treadmill or how long I'd have to do a Swiss ball workout..iykwim..??

You know like if a particular food or meal had approx. 300 Cals that would mean I'd have to get on the Treadmill for at least 45 mins or 4.5 kms so I would avoid eating that much or that particular food. :?

I do this the whole day thru..and I've even stopped drinking things like Apple juice as they're high in sugars etc..so I drink plain ol' water instead..not that that's a bad thing or anything..but I'll avoid having any Kj's if I can.

I hope it does settle down soon..as I don't want myself to become a complete food nazi with what I eat :(
zojo

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:00 pm

hey zojo just remember that the more exercise you do the more cals you need.
kate_turner2000

Postby zojo » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:53 am

Thanx Kate..I have noticed that :shock:

I'm using CalorieKing atm and every time I fill in my exercise for the day..I seem to be "allowed" to eat more ??? But what is the point? I want to lose weight not eat more! :shock: :?
zojo

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:03 am

just remember you do have to eat to lose weight. If your energy expenditure is too much above your intake, your body will go into what we on the forum refer to as 'starvation mode' which is when your body says "holy hell, I'm starving, better shut my metabolism down and hold on to every last ounce of anything". What those calculators do is say "well you've exercised x much, in order to have your energy intake at the apropriate level to lose weight but not go into starvation mode, you need to eat x much" obviously, the calorie intake will increase the more you exercise, but it will still work out to be slightly less than what you expend.

At the beginning it is very obsessive because you are learning a new skill (think about learning to drive and how much you thought about every single thing to do with driving... "now I put my indicators on, and check. and check. and check again, just to make sure. Then I turn the wheel..."). BUT it is possible to go too far. If you are concerned about your thinking about weightloss it can't hurt to discuss it with your doctor.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Ally » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:57 pm

Well put Tegan.....I agree totally.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:10 am

I have definitely experienced this!!! Although I should have been eating about 1500cal a day, I was lucky if I reached 1200cal, I'd continually try to 'beat' my record of calories I'd eaten in a day by consuming less, and I'd panic if I went above a certain amount.. I was quite obsessive at one point!!!

I scared myself back into eating properly by reading a topic in another forum that talks about your body going into 'starvation mode' (like what Tegan was just talking about), because if you don't eat enough, your body holds onto the fat you do have after a while so you stop losing weight!!!

It's a hard time to go through, because you think "surely if I eat less I'll lose more!?!", but only if you're eating ENOUGH! When you do increase, increase slowly, don't just go from eating 1200cal one day to 1600cal the next, increase it by maybe 150cal a day so that you don't shock your body.

Hope this helps :)
Em
zeedeveelgirl

Postby zojo » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:08 am

thank you all for you advice :D

It's nice to know that there are other's or have been other's out there who've experienced what I'm going thru now :)

I hoping that it's just the excitement of it all and that I'll calm the heck down LOL..

I'll keep you posted about how I'm feeling too. :wink:

zojo.
xx
zojo

Postby vanessa0305 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:35 pm

I have to say I find this happens to me a lot!! But I think that if you have a lot of weight to lose (I had almost 30kgs) then you almost have to become obsessive.

I knew what I had to do and I counted everything I ate and ever exercise I did! But I also knew about the starvation hormones and knowing my limits. I wanted to be healthy as well as lose weight!

To lose my weight I was very disciplined, I found I had to be, so its not always a bad thing as long as you do whats healthy for your body. (eating under 1200 cals is not healthy and will put your weight loss backwards)
Vanessa

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/woi7sgh/]
[/url]
vanessa0305

Postby zojo » Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:42 pm

vanessa0305 wrote:I have to say I find this happens to me a lot!! But I think that if you have a lot of weight to lose (I had almost 30kgs) then you almost have to become obsessive.

I am wanting to lose at least 26 kgs Vanessa..so yeah..I would definitely say that that is "a lot" of weight that I need to shed :(
zojo

Return to Diet Talk