It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:58 pm

Free Newsletter

what food have you never had?

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby shelbel » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:07 pm

OMIGOD Milkyway!!!

My stomach is churning reading that!!! Id never do food lucky dips!!!! But i guess you had little choice at the time. Maybe i have no sense of adventure!!! :D :D
Highest Weight - 93kgs
Current Weight - 68.3kgs
Goal Weight - 65kgs

The wise man Stephen King once said - The only way to go on, is to go on. To say 'i can do this' even when you know you cant

You'll find me in the almost there section :)
shelbel

Postby Fireball » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:11 pm

We have some very adventurous people in this forum. I have eaten everything I've been offered to date. This is my favourite quote, "I didn't get this gorgeous girly figure by being fussy." lol I did however hesitate when offered chicken feet at Yum Cha but my friend who is Chinese assured me they are a great delicacy. They were spicy, chewy and quite nice but wont be going on my regular menu.

Marcia

"Unknowingly, we plow the dust of the stars, blown about us by the wind, and drink the universe in a glass of rain."
Ihab Hassan
Fireball

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:25 pm

hey san

when you were in asia were there some places where you werent supposed to eat due to hygiene and stuff? i know in africa was could only eat fruit and veg which needed to be peeled before eating, and bottled water etc. i think i was practically a vegan the whole trip with the exception of being on the qantas flights :P you eat like a king on those qantas flights!
kate_turner2000

Postby milkyway » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:39 pm

Oh Kate I've suffered from so much food poisoning over the years spent in Asia. It became a monthly affair in South Korea and almost everyday in China, one of the reasons I left - I even got it when I cooked and prepared my own food. I was living in such a cesspit. I also suffered from colds a lot in Korea - you just don't have the built up immunity that the locals do and teaching 30+ kids per class, well, you pick up just about every bug going around. Worst case ever was on Christmas Eve :( I started vomiting at 2am on Christmas Day and it didn't stop for 3 days and it lasted about 5-6 days on the other end. I should have gone to hospital but was scared my boss would think I was being a pathetic homesick foreigner at christmas time and he'd punish me by giving me saturday classes :evil: ... so I soldiered on and just dashed to the loo in mid class if I had to...

I'm definitely not as careful as I should be - I eat street food (though less so in the hotter summer months) and only once got food poisoning from street food a seafood pancake I ate in Korea. It was delish, though :P

That was a pretty nasty bout, too. About two days after it hit, I skulked into Mackers cos I thought that was the only food I would be able to eat EVER again :lol: I was so embarrassed about eating at Mackers, thinking all the locals were thinking "dumb foreigner can't eat Korean food". hahaha.

Shouldn't drink the tap water in Korea - everyone gets those water dispensers in their homes and they're really cheap - not like here. But I brushed my teeth in it and used it for cooking and never had a problem.

I don't think I got any food poisoning in Thailand - spent about a month there, but I did get Typhus from an insect bite. Never in malaysia or HK ... just China and Sth K - but considering i lived there for over 2 years, you'd expect that. Never drink the water from the taps - always bottled, but it's always so cheap. Even in Vanuatu we weren't supposed to have ice in our drinks etc. but I always did and nothing happened...

My uni lecturer reckons that coke or beer are best when you're travelling as you're guaranteed not to get sick from them (unless you indulge in the beer, I guess).

When I go to India in Sept I WILL be really careful. I won't even brush my teeth in the water or put tap water on my face. I will probably go veggie for the few weeks I'm there, too. I won't be disappointed if I do get food poisoning at some point, but I will be surprised if I don't. I have anti-bacterial handwash that doesn't require water which I'll take everywhere with me.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby emma21 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:48 pm

Never eaten frogs legs :D

Dont know if I could either... poor little froggies :(
emma21

Postby milkyway » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:49 pm

I've never eaten them either - I bet they taste like chicken though :P
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:50 am

thanks for answering my Q san :) sounds really interesting and what an experience :) we drank a lot of soft drink whilst we were in africa too :P but had to drink it on the spot because they wanted their glass bottles back haha. and a few of the other teens i was with had guiness but it looked foul to me so i never had it :P
kate_turner2000

Postby A_Corner_Of_The_Earth » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:25 pm

zeedeveelgirl wrote:I've never tried Artichokes, I thought of that one cos I know that Sarah from this forum loves them :P I'd definitely be willing to try em!! I just really don't know what to do with them!

You have to try this recipe; it's so yummy I got addicted to artichokes when I was in Italy. Boil the artichokes till the leaves are soft. Break each leave and dunk in a lemon dressing (made with olive oil, lemon and garlic). You just eat the fleshy part of the leaf. It's so yummy.

I've also used baby artichokes in a broccoli and potato soup. I didn't know what to do with them so chucked it all in a blender and made a soup out of it. It's amazing what you can throw into a soup.

GW1 - 70kgs
GW2 - 67kgs
GW3 - 60kgs
A_Corner_Of_The_Earth

Postby A_Corner_Of_The_Earth » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:31 pm

I'm not a fussy eater and will eat pretty much anything that is placed before me with limits though :shock: I will not eat:

*Frogs legs
*snails
*squid
*any animal organs
*turkey
*rabbit
*duck

Fruit and veggie wise I will eat is all.

GW1 - 70kgs
GW2 - 67kgs
GW3 - 60kgs
A_Corner_Of_The_Earth

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:14 pm

oh turkey is yummy! i only eat the breast though. my mum thinks artichokes are nice steamed with butter and pepper
kate_turner2000

Postby Sassygirl » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:14 pm

Ok here goes:

FOOD NOT WILLING TO TRY:

oysters
offal and any animal organs
prawns
crab
basically all seafood except fish
tomatoes (raw not cooked)
peanut butter
2008 - my year to be great!!

Sassygirl

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:24 pm

wow you have never had peanut butter? what is it that you dont like about it? i dont like seafood because i dont like the smell or the look of it and i remember when i was about 6 years old i was forced to have a prawn touch me and it has turned me off lol
kate_turner2000

Postby Playboy_bunny » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:30 pm

LOl Im the same, I cant get past the fishy smell :) Even now when we go out for dinner, my dad will get prawns and line them up so thir little eyes are looking at me and say things like 'no, no please dont eat me!' as he eats them...then lines them up so I have to look them in the face... :( gross! mmmmm looove peanut butter! What is it you dont like about it? My little boy doesnt like the texture..he says it sticks all over his mouthy bits hehe dont ya love kid speak? :D
Image•·.·´¯`·.·•Gracie•·.·´¯`·.·•
Playboy_bunny

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:31 pm

LOL very descriptive :)

i cant even buy food from a fish and chip shop that isnt seafood because i dont like the idea of it all cooked together lol
kate_turner2000

Postby *KaTe* » Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:46 pm

I agree with the seafood thang, I only eat fish and thats it. I cannot eat any animal/crustation that is still in its original form. I'd love to not eat meat either but that aint gonna happen.

LOL Milkyway you've eaten some crazy stuff! Good for you! I never would...couldnt do it...and wouldnt want to! :D Asians do eat some very discusting things. I guess it's not being wasteful, but theres NO WAY I would eat the anus of anything...thats just wrong. I also dont like the way some animals are prepared for eating...deep fried birds?! Thats just cruel!

I never ate mushrooms and tried them around 4 months ago, and LOVE them in stir fry's etc.

LOL at the fish n chippy thing! And ewww at the fish smell at shops....if the fish was fresh it wouldnt smell....my boyf who is a mad fisherman told me that...

SMILE!!
*KaTe*

PreviousNext

Return to Diet Talk