It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:06 am

Free Newsletter

what food have you never had?

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

what food have you never had?

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:27 pm

just curious as to what foods people have never tried and if you are willing to try them at all?
kate_turner2000

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:02 pm

I've never tried Artichokes, I thought of that one cos I know that Sarah from this forum loves them :P I'd definitely be willing to try em!! I just really don't know what to do with them!
zeedeveelgirl

Postby Playboy_bunny » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:17 pm

ooh yeah artichokes, Ive never had them :) Summer squash, swede, beetroot (i am the only person I know who has never eaten beetroot!) lol mango! Their are so many things I have never tried but Im worried if I buy them and sacrifice something yummy (ike my granny smith apples mmmmm :D) and I dont like them itll be a waste....I think Ill google a bit and see if I can find some yummy recipes :D
What about you Kate?
Image•·.·´¯`·.·•Gracie•·.·´¯`·.·•
Playboy_bunny

Postby Niglet » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:17 pm

I've had a life-long fear of papayas.

Come on, those slimey black seeds look so sinister!
I believe in the madness called "now".

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wQdQcaI/]
[/url]
Niglet

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:23 pm

theres heaps of foods i havent tried that i am not willing to try at all. HATE seafood and will not go near it.

i have swede quite often its yummy ;) often put it in stews and casseroles :)

um...

id like to try more herbs and spices to be honest but never really know what to do with them. each grocery shop i have been picking up a jar of spice or herbs and adding it to my collection :)
kate_turner2000

Postby Playboy_bunny » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:33 pm

ooh that sounds like me! I have about 30 little jars of herbs and spices and spice mixes that are unopened! :? lol Im allergic to seafood and shellfish so I dont have that prob! :D mmm I always thought papaya looked yummy! :lol: lol still havent tried it though
Playboy_bunny

Postby Niglet » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:38 pm

kate_turner2000 wrote:theres heaps of foods i havent tried that i am not willing to try at all. HATE seafood and will not go near it.

Seconded :(
I believe in the madness called "now".

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wQdQcaI/]
[/url]
Niglet

Postby sassi » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:33 am

i mostly just steer clear of offal. that said, i ate haggis when i lived in scotland. i'll try most things.
sassi

Postby SarahC » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:37 am

Artichokes are great. Put them on a pizza :wink:

What have I never eaten... animal's internal organs of any description. Can't think of anything more horrible!
SarahC

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:52 am

yes i havent eaten animal organs either *shudder* but i do eat meat. i also havent eaten rabbit or game either. dont think id want to try them. theres different variety of lettuces i havent had but i would be willing to try them :)
kate_turner2000

Postby jeshka » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:22 pm

there's a fair few things i haven't tried, offal being one of the ones that i don't plan to try. i've had a few wierd things - ostrich meat, lambs tongues (my mum cooked them up once and told us they were something else :( we were not impressed when we found out!!) - i'm keen to try a few new things like yum cha, and wouldn't mind seeing what papaya and starfruit are like!

kate, i don't know how you could not eat seafood?!? i loooove the stuff!! i'm a sucker for prawns, lobster, crab, salmon, etc - there's a great seafood restaurant in Terrigal too, they have the best food! but each to their own of course!! hehe

i used to hate mango, but i tried it again a few years ago and have been addicted since. i didn't try Thai until around the same time and love that aswell. I won't touch mushrooms, onion, capsicum, olives, anchovies, or licorice - i HAVE tried them but just find them disgusting!! all my friends and family hate that i'm fussy because they love putting onion and mushroom in EVERYTHING!

sorry i went off on a bit of a tangent here :/
jeshka

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:38 pm

mmm i love mushroom onion and capsicum! i am a fussy eater too. i wont eat from any asian food places or buy even hot chips from a fish and chip shop because i cant stand the smell of seafood. i do love mexican food though and italian. i like curry but not hot hot hot curry.
kate_turner2000

Postby Ally » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:59 pm

Hey Sarah I know this is probably a weird request but what would you like artichoke to the taste of?? Is there anything it is remotely like or does it have a taste all of its own???

There are some weird and wonderful fruits on the market that I would like to try....but don't ask me to name them as I only got as far as looking at them on the shelf!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby Playboy_bunny » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:29 pm

lol @ the cow's tongue :D
My nana went to singapore and thought she was eating mushrooms, but turned out to be monkey's testicles :shock: :lol: hahaha
Playboy_bunny

Postby milkyway » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:00 pm

I've eaten a lot of internal organs by mistake, especially when I lived in China and couldn't read the menus and would just pick something randomly and then later find out I'd eaten chicken anuses or something equally gross. But actually, it's not that bad - like pig tripe and steamed pigs trotters. Once I had whole baby birds deep fried and battered on a skewer come out and I just couldn't bring myself to eat it. Poor little things died just for me. But I'm sure the kitchen staff happily devoured them when I sent them back. And I did pay for them.

I've eaten just about anything (except whale) that comes out of the ocean - raw and cooked, from sea worms and a whole variety of seaweed - love the stuff! Stingray is one of my faves.

I even ate a bit of dog by mistake once :( ... and goat which was quite nice, bbq'd on a skewer with nice spices.

And I've had snake and crocodile (yes, they taste like chicken... and the croc was really fatty) and various other game. I used to eat rabbit kidneys when I was younger. They were a weekend treat for me, just like a giant baked bean :P until I cottoned on to why all the other kids weren't eating them too. Eeew!

I won't eat deep friend insects but my husband will snack on grasshoppers and scorpions and whatnot when we travel in Asia.

I don't like most fruit and there's a whole lot of veggies I don't like either. I haven't tried a lot of tropical fruits - like mango and all those SE Asian things. I haven't eaten artichokes either. But I'm pretty sure my mum put just about every veggie in the world on my plate at some point and made me eat it until once I vomited pumpkin back onto my plate (eeew!) and she never forced me again :) I'm pretty boring with my veggies but I eat a lot more now than I did even five years ago. Living overseas in a new culinary culture will do that to a girl.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Next

Return to Diet Talk