It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:17 pm

Free Newsletter

Drinking while eating??

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

Drinking while eating??

Postby A_Corner_Of_The_Earth » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:15 pm

Last night I had a friend over for dinner. I noticed throughout the meal that I was the only one consuming the wine (oops :oops: :oops: ) and taking sips of water in between bites. I asked her why she said yes to having wine and water when she didn't feel like having some and she responded with this - "I never ever drink while eating and will not drink half an hour before or after a meal". I asked her to elaborate on this and basically she said it's washing away the acids in our stomach that help to break food down. Has anyone else heard of this?

It's got me curious as to wether this is true or whether my friend is misinformed. I've certainly never heard of this, so I'm going to do some searching on the net and see what I can find.

I would definitely like to hear people's opinion on this. To reiterate: should we drink while eating? Is it good or bad for food digestion?

GW1 - 70kgs
GW2 - 67kgs
GW3 - 60kgs
A_Corner_Of_The_Earth

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:05 pm

i would have thought that drinking- especially water whilst eating was a good thing to help with digestion. looking forward to hearing what you find out about it. maybe mandie can answer that question too :D
kate_turner2000

Postby A_Corner_Of_The_Earth » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:36 pm

I've started a general search on the net and have gotten arguments for both sides.

I will filter out what I find and post the info as I go. I'll try and post the most authoritative ones. If I could get onto a medical journal database lol.

GW1 - 70kgs
GW2 - 67kgs
GW3 - 60kgs
A_Corner_Of_The_Earth

Postby A_Corner_Of_The_Earth » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:52 pm

hmmm there are so many arguments for and against and nothing that I have come across so far can be backed up scientifically.

The general consensus is:

"If you drink while eating, it simply dilutes the enzymes in your stomach. The acid becomes diluted, and weak, and as a result your food can't be completely digested. This eventually leads to gas, and bloating"

So basically if you want better food digestion its argued not to consume water just before you eat as stomach acids are being diluted which leads to food not being digested effectively.

I am going to head of and watch couch and have a green tea (lol) will try something more conclusive later.

GW1 - 70kgs
GW2 - 67kgs
GW3 - 60kgs
A_Corner_Of_The_Earth

Postby gea » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:56 pm

I have read that it's best not to drink during a meal, it's best to wait 1 hour after a meal.
gea

Postby reester33 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:55 am

A lot of the food we consume is made up of water. What do they use as an explanation for that? :idea: :roll:

Hydrochloric acid is "hydrophyllic" which basically means that water soluble items are digested more quickly. :? Hmmm....have you ever wondered why you need to pee soooooooo quickly after drinking water? :shock: If the water stayed in the stomach (which it doesn't) it would dilute the acid....but this is not the case. It passes straight through into the small intestine where most of it is absorbed. :mrgreen:

So what about the gas I hear you ask? Stuff that is not hydrophyllic.....gets digested more slowly (like complex carbs such as starchy vegies) as they take longer to break down. If you eat something that digests slowly followed by something that digests quickly you promote gas production by fermentation of the sugars in the fast-digesting substance (ie: it keeps digesting as it gets stuck behind the other stuff). :mrgreen: For example....you should never eat fruit for dessert after a heavy meal.....BAD, BAD, BAD!!! :oops:

So the answer to your question would be it's OK to drink whilst you're eating. Fluid acts as a lubricant to aid swallowing. As for the drinking a glass of water before eating so your stomach fills up and you don't eat as much....well, I'm not sure about that. I'd hate to have to get up to pee in the middle of dinner! :lol:

I must say you guys are really testing me with all this anatomy and physiology stuff!!! :lol: Keep the questions coming! :lol:

:) M

I WAS EATING MYSELF TO DEATH WITH A KNIFE AND FORK!
reester33

Postby Mandie » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:22 pm

That's exactly what I was thinking maree!

I had a look around some medical journal databases to see what I could find, and basically, drinking while eating does not affect your digestion.

If anyone wants me to look up anything, feel free to ask - I get access through the med library and the hospital computers :)
Mandie

Postby Chelle » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:26 pm

I've never heard of it before it is interesting to read.
Chelle

Postby SarahC » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:33 pm

That is very interesting. I had never thought of that before. Glad to hear it's not true... I couldn't imagine not having a drink with my food!
SarahC

Postby Chelle » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:32 pm

same here Sarah
Chelle

Postby reester33 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:34 pm

I'm with you Mandie. I have 6 months access left to my databases but then caput! :lol: However I still have my anatomy and patho books....plus if I don't know the answer I love to research it! :lol:

So keep firing away with questions everyone!

:) M

I WAS EATING MYSELF TO DEATH WITH A KNIFE AND FORK!
reester33

Postby A_Corner_Of_The_Earth » Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:05 pm

Thanks for that very informative reply Reester33.

Glad to hear that it doesn't affect the rate of digestion at all. I don't think I could not have gone without water or wine ( :oops: ) with my meals.

GW1 - 70kgs
GW2 - 67kgs
GW3 - 60kgs
A_Corner_Of_The_Earth

Postby bluebox451 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:39 pm

HI. I've heard this theory before too (that water before or during meal s dilutes your digestive enzymes). My personal opinion is that it just refers to people who drink a large amount of water in the hope that they feel fuller and therefore eat less. I dont think it would make a big difference if you had a glass or two but maybe it would if you downed a litre or more. Personally, I feel sick if I consume a lot of water in one go.
Liz :)
bluebox451

Return to Diet Talk