It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:45 am

Free Newsletter

Christmas Day

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

Christmas Day

Postby emma21 » Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:05 pm

I know Christmas is a time of year that people who are trying to lose weight dread but what will be on your Christmas table this year? What has usually been on offer in past years?

I am 90% in control of what will be consumed Christmas Day by our family - but still have no idea of what I will serve... Thank Santa I work well under pressure :lol:

Emma :)
emma21

Postby Dolly » Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:26 pm

Traditional Christmas dinner
Nuts and raisins

Salmon mayonnaise on a bed of lettuce with rolls and butter

Roast turkey with stuffing

Glazed ham garnished with pineapple and maraschino cherries served with gravy

Roast potatoes

Glazed peas and carrots

Christmas pudding with brandy butter, custard and ice cream

Chocolates with coffee and liqueurs

Champagne

Light Christmas dinner
Chilled melon balls in brandy, decorated with glazed ginger and maraschino cherries

Cold roast turkey slices

Cold glazed ham slices, garnished with pineapple and maraschino cherries

Potato salad with a yoghurt, herb and mustard dressing

Mixed salad of lettuce, tomato wedges, cucumber slices, olives, chopped green pepper, onion rings, and feta cheese with a French dressing

Carrot salad with an orange juice dressing

Fresh fruit salad with apricot sorbet

Coffee

Champagne
Dolly

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:21 am

I have no idea what Christmas will bring diet wise. Christmas day will be at the bloke's big family gathering, but last year they did a fairly varied thing (like a buffet) so I will choose salads and anything that looks vaguely ok.

Boxing day will be at my parent's and I'm guessing it will probably be lasagne (mum's fave 'special' dish) and salad and probably some of dad's chrissy pudding for dessert.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Fairie » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:55 am

I have always cooked the Traditional Xmas lunch with all the trimmings but this year it will be cold meats and lot of salads. I will have a few nuts but lots of fruit. :D
-Fay-

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSDGUdx/]
[/url]
Fairie

Postby losebabyfat_2005 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:18 am

I'm quite scared of what xmas will bring diet wise. Both sides of the family have very tempt seet and junky things, I wonder if they'd be offended if I brought some of my own stuff to eat.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wgD7vDi/]
[/url]
losebabyfat_2005

Postby Dolly » Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:09 am

Tanya, how about turning it around and and YOU feeling offended that there is no suitable food for you.
Of course you can make a plate up and take it with you, I do it so often it's expected of me now, it's just something the family will have to get used to.

I once went to a Christmas dinner at my sisters and only selected the foods I could see looked healthy.
The turkey looked safe WRONG, it had been bathed in sweet, salty juices whilst cooking. I also ate a little ham and it made me gain weight too. The salads all had dressings, so I only took a tiny amount of them.
Then the desserts came out, there were fruit mince pies, cheesecake, christmas pudding with whipped cream, a gingercake with icecream, and a Pavlova.
I ate non of these and I felt starving yet I still managed to gain weight :shock: I believe that the only way to assure that your meal will be healthy is to prepare a plate of your own to eat.
The idea I think is just to enjoy eating with your loved ones, it's not about who has prepared your meal.
Perhaps you could even make your plate up to be healthy version of what they are eating, that way no one will hardly notice :D
Dolly

Postby losebabyfat_2005 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:22 am

thanks for the info, it made my day. I think I will take my own food.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wgD7vDi/]
[/url]
losebabyfat_2005

Postby hushpuppy » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:04 pm

We always have a biiiiiig xmas lunch with my brothers family mine and mum . This year i told my sis in law i would do the salads then i knows that they wont be smotherd in oils ect . They all know about my lifesyle change (not diet) and are trying to accomodate me but at leasr i will have healthy salads
Cheers Jules
[url=http://www..com]Image[blinkiebee/url]
SW 107kg
CW 99.8kg
GW 65kg
hushpuppy

Return to Diet Talk